The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon artwork for a menu board (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
I have picked up a number of balloon gigs over the next couple of months. Does anyone have some artwork to create a menu board so I don't have to keep repeating what I can make to all the kids?
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Dollar store?

Craigslist?

A piece of masonite from Home depot and a dry erase marker?

Printed pics Laminated (fed ex kinkos) and put on a metal snap ring ( like the ones they sell at Office Depot). Im not sure the exact name of those. The little kids would be able to read the picture book and point out what they want. Smile Just tryin to throw out some help. $.02. db
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I don't like menu boards 'cause I get to fit in so many bits of business during the process of their choosing.

I don't tell them what I can make, I just start making it. I have my funny lines and it goes much quicker and is more fun.

Just my way of working.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
I don't use menu boards either. I believe the only way the kids can learn how to make good decisions is by making decisions. Much of their life is dictated. Depending on their age and their parents, they might not even get to choose what they want to wear that day, or what they want to eat for breakfast. But one thing they can chose is the balloon creation they want from me.

Also, even if kids do get to choose what's for dinner, they probably can't chose ice cream. There are limits to the choices. It is very empowering for a child to be able to choose any balloon they want without limits. (The only limit is that I have to know what it looks like. If it is some exotic animal that I've never heard of then we have to go with your second choice.)
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
When I use a menu sheet, I use one I made with coloring book images. So, instead of having a picture of an airplane made from balloons, which they may or may not recognize, I have a black & white image of a plane. My menu sheet has 24 images with the option of asking for something not shown.

Advantage - I can make the plane any way I want, factoring in how much time/balloons I want to use. When you use a picture of a balloon, they will want it to look exactly like that and usually with the same colors.

Easy to do if you can use a photo-shop type program. Just google search the image you want, download it, reformat/size it and plug it into your menu. Add your contact info or other info you want. When I'm busking the menu sheet will say that donations are greatly appreciated.

I put in on a regular 8.5 x 11 sheet and slip it into a sheet protector. Hand it to the child to make a choice, who then hands it to the child behind them and so on.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Wes, Good idea. Some of you didn't bother to understand my question. I'm looking for artwork for a menu board. I don't care whether you use a menu board or not. That was not my question.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I thought TMyers had some balloon menu products, but this was all I could find on their website along those lines:

--> PROFESSIONAL PORTFOLIO FOR BALLOON A......e Kalver

Maybe someone who owns this book can comment on the artwork in it.

- Donald

P.S. Like someone suggested above, I'd be more inclined to use photos instead of drawings (artwork) on a menu board.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I can't believe that folks still use menu boards in this age of technology! If you feel a menu board is for you, load all your pics of your balloons on your iPad and have that out on display letting it scroll thru your work on a slideshow for people to see.

With that said...I wouldn't even do that!

My philosophy is "I know what you need more than you know what you want!" Kids can scream at me all day long telling me what they want! Guess what...I don't care! You'll get what you get and you don't throw a fit!

Seems harsh but the reality is, that if I let them choose, it's going to be a very boring day. The same few pieces over and over again. Not fun!

However...if "I" choose, then I can guarantee that everyone will get a unique piece of awesomeness and it will allow me to really showcase my talent...which is why I was booked to begin with.

I just did a 2 day gig out here at Reunion Tower in Dallas for their grand re-opening. Magic and Balloons at 500 feet! It was awesome! While doing balloons, the first few kids said "I want..." and I'd interrupt and say "no, no, no....you don't know what you want! I know what you need!" Then I'd dive right in...

Some would be like "no, I want to tell you what I want!" I'd say, "ok, what do you want?" They'd tell me. I would say "TRUST ME! You don't want that! You want what I'm making you.

I make it and their blown away.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Menu boards do have a place... and that place is busking. In that environment you want to be quick so scrolling through hundreds of iPad images is not ideal BUT, in my opinion, you don't want pictures on the board... you want what you make written on the board. The reason? Some (many) little kids don't read and so mum and dad have to come with them to read the board... and this is exactly what you want because little kids don't carry $5 bills in wallets, parents do.
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2013-10-07 00:47, Christopher Lyle wrote:
You'll get what you get and you don't throw a fit!

I love the rhyme.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On 2013-10-06 18:54, ldl1017 wrote:
Wes, Good idea. Some of you didn't bother to understand my question. I'm looking for artwork for a menu board. I don't care whether you use a menu board or not. That was not my question.

Ha! Woops I mis-read it or sumthin'. I'm hopin' it was due to "ice cold beer". Smile
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
I like thinking behind the "5er". Cash is King.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
TMyers is your best bet for menu boards.
Life of Magic!
ansu
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ansu
A quick digital signage menu board create online App named DSmenu.
http://www.dsmenu.com/
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Do a google search for balloon menu, you will most likely find one you like.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I have "normally" been against the Menu Board...I even said so earlier in this thread!

HOWEVER...

...I was booked for the entire Holiday Season (Nov. 16th thru Jan. 2nd) to be their balloon artist over the Holidays. It really took me several weeks to try and figure out HOW to play this venue. At any given time, there are 15,000+ people and I am the ONLY balloon artist. They have booked three balloon artists (including myself) but they don't want more than 1 of us at a time.

My line was holding at well over 3+ hours long to get a balloon. Finally, I had to deviate from my normal style and come up with 15 quick designs that I knew were awesome, matched my style, but I could crank out in less than a minute and a half each (or less) to handle this crowd.

I had a friend of mine draw me up a menu board. I have these printed up 8.5 x 11 and these are just passed thru the line thruout my shift. That way when people get up to me, they know what they want and just pick off my menu...

I must say, that after this experience, it has really made me re-think my stance on Line Work Efficiency. This is a Holiday themed menu, but you're welcome to use it for your events...

The cool thing is that since the images are "drawn", the audience doesn't really know exactly how they will turn out. This way, I'm able to keep it simple or if I have more time, I can add a little extra detail to each one. Smile

Now my line is around an hour to hour and 20 minute wait. Using this menu, cut my wait time down by more than 50%. I'm sold on this idea now (for line work only).
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 11:28, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I have "normally" been against the Menu Board...I even said so earlier in this thread!

Menu sheets/boards are a tool to use when the situation calls for it. Just like that one technique or design you almost never use, but you know how to use it when you need it.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Christopher that is awesome.

I'll have to keep that in back of my mind. Thanks!
Life of Magic!
Robynhood
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston, SC
166 Posts

Profile of Robynhood
I love giving kids options and don't see what's wrong with it. If I just starting making a balloon I would probably get a strange look and a "Aren't you going to ask what they want?," from the parent. To me asking a kid what kind of balloon they would like is not a big deal. I don't need to assume what they want when I can just ask, and 90% of the time I can make what they ask for. But I have a menu sheet of around 15 of my favorite things to give kids some options and give them an idea of the stuff I do. When I do line work I have a white board with a menu written on it because in line work there are only so many and certain things I do for the sake of time. Whatever you feel works for you.
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
I'm not a fan of menu boards, which I explained earlier. However, I think the one that Christopher showed is probably the best one I've seen. They look like balloons, but not exactly. Your friend id a great job drawing it. Thanks for sharing it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon artwork for a menu board (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL