The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Nightmare Alley on Turner Classic Movies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I've got the book, the book on CD, a bottle of bourbon, and a copy of the movie on DVD. For selfish reasons, I don't want "them" to ruin it by making a crappy version of the movie. Interesting to read everyone's opinions and speculations, but "they" should just leave it well enough alone. I'm perfectly content to keep things the way they are with this subject.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2013-10-21 21:27, mastermindreader wrote:
It wouldn't matter if the explanations were false or not. The public would have no way of knowing either way. The point is that they would likely conclude that those are the methods that mentalists use to deceive. In that sense, even a fake exposure is still exposure of sorts.

We don't need a remake for that to happen. Its happening all the time. I suppose a major film would reach even more people.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Nope. Nightmare Alley should stay right where it is: a hidden gem...a perfect private little thing.

Loved the book...like the movie a lot...learned oodles from the line "Every kid had a dog."

Nightmare Alley is one of those brilliant-smack-you-over-the-head-and-open-your-eyes stories. It should be required reading for performers, right alongside Corinda and Annemann. And, besides...Zeena's sort of hot.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
I like your enthusiasm Mike, but have a read of my lengthy contribution to the "What makes something mysterious?" thread to see why the false explanations system (in this context) would still be harmful by removing mystery.

I see your point and I agree now. It's too dangerous to show a film depicting false explanations if they're ever going to see a mentalist perform. In the moment of mystery the audience can't have an inkling how it's being done or even that it can be done. I had hoped for a way to let film-goers peek behind the curtain without jeopardizing mentalism.

This film is an affecting one. I just watched a video I posted online a year ago. Comparing it with one taken three weeks ago I now see less "Magic Mike" in my character and a bit more Stan Carlisle. It had always been improper to strip for my audiences, anyway. (In seriousness, "Magic Mike" was an obvious nickname old friends called me when I performed as a magician. It had nothing to do with the film of the same name. Still, it was always inappropriate for me to strip but audiences loved it. See an old thread called "Einstein in My Pocket" in Inner Thoughts for clarification.)
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I'd like to see a remake- one not limited by the Production Code, as the first one was. A made-for-cable (or Netflix) mini-series would be ideal. A program like HBO's "Carnivàle" showed how the gritty, sleazy carnival world can now be portrayed without any sugar coating or censorship constraints. This is the type of treatment "Nightmare Alley" deserves.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Nightmare Alley on Turner Classic Movies (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL