The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Congratulations to Corey Booker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Woland and I rarely (almost never, actually) agree on anything political, but on most other topics we agree more often than not.

He doesn't engage in personal attacks and has always been a complete gentleman. I count him as a friend.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Delighted to trade ideas, insights, and the occasional barb with you Gentlemen. I think we are all mellowing with age.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I'm mellowing with Captain Morgan.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Lovely. I therefore hope that the actual significance of the New Jersey election results won't upset you:

Quote:
Lonegan was given zero chance of winning this election, and he waged his campaign with virtually zero resources—and no TV commercials—compared to the eight-figure Booker financial juggernaut. Official Republican party committees in Washington, all rolling in money, spent not a dime. Even in terms of independent expenditures, Lonegan’s handful of outside backers were outspent more than 10 to 1.

Starting from as much as 35 points behind as recently as the aftermath of the August primary, Lonegan wound up losing by 10.3 percentage points, according to nearly complete returns. This was a margin of defeat little more than half of that suffered by Mitt Romney last year and the moderate Republican U. S. Senate nominee last year. As to Senate candidates in deep-blue New Jersey, his 44.3 percent tied for the best GOP percentage since the late Congressman Bob Franks came within 3 points of upsetting Jon Corzine back in 2000.

Booker's win was really not that "decisive" after all.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

10.3 percentage points is decisive in ANY election.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It decides the election. But when you outspend your opponent 10:1 - and your opponent does not even have TV ads - and end up winning by a margin half the size of the Dem margin the last time around, and when you have to immediately run for re-election in the general that is a month away - I think that the relative success of a conservative candidate who ran an openly conservative campaign in a deep-blue state - remember, he

Quote:
ran as a hardline libertarian, supporting the supposedly toxic GOP federal lockout (which was in full effect for the last 16 days of the campaign), attacking Social Security and Medicare as well as Obamacare, and even opposing the federal disaster aid meted out to New Jersey in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. On social issues, he opposed legalized abortion including in cases of rape and incest, and firmly backed traditional marriage (and even ridiculed the gay lifestyle) in a state supposedly pining for the immediate enactment of gay marriage.

-- then I think that Lonegan's results were quite impressive.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I think that Booker spent a lot more money than he had to. The results would have been the same if he hadn't spent a dime. And not to forget that Lonegan had the high-profile "support" of Sarah Palin.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Sarah Palin on your side in New Jersey is the kiss of death.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
@Al,
"Oh really now, says she?"
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Congratulations to Corey Booker (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL