The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ricky Jay poker challenge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
I remember watching a documentary about Ricky Jay where in one scene he has several people come in to a room one by one and he bets them that he will get a higher poker hand. I think they were allowed to cut and deal the cards. He won every round. Does anyone know the name of this routine, and a source for it?
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Here is the clip you are talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxVpRvlCfI

pretty obvious whats going on for those who play poker
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Quote:
On 2013-10-20 20:26, MuscleMagic wrote:
Here is the clip you are talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxVpRvlCfI ALSO try watching it with sound off, the movements are hilarious

pretty obvious whats going on for those who play poker
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
It's the 10 card poker deal. There are dozens of versions in print.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
And dozens more coming to print when Bob Farmer finishes his Bammo Ten Card Poker Deal Dossier...

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42636
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi ssibal,

Darwin Ortiz has an excellent version of the 10 card poker deal in his book Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table. It's named Mexican Poker, page 29.

All the best

Michael
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
A couple of excellent versions that jump to mind are Tony Binarelli's 'Cincinnati Poker Kid', as well as Ernest Earick's version in 'Unseen Forces' and Bruce Bernstein's (my current favorite) in his book 'Unreal'.
And, while it's not a Ten Card Poker Deal, do yourself a favor and check out Lennart Green's recycling poker stack on 'Masterfile'.
It's all in the reflexes.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I don't recall Rick Jay being quite this brash before his rôle in a James Bond movie.

"A lot of personality." Sheesh!
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
Thanks guys.
Ruairidh
View Profile
Regular user
London
200 Posts

Profile of Ruairidh
Derren Brown did a great version too.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I've been told (by many) that I started the 10-card poker deal craze when I published my version/handling back in 1967 in Deck-Sterity - re-written, updated, etc., in The Classic Collection, Vol. 1 (2005). You might also want to check out A Much Better Chance, originally in Personal Collection (2001) - also included in Special Effects (2011). Just for the record. Best - Harry L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Ricky Jay for real?

Ricky Jay roughs up some spectators

The act is named, "A Correctly Structured Drama". I'm sure he was there to demonstrate what he can do. I didn't like the character Ricky Jay played, but I do like him, and he's clearly a great actor.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
I have seen this also referred to as the Jonah card if this helps in your search.

Having said that, one has to ask oneself: What was Mr. Jay hoping to accomplish with this presentation? Is this entertaining in some way? Or, perhaps more appropriately, while it might be amusing and entertaining to the audience watching the video in a black-humor or gallows-humor sort of way (for example, I thought "Breaking Bad" was often hilarious), it is hard to imagine that the spectators in this performance found this entertaining.

I think of magic as being an entertainment art form; and before someone says, "Yes, and one of the goals of art is to provoke!" you have to put this in context of remembering that as magicians we are just above mimes and just below jugglers in the public's perceived hierarchy of entertainers. I believe Mr. Jay realizes this -- so, again, why do this?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 15:19, JoeHohman wrote:
I think of magic as being an entertainment art form; and before someone says, "Yes, and one of the goals of art is to provoke!" you have to put this in context of remembering that as magicians we are just above mimes and just below jugglers in the public's perceived hierarchy of entertainers. I believe Mr. Jay realizes this -- so, again, why do this?

He's not giving a magic performance.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"magicians we are just above mimes and just below jugglers in the public's perceived hierarchy of entertainers."

Perhaps that has something to do with slavishly following the imperative "to entertain."
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Yes, R.E., this is a performing art. As such, it requires an audience. The audience wants to be entertained. As the performing artist, then, you have an obligation to entertain them. That doesn't mean you have to pander, but you do have to entertain, whether that means make them laugh, make them think, or make them reflect on some greater truth.

I just believe it goes with the territory -- it is what we signed up for.
JustCraig
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of JustCraig
The full documentery that the above clip is from is here if anyone has not seen it - well worth a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWM4qQWwnu0
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ricky Jay poker challenge (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL