The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My interview on AHA is up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
From Businessweek today:

"In 2005 the website for the Medicare prescription drug benefit launched three weeks late—the Bush administration initially blamed the Jewish holiday Yom Kippur for the delay—and the early months of the benefit were pure chaos. In January 2006, 54 percent of Americans told Gallup the new law wasn’t working. In February 2006, then-House Majority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) called the rollout “horrendous” on Fox News Sunday. But the law survived. Today more than 90 percent of seniors approve of Medicare Part D, and Republicans regularly cite it as a model for future health-care reforms."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Certainly there will be some who will benefit from changes in any former or current healthcare program. Discussions about the malfunctioning website, which as we know will eventually get fixed, are pulling attention from the fact that this is a bad law that has already cost billions and will end up costing the taxpayers trillions. And, I'm still waiting to see how the deductibles are going to roll out for those who claim to be getting "lower" premiums.

I still think that the 15% uninsured, pre-existing conditions, children? staying on policies until 26, etc., could have been dealt with separately, without turning upside down the 85% who were satisfied.

But, the President's got a distribution of wealth agenda and he isn't budging. Wasn't it Cuba that did that, now everyone there is dirt poor?
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
And millions of people don't have the option at was promised to them - that they could keep their existing plan. Many of them are...well, less than happy about that.

Ah, been waiting for someone to bring this up. You know where the blame lies on that? The insurance companies.

Existing plans were set to be grandfathered in, even if they didn't meet ACA standards. It's also possible for insurance companies to make changes to existing plans to bring them up to standard, and adjust premiums accordingly. But what do they decide to do instead? Cancel old plans "because Obamacare!" and make their policyholders choose a new plan.

That said, the cancelled policies are mostly high deductable "junk insurance" that didn't cover a ton of things, which is why they had such low rates. (If you've got a $5000 deductable, they can afford only charging you $100 a month for the plan. Just don't get sick.)

Of course the other point is there were no pricing restrictions built into the ACA. The companies can freely charge more and the government subsidies will help cover the difference.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On 2013-10-31 11:12, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Quote:
And millions of people don't have the option at was promised to them - that they could keep their existing plan. Many of them are...well, less than happy about that.

That said, the cancelled policies are mostly high deductable "junk insurance" that didn't cover a ton of things, which is why they had such low rates. (If you've got a $5000 deductable, they can afford only charging you $100 a month for the plan. Just don't get sick.)

Of course the other point is there were no pricing restrictions built into the ACA. The companies can freely charge more and the government subsidies will help cover the difference.

What matters is that people were satisfied with their plans that got cancelled.

And those increasing government subsidies will be paid for by , guess who?, you!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

There is an implied limit on any price increase as "The Affordable Care Act requires health insurance issuers to submit data on the proportion of premium revenues spent on clinical services and quality improvement, also known as the Medical Loss Ratio (MLR). It also requires them to issue rebates to enrollees if this percentage does not meet minimum standards. MLR requires insurance companies to spend at least 80% or 85% of premium dollars on medical care, with the review provisions imposing tighter limits on health insurance rate increases." If the insurer charges too much in one year, you will get a rebate in the year following from the insurer. I think this will mean that most insurers will keep premium increases at a reasonable level.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:

Ah, been waiting for someone to bring this up. You know where the blame lies on that? The insurance companies.

Existing plans were set to be grandfathered in, even if they didn't meet ACA standards. It's also possible for insurance companies to make changes to existing plans to bring them up to standard, and adjust premiums accordingly. But what do they decide to do instead? Cancel old plans "because Obamacare!" and make their policyholders choose a new plan.

The lie ERRRRRRR promise was, if you like your old plan, you can keep it no matter what.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2013-10-31 11:19, NicholasD wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

What matters is that people were satisfied with their plans that got cancelled.

And those increasing government subsidies will be paid for by , guess who?, you!

Yes, it's annoying, it's not perfect, but if I have to pay a little more so some poor kids can get access to leukemia drugs, then it's worth it.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:

Let me guess. You're Jay Carney in disguise, right?
Let's look at these 1 at a time.

"Existing plans were set to be grandfathered in, even if they didn't meet ACA standards."

Yes, except that they then made the rules so restrictive that about 80% can no longer be grandfathered in. Obama knew this so his statement was a lie.

"It's also possible for insurance companies to make changes to existing plans to bring them up to standard, and adjust premiums accordingly."

Well, yes, of course. But then, it's not the same plan anymore with the same premium anymore is it? I don't recall Obama saying, "if you like your plan, they can change it to meet the new standards and raise the premium on you." So, another lie.

"But what do they decide to do instead? Cancel old plans "because Obamacare!" and make their policyholders choose a new plan."

It's the law, it's not a 'decision' that they are making. They HAVE to cancel the old plan because the promise of grandfathering it in was a lie.

But don't believe me. Here's one lib who's willing at least to be truthful about it on the HuffingtonPost.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-ostro......554.html

"The liberal spin on the ACA mess is astounding, and mirrors the typical partisan tactics of the GOP. Let's start with how Democrats are giving Obama an inexplicable total pass on the bold, unequivocal promises he's made repeatedly about ACA:

"If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period. If you like your health-care plan, you'll be able to keep your health-care plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what."

"And if you like your insurance plan, you will keep it. No one will be able to take that away from you. It hasn't happened yet. It won't happen in the future."

Pretty clear, right? "Period...period...no matter what." Yet the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office estimates that 10-million Americans will be forced into policy cancellations by their current providers (because their current coverage doesn't meet the new ACA standards) and have to buy new, possibly more expensive policies from these same insurers or from the ACA exchanges. So are liberals--who'd typically be outraged by this kind of blatant lie, misrepresentation or incompetence from a Republican--demonstrating outrage and demanding accountability? No. Instead, they're spinning like mad. Like Republicans. They claim that the new insurance will be better. Maybe so. But that still doesn't mitigate or excuse "Period...period...no matter what."

Then there's the condescending spin that these existing policies are nothing more than "substandard, worthless plans." Again, maybe so. But Obama never said "If you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan -- if we deem it to be adequate."

Perhaps the most egregious spin of all is this one: "Obama said if you like the plan you have you can keep it. He did not say if you like the plan you have they will keep you!" Really? This is the most fascinating parsing of words since the Bill Clinton days of "depends on what the definition of "is" is."

Self-righteous liberals now find themselves condescendingly lecturing people that they're too stupid to know that their current policies are dreadful and worthy of termination, and that they should in effect be thankful that these smarter liberals are forcing new, more expensive policies on them. To see liberals stoop to the same shameful, disingenuous spin levels of Republicans is quite disheartening."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:

That's the 'spin' we're getting anyway.

However, here's what another HuffingtonPost blogger has to say about his own policy that will get cancelled.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/art-levine......bamacare

"o matter how it's explained away or packaged, the prospect of dropped coverage impacting possibly millions of people simply doesn't square with repeated assurances from Obama and his allies that, essentially, no one would lose their current coverage. Most of the people offering reassurances that finding new plans on the exchanges isn't such a big deal are salaried employees of organizations, news outlets and companies that pay for their insurance; they might feel otherwise if they had to search for comparable plans that provide coverage for themselves and their families as the January 1 deadline approaches."

"My perfectly decent -- if over-priced -- plan I'm currently on has far more generous benefits than I can get for a comparable price on the exchange with my current company, Blue Cross. My current plan's relatively high cost of about $530 a month in premiums, I was surprised to learn, well more than doubles on the exchange for a Care First plan with comparable benefits"

Of course, if the HuffingtonPost isn't far enough left for you, how about this wonderful piece from the DailyKos.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/09/30......premium#

"My wife and I just got our updates from Kaiser telling us what our 2014 rates will be. Her monthly has been $168 this year, mine $150. We have a high deductible. We are generally healthy people who don't go to the doctor often. I barely ever go. The insurance is in case of a major catastrophe.

Well, now, because of Obamacare, my wife's rate is gong to $302 per month and mine is jumping to $284.

I am canceling insurance for us and I am not paying any ****ing penalty. What the hell kind of reform is this?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My interview on AHA is up (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL