The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » $65 this year. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
It's a beauty (Douglas Fir), but it's $20 more than last year!

I've had a self imposed rule "No more than $45 for a Christmas tree". I broke it this year, because I have another rule "We will have a Real Christmas tree.".

Sure, there were the 'Charlie Brown' trees (I even know some friends who search them out), but they were even $45, this year! These are cut trees, by the way, not live balled roots.

I live where Washington crossed the Delaware, in Pennsylvania. What do trees go for where you live? What are your 'rules'?
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I always get the soft bristled and refuse to pay more than $40. This year's tree was $35.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
Rob ,I can remember when a Christmas tree was only $3 dollars,and my parents complaing the price was much to high.Yes the price has been rising ever since,but I refuse to buy a fake tree. Christmas season comes once a year, and this time of the year brings back wonderful memories.
There will never be anything but a REAL TREE IN MY HOME NO MATTER WHAT THE PRICE.
and I will never use plastic ornements but that's me.
LO-Key
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Fake trees all the way for me. I mean, where are you going to find a real tree with color changing fiber optics installed in it?

Smile <---- Fake! Oh yeah!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
In the Black Magic Forrest Firedice, The Black Magic Forest. Smile
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Being the "Slacker" that I am..
The tree goes up a day before Christmas
And
Stays up until Spring

Well ..a bit of an exaggeration. I'm with Firedice on FiberOptic, It must be the showbiz part of us :
Rider goes like this:
*Client to provide a space of (at least) 3X3 foot
*Surround viewing is acceptable for this venue
*We may require assistance of occupants in set-up and take-down
*One 120V 15amp electrical service outlet in immediate proximity needed
*We require a set up time of approx. 10 minutes prior to showing
*Our tree is fire marshall approved
*Spectators may not handle items under this until the event day
*Music may or may not be provided at the discretion of the organizer
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
If you want to save a bit of money, you can always make a tree last 2 years instead of one!
I had a cut tree 4 years ago that I kept through the year, then spray-painted green for christmas the next year.
If I was to do that again I would probably spray it with a pine scented air freshner too!

Be careful what sort of lights you put on a tree like this, as it gets very dry. We put it on a bonfire after the second christmas and it really set alight well!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Paid only $50 this year for our noble fir Christmas tree. Every year we cut our own tree at a tree farm here in the beautiful state of Washington. We always pay at least $70.00 for our tree but this year they were discounted down. We always get a tree that is at least 10 foot then we cut the base down to size.
Merry Christmas Everyone Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
No Christmas tree here. We have decorated with Christmas themed stuff and the thought of not spending money on a tree and having to dispose of it is nice.
The last tree we purchased was $175.00 - to this day I have no idea what possessed me to go along with it. Well maybe the Jack Daniels helped a little. This year we save the money and don't have to haul the thing out after Christmas. Smile
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
My family has had a fake tree forever. Live trees are just too expensive and they don't last a week here in the desert. Lack of humidity sucks the moisture out of them in about 48 hours and the needles just fall off.
Coram Deo
josie67
View Profile
Regular user
Syracuse, NY
118 Posts

Profile of josie67
I gave up this year and got a fake tree. We were always a real tree family but this year there was alot going on and I had no time to go get one because I spend too much time yapping with you jabronskis here at the Café! It turns out that our fake tree looks more like a real tree than some of our real trees have. My rule on price was always haggle with the guy until he practically gives you the tree so you leave the tree lot. My wife is always mortified, but I never pay more than 30 bucks for one. Mortifying my wife was a holiday tradition I will miss, but trying to get an 8 foot tree home in my Sentra is something I will be able to live without. Not to mention the needle rash and the pine tar all over everything.
fa la la la la...la la lala
:xmastree: this one looks good Smile no maybe this one Smile what about this one Smile to tall Smile too bare Smile to green (wife actually said that once - how can a tree be too green, I still don't understand that one, never will)
:xmastree: to fat (no wait, that's me!)
:xmastree: this one sort of smells funny. I wanna go home.
Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into the ditch?
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2003-12-21 13:53, Firedice27 wrote:
Fake trees all the way for me. I mean, where are you going to find a real tree with color changing fiber optics installed in it?

Smile <---- Fake! Oh yeah!

Ditto, I have a fake tree from the 60's when I was a kid, well still am.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
I took my son to choose a tree, he picked a beautiful six footer and we paid £12 for it. A lot of farms near here grow them to supplement the measly money they make from cows and sheep.

I have my own tree though, it's ten inches and it's fibre optic. Nice. Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings & Salutations, & Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Fake!?! I have an illusion of a live tree! LOL!

Artificial all the way. How else do you keep a tree on display for three years -- it's always Christmas at Joe's house.

of course that comes to a screeching, grinding halt after this year. I'm moving in with my significant other by year's end, and it's been a struggle just to keep my amassed collection of really neat stuff, magical and otherwise. Women have absolutely no respect for collections of Playboys, plastic cups, and the assorted accoutrements of bachelor living!

I have, however, found a three-foot artificial tree which she has graciously allowed to keep up in our magic room-office-library-sewing room.

Yeah, she's a keeper ... the signicant other ain't bad either!

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, make magic happen!
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Good luck in your chosen adventure!
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Got a bargain this year and only paid 60.00 for the tree. In the past I have paid up to 85.00 for one. We usually always go Nobel Fir and those tend to be on the pricey side.
Every Year we choose a theme for the tree. This year is 18th Century and the tree is trimmed with homemade wax and paper ornaments.
In the past we have done Celestials, Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland, Fools and Jesters and Playing Cards to name just a few. Consequently we have enough decorations to trim at least a dozen trees simultaneously. It usually takes a day and a half to three days to get the tree completely decorated, three to six hours for the lights alone.
I used to hate decorating trees as I was a Visual Merchandiser and would routinely have to decorate sixty to seventy trees a year at Christmas time for work so the last thing you would wanted to do was to come home and decorate another one.
However now that I'm out of retail I actually look forward to planning and building the decorations each year for our tree.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
Tree???? why?...
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I kind of miss the '70's. With the tink tink tinkle of Aluminum! Nothing quite says Christmas like a silver tree with a three way color spotlight!
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » $65 this year. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL