The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Knockout Game (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Besides, there are already laws on the books. Why in one fatal case, the participants got a whole year and a half! http://www.myfoxny.com/story/23359158/ny......ath-case
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Wasn't that a family court case in which the defendant was 13 years old?

We both could probably cite hundreds of cases involving all sorts of crimes in which a defendant got off with far less than most would perceive as just. Just as we could list a similar number of cases in which a defendant received over twenty years for a relatively minor offense. Those doesn't really go to the issue we're discussing here, however.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-19 17:10, mastermindreader wrote:
Wasn't that a family court case in which the defendant was 13 years old?

We both could probably cite hundreds of cases involving all sorts of crimes in which a defendant got off with far less than most would perceive as just. Just as we could list a similar number of cases in which a defendant received over twenty years for a relatively minor offense. Those doesn't really go to the issue we're discussing here, however.

One defendant was 13 years old; the other was 16.

As for the article you pasted, I'd say that it doesn't really go into the issue we're discussing here, either. To be more specific, the claim that the knockout game is less common than people think doesn't address the question of how it should be handled when it does happen. We do know that it happens, we do know that it's happened in a number of cities across the country, and we do know that it's potentially fatal. Granted, some assaults are already considered felonies in Washington, but others are considered misdemeanors.

So the question is, if you randomly assault an unsuspecting person and it doesn't cause "bodily harm accompanied by substantial pain that extends for a period sufficient to cause considerable suffering," should that be a felony or a misdemeanor? I'm in agreement with those legislators who think that the current legal framework, which classifies such an assault as a misdemeanor, is inadequate.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
+1
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I disagree, Lobo. We are, again, talking about a law which purportedly is designed to combat the so-called "knock-out game." Since, by definition, the knock-out game involves more than one perpetrator (the one doing the striking and those with whom he's playing the game), it ALREADY IS a felony conspiracy under the laws of this state and most others, regardless of whether any injury at all actually takes place.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The question is whether the ASSAULT itself, which is a separate crime, should be a misdemeanor or a felony. The fact that participants alao engage in conspiracy, which is a felony, is irrelevant.

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
What about the lone assailant who chooses to play the game by himself? Think of solitaire. No one challenged him, but he wants to get into the "game."
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I thought about that, Bob, but it seems that it would defeat the whole motivation for the game in the first place- to show your friends what a tough guy you are. A lone assailant, acting randomly and without provocation would most likely be a nut job (to use the technical term).

And I disagree, Lobo. The fact that it is a group activity automatically makes it a felony- so it is highly relevant as far as sentencing goes.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-19 20:46, mastermindreader wrote:
And I disagree, Lobo. The fact that it is a group activity automatically makes it a felony- so it is highly relevant as far as sentencing goes.

I'm not sure how you're disagreeing here. If they're guilty of conspiracy, they're also (and separately) guilty of the assault. Nobody is disputing that the conspiracy is a felony. The question is whether the assault itself is a felony or a misdemeanor. The proposed law would make it a felony. That's the change under debate, not the conspiracy. They've committed two crimes - conspiracy and assault. The question is whether that's two separate felonies, or one felony and a misdemeanor. The fact that the conspiracy is a felony has no bearing on whether the assault is (or should be) a felony.

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It does have bearing on the matter because the purpose of the new statute is supposedly to enhance the penalty by making what was previously a misdemeanor a felony. But, since the conspiracy is there, a defendant would already by subject to felony sentencing, which would normally be concurrent with the assault sentence anyway. In other words, the defendants would face the same total sentence under the new law as they do under the present one.

So I'm just being pragmatic.

Further- with the conspiracy it isn't necessary to show that the victim sustained any injury at all. The battery needn't even be completed.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Ok, I understand. But conspiracy has its own problems with respected to proof, i.e., "I knew he was going to do it, but I didn't conspire with him to do it.". I suspect of the convicted defendants participating in the knockout game, relatively few if any have been convicted of conspiracy.

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Just shows how unimaginative some prosecutors are. Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Where can I find this official "Knock-Out Game" rule book that Bob seem to be referring to? What's it called when someone just decides to randomly belt someone in the face and see if they can knock them out, all on their own, Just for fun? Or does that never happen?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Reread my posts and maybe you'll understand what I'm talking about. And look at the many news reports that came out late last year when the media started hyping a crime that many police remain skeptical of. The alleged "game" in every instance has involved groups of youths. Just like the "wilding" incidents from decades ago. Are you aware of any incidents in which a lone individual confessed to playing "solitaire knockout?"
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Of course there is an elephant in the room here that, so far, no one has mentioned. And that's the racial and political undertones to the knock-out game reporting. I don't care to get into that argument, but it is pretty well summarized (and in a balanced fashion) here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockout_game
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Knockout Game (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL