The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Selfie" named word of the year (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Funny how so many of the old men here are complaining about selfies. Smile

Here's a view of selfies, from a different perspective:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/d......ide.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Not even going there. You will be an old man some day. If you're lucky. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-11-21 01:49, balducci wrote:
Funny how so many of the old men here are complaining about selfies. Smile

Here's a view of selfies, from a different perspective:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/d......ide.html

For the record, I am not complaining about or criticizing selfies. It's narcissism that concerns me, whippersnapper.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2013-11-20 10:40, LobowolfXXX wrote:
So many people have been made superstars for being annoying self-absorbed narcissists that there's a line of people perpetually auditioning.

Oh, that's a beautifully written line!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 15:09, mastermindreader wrote:
The Oxford dictionary has selected "selfie" as the word of the year for 2013

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-photos-selfie-d......479.html

I'm not sure what my response should be. What's yours?

That there are people who still do not know what a selfie is, let alone have the ability to take one?

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/05/too_poor_for_pop_culture/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'll admit when this thread started I didn'tknow what a selfie was. Call me out of touch. Why would I know about it? I'm retired, involved in my own things, have a flip phone, though it has a camera, I never use it. Again, why would I? I have a great digital camera with auxiliary lenses. I can't imagine taking self-serving pics of myself and floating them. Yikes. Then Mr. President, Barack Obama, does it at Mandella's memorial service. Yikes again. I'd rather not be a part of this thing called selfies. Echoing Ira Levin's "All of them, witches," all of them, narcissists. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 21:09, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 15:18, arthur stead wrote:
Maybe they picked it because it represents how self-centered people are nowadays?

Actually, they picked it because it was the most used new word on the Internet in 2013.

Odd how different phrases affect people differently. I am wary of the ability of anyone to track every word on the internet and come up with an answer. Makes me nervous. Nobody else seems to care.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 18:02, Slide wrote:
"You say yes and begin to show them your pictures of eating at McDonalds both inside and in the car with your friends and two pictures of eating take out Chinese in your motel room with friends. "

Yes. The photos that mean something to me are those of my kids, my loved ones, my friends. You can't recreate the grand cannon from the lousy pictures you take. Ansel Adams has done much better. I'd rather have the memories of my loved ones. I don't eat at McDonalds so more likely it will be my friends and family eating a a colorful pub or local establishment. I don't know about you, but for me, people are much more fun and interesting to remember than some rock formation.

I agree with Slide on this. We've been to Walt Disney World several times. Each time, we've taken pictures of the characters and of the parades and the sights within the parks. But last year I suggested that we get pictures of OURSELVES relating to these things. It would make them so much more personal.

My kid took a selfie of himself at WDW. Not sure if it counts because he added a character...

http://dragonrider1227.deviantart.com/ar......79229671
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Selfie" named word of the year (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL