The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Wayne Fox Holdout (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
This is far too obvious....
One to avoid for me
deanbarlow
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of deanbarlow
Yes it was interesting on WPR that Craig and Dave didn't even give it a score out 100.........
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
We might be looking at this with "magician eyes". This type of ditch is not new. However, with the right presentation it could fly right by laymen. Audience management is key. Knowing how to use an "off-beat" is also crucial.

I do not believe this is good for beginners. One must learn "direction" and "misdirection" of attention to utilize the properties of this. I have something similar I'm going to try out. It's just an elastic arm band, but I can put it just beyond my rolled up sleeve.

Watching the demo video will show you the basic "moves". Being able to ditch and load on an off-beat moment is something you do not learn overnight. Plus there are places you DO NOT use this. Times when you cannot control people's attention, and you are "hot". Do you know what I mean by "hot"? People are "burning" you. Watching every move (like us watching the demo).

This might be good. Just an alternative to the classic HoldOut, which I have used extensively.

Doug
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I don't know how misdirection would play into this gimmick. The spectator's are obviously going to be watching your hands. It's were everything is happening. It's where you want your spectator's eyes to be or they will miss the magic. You are using both hands so how would you miss direct them? "Hey, look behind you, is that a juggling clown?" then do the dirty work? If you have to misdirect them to look else where other than where the magic is happening why even need the hold out them?

No, I am afraid to say that this is way to obvious even for layperson's. Laypeople are not dumb. If they see you fiddling with your rolled up sleeve they are going to suspect something is going on. Even if they don't know exactly what type of hold out you are using, they will believe you just used your rolled up sleeve.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
2012multimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of 2012multimagic
Totally agree with the majority of you guys... Craig & Dave would of slated this if Wayne was absent and they didn’t have so many to sell on ...

typical WMS .. meh
hey guys !!!... looking forward to joining this community.. some WILL hate me.. some MAY love me ... enjoy !!!...

www.youtube.com/2012multimagic
www.twitter.com/2014multumagic
www.instagram.com/illusions2015
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I think the problem is with placing the back of the fingers against the arm and into the sleeve. This is a tell that something is being put into the sleeve.

If you could use the holdout with the palm against the arm , that would look like the hand pushing up the sleeve gesture. You might try working out of thumb palm.

John Scarne did a mystifying production of a stack of bills that he had secreted from the elbow in a pulling up the sleeves gesture. Bill Bixby did this on "The Magician," and it was a stunner.

I think the principle is valid, but like the TT or the topit, some guys' body language is so obvious that it gives the game away.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 11:12, Dougini wrote:
I have something similar I'm going to try out. It's just an elastic arm band, but I can put it just beyond my rolled up sleeve.

Ha! It WORKED! Flew right by 'em. You only wanna do this once. Or switch it up a bit by using other methods in addition to this. They didn't have a CLUE! The looks on their faces told me what I needed to know! I just had to try this.

So, I really feel this fills a need here. This WILL work for some. Again, ya gotta be able to control their attention! Use an off-beat. Timing. Definitely not for beginners!

Doug
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Great points Darrin and Doug!

Wayne's routine on the WPR looked great to me. I watched it a few times including some times with layman's eye. Wayne is obviously quite experienced with it's use and he has the motions and timing down nicely.

YMMV (Your mileage may vary) But I'll bet mileage will dramatically increase with practice. It just might. Really, it will. Trust me.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Slartibartfaust
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfaust
I mean zero disrespect to Mr. Fox
but holy carp
that seems so bloody obvious to me
not a hope in hell it would fool anyone laymen or not

just my opinion
There is much wonder in the Great White North
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
Even someone point out where to look from review video I still can not find how it is done.

But to be honest from the begining I saw the demo video I never liked it. The move of pointing sleeve just looks not natural to me even I do not now the secret behind it. So annoyed by the several moves.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Since Wayne has been using this as a part of his performances he must be taking advantage of some kind of "hope in hell" because it's been working for him.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-12-26 00:57, Slartibartfaust wrote:
...that seems so bloody obvious to me
not a hope in hell it would fool anyone laymen or not

Did you read my post above?

Doug
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
What did you perform, if you don't mind me asking.

Quote:
On 2013-12-25 12:11, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 11:12, Dougini wrote:
I have something similar I'm going to try out. It's just an elastic arm band, but I can put it just beyond my rolled up sleeve.

Ha! It WORKED! Flew right by 'em. You only wanna do this once. Or switch it up a bit by using other methods in addition to this. They didn't have a CLUE! The looks on their faces told me what I needed to know! I just had to try this.

So, I really feel this fills a need here. This WILL work for some. Again, ya gotta be able to control their attention! Use an off-beat. Timing. Definitely not for beginners!

Doug
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Lol. Smile

Quote:
On 2013-12-26 01:29, EZrhythm wrote:
Since Wayne has been using this as a part of his performances he must be taking advantage of some kind of "hope in hell" because it's been working for him.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I did a coin switch. I used my Ike Dollar to Sudbury Penny. This is a really unique idea. I had never thought of it...

Doug
LFoxx
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of LFoxx
I think the Fox Holdout is something that's hard to video since it's a move that would basically happen during a moment of misdirection.

I had a need in my stage show for a way to steal a coin, then about 2 mins later ditch it. I wasn't happy with how I was doing it, but it worked. When I saw the demo for this while I could clearly see what he was doing and how it worked, but I never thought to do it that way in my show. So I ordered a Fox Holdout and have had it for about a week. It's got a bit more "engineering" than I imagined it would based on the video. For my basic use I don't need the extras, but it's nice that they are there if I need them for something in the future.

Now the unexpected bonus for me is that it made me start doing a trick that I used to do, but never had a good way to clean up at the end so eventually phased out of the show. That trick is Guy Hollingworth's The Reformation. I do this in a platform setting for a smaller group. If you have the person who signed the card in front of you and to the right a bit once you do the final restoration you hand the card with your left hand to the person who signed it and you right hand ditches into the hold out, it's covered, motivated and lets me end clean!

For me this solved a problem for my show and got me to put a cool trick back into it, so I like it.

Louie
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Wasn't so obvious to your spectators was it? Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
What I made was from an ace bandage. Stupid simple. This works. I tried it again on my neighbors across the street. Four people. NONE of them had a clue! I'm really beginning to like this idea! It's different. This IS something you don't repeat, though. I wear a long sleeve, flannel shirt.

Don't let the demo put you off on this. It flys right by 'em! Lousy for video or TV though. And really, if you have no experience with a hold out, there may be a learning curve. Direction of attention and timing are KEY.

Doug
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
This holdout is very well made. It has three pockets of various sizes. The band is completely adjustable, and everything is hand stitched. It's a great way to grab a TT as you're rolling up your sleeves, or to produce a jumbo during a moment of misdirection. Not sure I'd use it for vanishes - the TKO 2.0 and Workeroo/Silent Butler type of topits are probably better suited for the purpose. But for producing something with a little time misdirection, this definitely has its place. Considering the work that must have gone into making it, it certainly doesn't seem overpriced.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Wayne Fox Holdout (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL