The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Mentalism theory? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
Hey guys,

Do you have any suggestions on making mentalism look more real to an audience? Any tips on performance and presentation? Thanks.

From,
Cornelius. Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Don't be 100% accurate. There is some sort of crazy notion in people's minds that if you're a psychic it's okay to fail because if it were a trick it would always work. Be a little off... on the effect, I mean. For instance, someone is thinking of a famous landmark and you draw the Eiffel tower and write it on the bottom, but they call out the Washington monument. Within seconds most people will see that you got the right image, but called it the wrong thing. It's a miss that plays like a bigger hit. I do this all the time with NW stuff. I use what I call the Six-degrees-of-separation theory. I try to give a prediction that I play off as incorrect, but that someone in the crowd will eventually see the connection. I did this once a long time ago by accident and saw the intense reaction I got. I wrote Fry and they called out France. I started whincing about the mistake and apologizing when someone started to shout, "No, it's French Fry! don't you get it. French Fry." I know it sounds strange, but when the spectator supplies the connection it becomes a much stronger effect. I don't recommend that all your effects end wrong, but throw in one or two that are slightly off and you are suddenly the real thing in their eyes.
Just my opinion.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Cornelius,
Write to me at paul@mindguy.com and I will send you some material to help you in your quest.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Mentalism theory? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL