The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Half dollars aren't comon anymore, so why use them? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Truth or Dare---I beg to differ. I use the coins that I use for the reasons stated above, which are not meaningless. It goes without saying that the skill and routines are already there, as people here who know me already know.

Mercutio01---None of the banks around here have silver dollars, and I lost all of those I used to have (I fall down a lot), so that's why I turned to Midwest Magic. I'd love to have a deal like you got.
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Quote:
On 2013-11-29 10:39, metaljohn wrote:
So I finally started learning coin magic after a few years of always avoiding it. I'm a fan of using everyday objects. Even when I do cards, I usually use someone's deck. I just think it's better that way. However, coin magic uses half dollars which aren't very comon anymore. I'd rather use quarters since that's what people carry on them, but those aren't as big and harder to manipulate. Should I just continue practicing with half dollars or switch to quaters? What are your thoughts on the matter?

The answers to your questions depend on what your goals are. It seems you mainly perform for friends, family, and small groups. It's not often a spectator has their own cards unless in this situation. Half dollars, for that matter Eisenhower/Morgan dollars as well, are used b/c of their size and visibility. It's that simple. They are real coins minted by the US Mint. It's that or use quarters which are too small to be seen in many situations. At the point your spectators can't see them well you have to switch to larger coins. These are your only options.

I understand why you are asking this question as I've asked it before myself long long ago. Now, I only use quarters for certain effects where it's size is an advantage or give them the coin to keep for some reason.

Just start performing with halves and you'll know it doesn't matter when their jaws hit the ground.

Best
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
An item note brought up so far is the intrinsic "magic" value of coins over other small objects available to the performer. The entire concept of money is based on trust, hope and imagination - something not true of nuts, candy and stones. A magic effect with ANY coin will have a potential of interest and magic appreciation beyond that of other small objects. So, the arguments over "which size and type" are secondary to the decision to use coins or not. As magicians we know that there are many sleights possible with coins not applicable to other objects. On the flip side a spectator is familiar with coins as to weight and ease of use. EAch spectator will have a memory of coins strangely vanishing on their own, and often multiplying in strange places -- all on their own.

All this means is that the story told can be as important as the coins themselves, and to just "do a coin trick" may give dis-service to the magic potential of coins. I personally believe that any magician should be able to readily perform numerous effects with whatever small objects are available (found) in a close-up setting. Coins might be used if offered or the only items available -- but to do magic only with coins when other objects are available creates suspicion of the worst kind.

Try this ...

have a basket of small objects available to pass out to the audience. Buttons, stones, nuts, candy mints, etc. -- and some coins of different varieties - even poker chips. Allow a spectator to select an object and perform with it! If it is a special coin then there is a story available as to its origin and why the spectator chose it. If they chose a copper one you can also ask for a "Silver one of about the same size" (and maybe a Chinese one too). Regardless, the "magic" comes from the spectator and the engagement. You might even be surprised to discover how often other objects are chosen instead of coins.

that being said, there is nothing wrong with borrowing a couple of quarters, performing an effect and then saying, "it seems thos ein the b ack have trouble seeing these small coins," and changing them into larger ones, "you all will recognize."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ottphd
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of ottphd
Fonda
Most coin shops will sell you Eisenhower's if your bank does not have them. I have a good buying relationship with my local coin shop and I get them for face value.
Good Luck
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Ottphd---Thanks, good to know. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Half dollars aren't comon anymore, so why use them? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL