The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » "A Book at Midnight" Edgar Allan Poe Edition (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I gave an enthusiastic recommendation to the HP Lovecraft version. You can read my review here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=7944935

This new edition deserves just as much praise. The artwork is just as stunning. Considering the work that is put in to producing these bookmarks, the price (£30) is quite reasonable.

And to think this version almost never came to be! Despite the quality, despite the universal acclaim, the Lovecraft set did not sell as well as creator Dan Baines had hoped and he began to have second thoughts on producing a sequel. Those of us who realized what a winning effect this is reacted in horror at the news! Thanks to Kickstarter, though, not only did the Poe bookmarks see the light of day but so did another set, "A Comic Book at Midnight," which pays homage to horror comics from the 1950s.

The Book at Midnight effect, in a nutshell: After setting the proper mood, the performer asks two spectators to each merely think of any hour on the clock. A set of bookmarks are mixed and each bookmark assigned an hour. Each spec is instructed to silently note the title of story that corresponds to the hour they hold only in their head. When all is said and done, the specs are asked to announce "their" story. The two stories match- to the delight of all involved. The effect requires no reset and can be immediately repeated, resulting in a completely different title being named in the climax.

Performers now have the opportunity to mix Poe and Lovecraft bookmarks. This can result in a double climax as the spectators discover not only are they thinking of the same author, but of the exact same title as well. The more sets/authors used, the more impressive this is, so let's hope Dan will start work on an Arthur Conan Doyle set. Smile

It should also be noted that the Poe bookmarks have been designed to work in conjunction with Prof BC's upcoming Doppelgänger effect.

"A Book at Midnight" is virtually self-working and is a lot of fun, not only for the spectators but for the performer as well (because even he doesn't know the outcome until it happens!). Available from Lebanon Circle Magic:
http://lebanoncircle.co.uk/ABaM.html

Enthusiastically Recommended
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I should also say that each set consists of 24 bookmarks (all different) plus an additional "key of knowledge" bookmark that provides online access to the author's written work and biography.
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
517 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
I must concur with MG, A Book at Midnight is a fantastic effect that gets strong reactions from the specs. I've performed it a dozen or so times in parlor settings, and without fail (there was one glitch), the reactions were strong. I highly recomend it too.

Regarding the one glitch: (Okay, there were several, but after working out my patter...) there was only one glitch. The spec forgot the title he was suppose to remember. Thanks to the instant reset with this effect, I simply did it over again. He gave his reason for forgetting was, "I was enjoying looking at the artwork so much, I just forgot". A nice complement for Dan Baines.
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
CL
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
75 Posts

Profile of CL
I also concur with MG. The effect is easy to do and gets very strong reactions. Yitzhak is also correct in that the spec management is key on this so that they remember their title.
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
261 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
I recently had a chance to perform Comic Book at Midnight after dinner for a best friend/couple with fantastic reacyion. Both being "lay" persons, but he having some past occasional guest visits to my local magic club a few years ago, so he considers himself a little wise about inside magic "stuff". He is also a retired engineer type, former phone man, etc, so always quite analytical. Since I am saving Poe for another expanded Poe piece and Lovecraft was a little too dark for this post holiday dinner occasion, I used the Comic bookmarks.
Here's what "floored" my guy friend. After he had chosen an imagined "clock number" and dealt off his bookmarks under the table, he asked, "Wait a minute, can I change my mind about the number?" Of course, I allowed that and had him shuffle the bookmarks again, imagine a different number and deal them off. Then carried forth and completed the routine with their awesome amazed response when they both called out, "Amazing Ghost Stories".
After, my friend skeptic shared that he had at first thought of the number 3, but then thought that that number was a psychological force that most people would pick, so he had asked to change his number.
The ironic thing is that he went babbling on about how totally puzzling the effect was because he could not get over that he was allowed to change his mind about the "clock" number...!! And he was fixated on that!
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
I got the effect tonight, I watched the video and could not figure out how this could work, even after watching the explanation! I performed it for myself twice, and still could not understand how my 2 imaginary spectators got the same book every time! Smile I am DYING to try it on someone else. I already love it!
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Mind Guerrilla,

Thank you for the heads up on this. I just ordered both items.
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
I had an unexpected surprise this afternoon. My wife of all people just ordered A Comic Book at Midnight for me after I showed her the performance video on youtube. Cannot wait.
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
I received these in the past few days - the Lovecraft, Poe and Comic editions. I am a huge lover of Lovecraft and Poe (since my teens) so it's a delight to be able to perform little mysteries like this with these writers front and centre thematically.
The effect is powerful and can be quite meaningful to those involved if performed in the right way. It is also simple to perform, mechanics-wise, but can be greatly enhanced, like every performance, with good narration, framing and pace.
The art is wonderful too. A real little gem. Highly recommended to those who like literary-themed wonders (and specifically of the Gothic/horror/fantastical flavour).

Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » "A Book at Midnight" Edgar Allan Poe Edition (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL