The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids shows for 11-13 age group (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I am sharing this because I have seen people comment that they refuse birthday party shows for this age group. I want to share some insight.

So yesterday I did a birthday party show for a girl turning 12. Her friends were 11-14. The show went GREAT! I did NOT do my normal birthday party show.

The only difference between performing for this age group and adults should very possibly be language. You don't want use inappropriate jokes or language. Otherwise this show was the same show I perform for adults.

I opened with Bill Abbott's 5 card opener. I performed my Sponge ball routine, Invisible deck routine, Ambitious Card, Extreme Burn, Fiber Optics, Cups and Balls, Bill in Lemon. The birthday child was still the star of the show but I treated her like an adult and she and her friends appreciated it.

I also got 3 more bookings from the show, 2 other birthday parties and one business party.

I can't imagine turning down a show because you think kids are the wrong age for "Live entertainment" at their party.

Why do some of you turn down shows for this age group
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
How long was your show?
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

The magic was an hour. After the show I did balloons. It was a total of 2 hours. 1 hour of magic, followed by a break for food and balloons.

The effects were not in the order that I posted them, those were just what I performed.

Why do you ask Mike?
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
I have a hard time picturing Ambitious Card working well in a parlour situation. I'm also somewhat surprised to hear that balloons would have gone over well with that age group. I'd love to hear you expound more on these, Shaun.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-12-08 23:44, Magician Shaun wrote:

Why do you ask Mike?

Just curious.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Balloons can go over great with that age group. Sometimes really good balloon guys are hired for high school grad parties and very swanky adult events. At a kids party teens and tweens often want balloons, but sometimes they don't because it's seems too kiddy-ish when most people are younger. But, if most of them are the same age and 1 or 2 of them want one, then it's cool, and they all want one.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I second the opinion that balloons are a big hit with that age group, particularly with girls. Sounds like a good program Shaun.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

I also have found that most kids want balloons. Sometimes when doing the occasional restaurant gig (A Chilis has me come in for Father Daughter, Mother Son Date nights) I will even get 15 year olds that want balloons.

I have performed for this age group many times busking and they respond well to the same material that adults like. You don't want to be too kiddy, no coloring book or any other "little kid" stuff. They are growing up and want to be treated as such. I think with the right attitude, this age group is easy to perform for and it's fun. I mean how often do you get to do Bill In Lemon at a kids birthday part? I was sure to talk to the mother prior to the show and make sure the birthday girl had a bill I could borrow for the trick. It's funny, everyone wanted to see if the bill was wet and smell it...I think that trick was solely responsible for the 3 parents trying to book me for their upcoming events. But honestly it just wouldn't work too well for kids age 5-6, you know.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
I agree about balloons and as I have writen in the past . I enjoy performing for older children and young adults too . In fact I do quite a few 18th parties phil
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have a friend who is mainly an adult comedy magician, but he does a great kids show when pressed. And the Bill in Lemon is a highlight always.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 01:23, danfreed wrote:
Balloons can go over great with that age group. Sometimes really good balloon guys are hired for high school grad parties and very swanky adult events. At a kids party teens and tweens often want balloons, but sometimes they don't because it's seems too kiddy-ish when most people are younger. But, if most of them are the same age and 1 or 2 of them want one, then it's cool, and they all want one.

Agreed!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
408 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
I agree with Shaun. That is the age where kids see themselves as adults. I remove a lot of the physical comedy, and props, and concentrate on a well scripted show with lots of jokes. Also I offer balloon "sculptures" instead of "animals. They tend to receive
that wording better. I always do bill in lemon, but with an orange. Cut and restore rope, egg bag and cups and balls for the end with a ring box production with a "the end" silk.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids shows for 11-13 age group (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL