The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Magic with story, 2 video clips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
I’ve been working on weaving stories into my magic for some time now and I finally got a couple of video clips made.

I welcome any constructive thoughts or tips.

The four card – 3 Card Monte
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Fw0vAtXec

The young lad and the mysterious stranger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGb-sW-eoY

Thanks everyone,
Steve
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I very much enjoyed the stories. To me the real magic is not in the manipulation of the stories, but what happens in my imagination as I "see" the Devil and the old man with the thick glasses.

How are the stories playing for non magicians? What age levels and what settings?

Darrell
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Hello Darrell:

My magic has always been geared toward a lay audience. These two videos are relatively new efforts of mine in weaving a story into a magical routine.

These routines are certainly not openers nor are they appropriate for a faster paced show environment. I have successfully added them into my longer private shows. The response I have received to both routines has been very good.

My shows are primarily adult audiences though I have performed both of these routines for groups as young as 10 and they communicate very clearly.

My settings are indoor and outdoor venues with some being turn-of-the-century era.

I am new to storytelling and presently I’ve been connecting with local storytelling groups in a hope of both improving my writing and telling techniques.

It’s a new, exciting and creative adventure in my magic performance and I’m having a great time with it.

Thanks Darrell,
Steve
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Steve,

In the four card - three card monte, you talked about the sights and sounds of the midway. Those are very location and time period specific, and you may find that some folks don't know what that means. Can I suggest changing that phrase to something more descriptive, maybe give some examples of those sights and sounds. You did this so very well when describing the devil character in the second routine.

I also thought that you had reached the end of the first routine when you said about owing the con man a debt. It seemed like a natural conclusion, and the reveal that the cards had changed back to their original state seemed to belabor the point. If you cut it at the pause after the debt it would tighten it up and make the conclusion a little punchier.

In the second routine, don't change a thing, the poem is great, and the visual nature of the spread at the end, ie the shape made by the lay out of the cards, is beautiful. I very much enjoyed watching your performances. Thanks for sharing these.
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas Brynmore14, they are much appreciated.

I have been working hard at writing, rewriting and fine tuning the scripts and since I'm not really a writer it can be frustrating to say the least. I am hoping to find a storytelling coach here in Minneapolis that I might be able to work with one-on-one.

Thanks again,
Steve
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

Vlad Grigorescu
View Profile
New user
Romania, Bucharest
95 Posts

Profile of Vlad Grigorescu
Saw the 3 Card Monte video. Good story! My amateur/personal directing opinion says you should have used some music, make the story a little bit shorter(the A.D.H.D. generation) and ad a different finale. The effect seams to be the same all the time. The cards change. At the end I think it needs to have a bigger surprise then that.

PS: Great story telling voice and look!
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Everyone, excellent points to think about, thank you so much for the great thoughts and ideas!

Many thanks,
Steve
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
Steve
I think you do a great job. You seem to be a natural storyteller. You must have worked on these two routines a great bit because they flow very well. I liked both routines but especially the second one. Keep up the good work , I look forward to seeing more of your stories. Also I want to add that your timing and handling of the card tricks matched the stories very well. BRAVO!!
Magic is Everywhere
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
You did a great job and I enjoy both of the effect s.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
I liked your story telling you have a great voice for it.
Clicked on the link for your art and it is fantastic!!
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Steve -- I loved them both. I agree with the point about perhaps a bit shorter and quicker -- but only by a little. You say you're not a writer -- I am and I admire what youve come up with. Your proper venue might indeed be the storytelling crowd because they are more patient and love the spell to be woven as much as they wait for the punch line. Yes, the voice and direct glance are excellent for making the story and also for distracting from the handling of the cards, which you keep quite low. I'm a fan. Keep it up!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Magic with story, 2 video clips (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL