The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spectator as mind reader routines (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Jermay gets away with it.

You need to take a chance. What's the objective? To make it it look like the the spec has powers or to "get away with it"?

To me you're demonstrating something. If you make it last great, if not at least for that short period of time, that pit in the stomach moment, you've made it happen.
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Gumar Oz DuBar
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 11:59, John C wrote:

You need to take a chance. What's the objective? To make it it look like the the spec has powers or to "get away with it"?

To me you're demonstrating something. If you make it last great, if not at least for that short period of time, that pit in the stomach moment, you've made it happen.

I agree that Jermay gets away with it as well as anyone who understands the value of presentation and such.

I'm not sure if the question was directed toward me, was rhetorical, or was simply for the sake of the thread, but I never once implied that "getting (sic) away with it" was the objective nor do I state that now.

Be well.
Gumar-Oz-DuBar
I write and edit text.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
My "In Your Pocket" effect is still available at no charge for anyone willing to provide feedback.

Impromptu, spectator reads your mind. incredible opener for other Mentalism effects.

No "instant stooge" as the volunteer assistant usually does not consciously realize what is happening, and those that do will never reveal what they suspect.

Out of 107 requests last real 19 said they would not perform it because of fear of possible failure -- and they probably would. For those who know it will work -- it does.

I disagree with MindPro above. I am not the one will "special powers" and never pretend to be. There is no more powerful Mentalism than to support another person's exceeding their limitations.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 13:12, Gumar Oz DuBar wrote:
Quote:

I agree that Jermay gets away with it as well as anyone who understands the value of presentation and such.

I'm not sure if the question was directed toward me, was rhetorical, or was simply for the sake of the thread, but I never once implied that "getting (sic) away with it" was the objective nor do I state that now.

Be well.
Gumar-Oz-DuBar

Well, you kinda did.
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Gumar Oz DuBar
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 14:25, John C wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 13:12, Gumar Oz DuBar wrote:
Quote:

Be well.
Gumar-Oz-DuBar

Well, you kinda did.

Where?

Quote:
On 2013-12-27 11:23, Gumar Oz DuBar wrote:
Jermay's EI has a phase where you instant stooge someone, but like others have said it, it can look way too much exactly like what you're doing in reality; instant stooging.

Where in here did I say, or remotely imply that the objective is to "get away with it"? In your original post you even used quotes when using those words, and I didn't even say them!!!

If read, my post is quite clearly an answer to the OP's question, which is a recommendation for material that uses spectator mind reading, therefore including Jermay's EI. In no way does my post have anything to do with an objective, but rather my opinion of the material I recommended to the OP.

My remark about the fact that "it can look way too much exactly like what you're doing", was a mirror of what others had said about instant stooging if not done in a proper "framing" and without proper presentational skills (audience management, deception, etc.).

Gumar-Oz-Dubar
I write and edit text.
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1966 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Quote - Charliehuang

New user
Taipei, Taiwan
16 Posts Posted: Dec 24, 2013 7:51am
"Hey guys, I'm new here, and I'm interested in spectator as mind reader routines. Can anyone suggest books or some sort that include these kind of effects?"

No offence intended to anyone but aloe of posts arn't directly answering and are only giving there opinion on the plot.

In the end there is no one answer fits all. So long as the motive for performance is in the interests of the spectator the worlds you's oyster.

It's all about the spectators wether they play the main role or not. If you don't care about them enough to consider their thoughts views and feelings why should they care about yours?

The main point to this post is to suggest we do our best to observe and listen, sometimes we neglect the most fundamental things. If we do then we may learn something along the way.

Empathy and compassion are two valuable lessons.

Love you all Smile
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1966 Posts

Profile of celebrity
And yep I've been supping whiskey all night ha ha
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Celebrity-

If you look back on the thread you'll see that, even though I don't care for the premise, I did direct him to George Anderson's seminal work on the subject, "You, Too, Can Read Minds."
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1966 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Bob can't fault that at all! Smile

Even though I sit in a different camp as far as the plots concerned that just boils down to personal preference. All that matters is the relationship with the audience at the end of the day. As I say there is no right and wrong answer.

There is equal value to be found in both camps performance wise so long as you understand the "fundementals" Smile

Read as much as you can about both but most of all try to understand what it is your audience cares about most!

granterg
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of granterg
Out of This World.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-12-27 20:48, granterg wrote:
Out of This World.

Where else is there?
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Phantom by Brandon Queen - actually @ ebay..
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spectator as mind reader routines (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL