The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Buskers in the South East of England (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Are there any buskers out there that are based in the South East of England who don't mind sharing their experiences with me? I'm 47 based in Essex (near Southend) a professional children's entertainer but looking to move into the world of street entertaining.
Thanks
Mark
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Hi, you may have more success in getting local replies at MagicBunny.co.uk
A personal teacher/tutor is great to have to help you one your way.

Have you thought of taking a trip to near-by cities/towns and walking about to see if there any magic buskers to talk to. Do the talking during breaks in between their Shows.
Another source: contact nearby magician clubs for those who have street experience. Some will have 'walk-about' magic performances and that's a lead-in to relating to the public.

It's great to have a tutor/teacher to get you started and encourage you along the way, but for some the only practical way to get started is by reading internet sites and watching YouTube and buying Street Magic DVDs and books, study them, get a show of two or three tricks together, and then be so bold to get onto the street and try things out.
Are you currently busking in any way?
Ask any busker on the street for some hints, and you'll get some information that will help you in some way, if not now, then later in your busking experience.
The presentation makes the magic.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Hello MagiCol
Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, no I don't have any busking experience as yet (apart from a little balloon twisting years ago). I'm trying to put a small show together now the Christmas rush is over (a very busy time for a Children's entertainer!). I have a big problem with time - I work every weekend and I have 2 young children. However this is one of the reasons why I would like to try busking - not to stop children's shows altogether - but to have a bit more flexibility in my life. Even if it means not earning so much money.

I will check magicbunny out.

Again - thanks for your input
Mark
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Get Down to Covent Garden London ..go to Magic cornor many street acts there
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Yes get a camera and go downs to convent Garden and film every busker on Magic conor. Watch there videos back and watch how they build the crowd, interact with the crowd and how they hat (ask for money).

Also have a read of this if you like the approach get his book http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.co.nz/

If you don't mind making a investment this guy rocks http://www.schoolofbusking.com/

As you already perform just go out there and do something. Find 3 effects you can well that need no rest and you can carry in your pockets. Have a small case to collect the money with a sign that says MAGIC. Here are some notes on the 3 effects,
1- Something visual and repeatable. you will do this to get peoples attention. I use multiplying bananas. But silk vanish would work or rocky the racoon to name a few.
2- Once you got some one eye draw them in engage its worth having a effect that they can hold and take part in. I use sponge balls with a purse frame. You can also use cards, Coins. it good to hand them something then they cant wonder of it also give you a conversation.
3- Multily phase and plays big (15ish people) I do a single rope routine but egg bag or chop cup will work as well.

This will be just a small door way show to 5-20 pepole lasting 10- 15min. Keep doing it and keep asking for money. Half way thru make a joke about tipping. At the end a simple thank you for watching I have done my part for street entertainment now you need to do yours, then point at the box of money will work fine.

Now something appropriate about the UK since leaving in New Zealand is it dense population. Go in to any town center and there are people and a chance to busk. Yes you might get moved on that's OK you will have to try really hard to get arrested. I would try these locations Chemlsford find some were with good foot fall but don't set up right next to a shop. Baisldon shopping center use to have lots of life don't know whats it like now. Id also give Southend a shot. Up by the shops or on the beach side just down from Peter Pans. Last time I was ther the end by the kurrzle was a bit dead but try there aswell.

Hope this all helps good luck and go for it.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Yellowcustard - thanks for that great reply. You obviously know my home turf well!

Hi mike - yes convent garden is only an hours train ride away. I've been there many times. Always useful watching other performers.

Thanks again

Mark
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
I'd say watch but don't necessary copy. The joy is you can repeat a show upteen times in a day and change and adapt it everytime.
I'm so tired of hearing the same lines and seeing people with the same charmless persona.
Be yourself and show your charm.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Absolutely Harry. I've seen many Gazzo clones. I enjoy watching Gazzo but his style wouldn't suit my personality at all.
Lady Vee
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Lady Vee
Hi Mark

We run the School of Busking here in the UK in Cardiff once a year and the next one is in May (we are half full already) In the the School of Busking Mario Morris doesn't teach you tricks or how to be a clone - he encourages and teaches how to be unique and the theory behind street theatre. We have 2 days of lectures and workshops where you get to work on your own material, put what you learn into practice then on the 3rd day you go out and do it on the streets and get great support and constructive feedback too.

There is also a number of Free videos and articles on the School of Busking website from Mario and other street performers with real advice on street theatre. You can find it here - http://www.schoolofbusking.com and also some good advice and thoughts and more on Mario's blog on his website

Hope this helps

Lady Vee
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
Hi,
I'm now considering this course. I'm also a children's enterainer looking to hit the street. Why in my forties I think this is a good idea I don't know!

The thing is, I've always wanted to be a mime artist. I wonder if my style will fit into the course.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Hello Lady Vee
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the School of Busking and it sounds like a good idea. I have Mario's booklet and DVD already.

Harry - I too am in my 40s. However I've always wanted to try busking from an early age. First singing/playing guitar (not a good idea as I can't sing nor play the guitar!) and now with magic. I've been performing professionally for 15 years - but nearly all of that is children's shows with a bit of close up every now and then.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Buskers in the South East of England (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL