The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » High quality durable paper needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!
I'm looking for blank paper that I can cut into the shape of regular money bills. These will be used quite a lot (EB2) so they have to stand the test of time and wear.
I tried with magazine clippings and they were goners before I even started using the gimmick..

So, where can I get high quality paper and what is it called? Making gimmicks to use side-by-side with real money makes you appreciate the quality of authentic money bills..
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Copying paper from Office depo should work fine.
Todd
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On 2013-12-28 17:24, bowers wrote:
Copying paper from Office depo should work fine.
Todd

Thank you bowers, but as I am not in the US I do not have a home depot, and the stores here have regular blank paper. Is that what you use?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Has anyone tried this "copying paper"? Is it really different from any other paper?

When I made up an "easy money" gaff with some resume quality paper, the folding and unfolding resulted in tears after maybe 50-100 uses.

I did use some Tyvec paper. It seems to last much longer, but it is very slippery, so it doesn't handle as well for me.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
It has worked for me in the past.
Todd
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Use drawing paper - you can purchase drawing and/or sketch pads in any craft store or on Amazon. Get a pad with 70 lb paper. It's perfect for bills and will feel and last much better than copy paper.

Jim
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Jim's right I knew there was another paper I
had used.But I could not put my finger on it.
Todd
RicoGood
View Profile
Regular user
The devil told me
159 Posts

Profile of RicoGood
Go to a printing place (not a copy shop) and ask for samples of this kind of paper. They have a wide range of papers.
The normal use of this paper is for flower-tablets. Those, to push in the ground.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
The paper Jim and I are talking about
is mainly used for drawing.It come's
in a tablet.And the pound's refer to
the density of the paper.
Todd
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Water color paper from an artists supply story. This kind of paper is used by artists doing water color painting. They come in smooth and textured finishes.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
Best I found is here:

http://www.allweatherpaper.co.uk/printab......er-paper

Has a plastic feel to it. Not as durable as Tyvek but way less expensive.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-12-29 10:46, bowers wrote:
And the pound's refer to
Todd
Actually the pound refers to the basis weight of the paper of a certain size in 500 sheets. Seventy pound paper means that a ream (500 pages) of that paper at a specific size will weigh seventy pounds, etc.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 15:16, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-29 10:46, bowers wrote:
And the pound's refer to
Todd

Actually the pound refers to the basis weight of the paper of a certain size in 500 sheets. Seventy pound paper means that a ream (500 pages) of that paper at a specific size will weigh seventy pounds, etc.

So that is means that the ream of paper has to be a uniform thickness to weigh that much. Thus it refers to the weight, and more weight means thicker or more mass for each sheet of paper sheet of paper.

So you say potato, and we say ...
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
That is correct.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is different thicknesses of magazine paper. With the high end magazines, the paper is very heavy and would last a while.

I once used paper that was called biology paper. It was white opaque paper and worked great for tricks with bills.

I have also used gloss paper, but no paper will last constant use for a very long time.

You might want to check out the newer plastic photograph paper sold to print your own pictures on inkjet printers. This paper has a plastic quality to them and should last longer. If you have to crease it to sharply, it may crack with constant use, but they should last longer then ordinary paper.
InventorRu
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of InventorRu
I have to confess to taking a rather different approach right from the start.
I never believed paper would last for hundreds of practise sessions so immediately started planning how I could change everything quickly and easily when things started to look shabby.
I began by deciding I was going to use Extreme Burn to change magazine adverts and vouchers in to genuine £20 notes Stirling - as I am working in the UK.From magazines I scanned lots of different magazine vouchers and using Photoshop made up several I liked the look of.I also made up images for the backs or other sides,a couple of the backs were just cut out sections of indifferent magazine articles but I also made up a couple with a name and address box so they looked like the kind you would fill in and send by post.Naturally this design process was driven by my desire for them look as I thought they should as a theatrical prop rather than being technically accurate.By saving each image to a fresh blank document of A4 size I let the computer automatically place it in the centre of the page,this meant that if I just turned the paper over in the printer and then printed the image I had prepared for the reverse side I knew they would exactly line up with each other when cut.I then renamed all documents in such a way there would be no confusion even if it was months before I printed the next batch…so they are filed in a folder..'Vouchers for Extreme Burn' then each document is 'Voucher 1 FRONT' 'Voucher 1 BACK' 'Voucher 2 FRONT….etc.Each being a different document and each being centred in its own page.
I worked out the sizes so they would print just a few millimetres too big to give me a bit of margin to cut.Finally having measured our £20 note very carefully I cut a rectangle of brass plate exactly to the size of the note which I then filed smooth and polished.This might seem like a lot of work but I'm now in the very nice position that I only have to print fresh ones,lay the brass rectangle over the image,press down hard and cut neatly around it with a sharp knife.As I took great care in making the brass plate exactly the correct size,the vouchers are always exact too.
Making the whole job of providing fresh ones very easy.

Rufus
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
One word: "TYVEK"

Best quality paper IMO. Will last a VERY long time!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » High quality durable paper needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL