The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best tricks that tell a story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Story telling in moderation can be a powerful skill or weapon. Too much of it could bore an audience. Be you, let your audience connect with you.
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Nutty Surprise by Pete Biro
Teleportation Device by Pop Hayd'n
Gypsy Thread
Torn Restored Newspaper
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
This is a great thread Martin! Thanks for posting.

I really like stories and magic.

Sometimes I use stories that are clearly make-believe. For example, one of my favorites is Steve Valentine's "3". He uses the classic monte "story". However, I like to do this with a story about a Kingdom with three brothers fighting over the Kingdom.

Sometimes I do stories that tread a fine line between fantasy and reality. For example, using the effect "The Extractor", I do a story about having a dream that involves the participant. In one of Mel Meller's DVDs, he does a similar "dream" routine using the invisible deck.

Sometimes I use stories that seem real. For example, I talk about my aunt who lost her mind. This routine combines cards and rubber band magic.

like you, I like to take existing plots, effects, etc. and think about how they could be different. Think about how you might combine an existing effect with another effect or something new and create a story. One of the ways of doing this, is with "imperfect" magic. Dave Williamson is good at doing this. You start with an effect, and it doesn't seem to be going well. You go to plan B, and end with the effect coming full circle. If your story involves the audience and appears impromptu, it will draw the audience in more.

Best of luck with your magic and enjoy!

KJ
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I was honored that Pete Biro allowed me to script a presentation for his marketed Nutty Surprise. Walt
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
I was honored that Pete Biro allowed me to script a presentation for his marketed Nutty Surprise. Walt

Walt,

I just ordered your book. I'm really looing forward to it.

KJ
Shuaige
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Shuaige
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2013, Harry Lorayne wrote:
You might want to check out my Magician Vs. Gambler.

Mr Lorayne,

May I know if this is a book or DVD or a single trick?

Regards
Lau
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hi: Originally in my pamphlet, Personal Secrets (early 1960s) out of print. I perform/teach it on Vol. 1 of my 4-volume "Best Ever" DVD set. And, you can see me perform it (not under the best of circumstances) if you go to www.youtube.com/harrylorayneonvideo . You can also learn more about my stuff if you go to my magic website - third address listed under this post with the word "magic" in it. And no, I never put out a book or DVD with one trick in/on it. Best - Harry L.
(If you have any questions, email to my personal email address, first one listed under this post.) Best - Harry.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Tricks don't tell stories, magicians do. This is the problem with reading the instructions with quoted "patter" or watching a DVD with someone else telling you what to do or say. A truly great illusion builder tried to tell me that there was only one way to do the trick he built from the plans (Steinmeyer's Modern Art) and I bought from him: the way that the Pendragons did it on TV. Hah! Not true! The story comes from taking the trick, i.e. the stuff and the method, and thinking outside of the box. Incorporating the trick into your show, your persona, your character. What is the thing? What is the effect? How can you tell a story about it? Does it tie in with a theme you are trying to convey? Where are the dramatic points in the presentation? How can you make it memorable? Watch Eugene Burger take the simplest litle magic item and, using his deep voice, long bearded face, and great personality, turn it into a minor miracle before a huge audience or a small group. See how he creatively tells a story. Watch any of the old Copperfield TV specials. See how he weaves magic, music and theater into stories in most of his illusions. Fred Kaps is a master storyteller as well. The magic trick is only secondary to the theater. You want to move the audience, to make them feel something. That's good storytelling. Magic tricks are the tools you use to tell great stories. They are the props used in a great theatrical performance. What stories will you tell?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Every magic trick IS a story. They aren't all good stories, and they aren't all presented in a way that is easy to retell.

Most of the time, adding a story onto the story of the trick is like pouring ketchup over quiche.

That being said, One Card Pete, Color Monte, and Cannibal Kings are successful attempts to combine a story with the plot of an effect.

What is the story that you want you spectators to tell about what they have seen?

Any story that you tell with a routine should serve the magic; it should make it easier for the spectator to remember, explain and defend the story of the effect itself.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I would say On The Blood Re-Loaded by Lebanon Circle, not only is a very good story the props are absolutely fantastic, one of my favourite effects to perform.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
After you've checked out Magician VS Gambler, check out my Card Shark & The Four GI even tellamblers and The Lorayne Poker Deal. I even tell a story, if you can call it that, when I do Lazy Man's Card Trick.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2013, Dougini wrote:
Wanna tell story magic? This book will inspire you not only to write fantastic stories, it can change the way you do, and view Magic! This $35 tome will give you the tools to really PERFORM, with YOUR tales of Enchantment!

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/tales_of_enchantment.htm

Doug

This is a really good book! I second this one. In addition to reading this book, think about things in your life you could turn into a story. They could be personal experiences, or things you have seen. For example, watch comedy on TV or youtube. Take an amusing comedy bit twist it around, and give it a magic plot. I think Saturday Night Live or Mad TV skits are great sources of inspiration for magic plots. Also, read the papers for real life stories.

For example, there was a story recently about a monkey in Russia that had to be put into alcohol rehab. I can think of ten different comedy magic ways to go with this story. Sometimes, all you need is the headline and you can create your own story or routine around this. For the Monkey story, I created a routine using a different version of the magic pizza box effect with the monkey getting into his car, driving down to the liquor store, getting drunk, and getting lost. In the end, someone just takes the car keys ways from him and sends him to alcohol rehab. The routine starts with an actual printout of the story, then I kid around about a story a bit, then "re-enact" the story, and end with a lesson about how you should never give your car keys to your pet monkey.

Another source is things you did as a kid. There are so many things we did as kids that people can relate to, and it brings them back to their own childhood. Another source is romantic stories. Ask your friends to tell you stories from their past, unusual stories. Retell the story in a magic way. Go to an elderly home and ask some of the elders for the most unusual story they ever heard or experienced. See if any of those stories could be twisted around and turned into a magic plot.

However, I would first do as Doug suggested, and start with the Tales of Enchantment book, because it will give you ideas of how you can take ANY story or plot and figure out how to fit it into a magic theme.

As Doug said, it just might change your magic life.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Martinjmac497,

I think this is one of the best "new to magic" topics posted! Far too frequently, we see magicians performing an effect the way they see it done in a magic book or DVD. It would be like if every singer just sang the same dozen songs, pretty much the same way, or if comedians got on stage and told the same jokes over and over.

I was recently at the Magic Castle and saw a few acts. Most of what I saw were effects and routines you can purchase "in a can".

While there are a handful of magicians that create and perform very unique material, the vast majority of magicians are just regurgitating what they saw on a video.

Congrats to you for trying to do something different!

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best tricks that tell a story (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL