The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Interesting video that puts the time of the universe in perspective. I didn't know that a T-Rex is closer to seeing a Miley Cyrus concert than a T-Rex was to seeing a live stegosouris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XkV6IpV2Y0
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Interesting.

Seeing Miley Cyrus in concert certainly would have caused T-Rex to want extinction...
Sent from my Typewriter
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I, for one, would hold out for the live stegosaurus. Smile Nice presentation- thanks for the post.
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
This is one I've always enjoyed>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YrHl7X7cOE
JMN
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Nice video, Slide. Although the frustrated cosmologist in me can't help but point out that the "Heat Death" scenario is only one of a few of the potential end-of-universe scenarios. Another scenario is called "the Big Crunch," in which gravity is the force that ultimately overcomes everything else: at some point in the future, the universe starts to contract. The contraction continues until the universe collapses back in on itself, kind of a Reverse Big Bang. (Or, there's a cousin theory called the Big Bounce that follows the same story, except with a little tweak that gravitational force actually is repulsive at super low distance scales. So after the universe collapses enough, the repulsive force kicks in and we get a new Big Bang.)

The other main end-of-universe scenario is called the Big Rip. In the Big Rip, the universe's expansion is the dominant force. The universe continues to accelerate more and more, until eventually areas of the universe are causally disconnected from each other. ("Causally disconnected," meaning that it would require faster-than-light travel to reach one area from another). Eventually, these causally disconnected regions become finer and finer. At some point, distant stars start to disappear. Then galaxies. Then all the stars in the sky vanish. Then we can't see the sun any more. Eventually, molecules physically become impossible, because each atom is causally disconnected from every other atom. Then even atoms get ripped apart. And it continues down to the smallest scales.

To be sure, we don't currently know enough about the universe to tell what scenario (if any) is correct. (Although, the Big Crunch / Big Bounce scenarios are currently thought to be unlikely, based on current observations. At least, barring some theoretical revelation in our understanding of gravity.) So I wish the video would have at least acknowledged that Heat Death is only one possible scenario. But otherwise, excellent video. Smile
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 03:31, MobilityBundle wrote:
gravity is the force that ultimately overcomes everything else:
How can gravity overcome everything else when it is so much weaker than the 3 other natural forces?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Persistence?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 10:44, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Quote:
How can gravity overcome everything else when it is so much weaker than the 3 other natural forces?

Two things. First, there's no gravitational "charge," which means everything is only gravitationally attracted to everything else. That's in contrast with the other known forces, which are sometimes attractive and sometimes repulsive. Second (and perhaps relatedly), gravity is significant even over very long ranges.

So the total gravitational force in the universe is a bit like the total destructive force of an ant colony: the contribution of any single ant (or any single bit of matter) is insignificant, but its coordination makes the total effect significant.

Which is to just say what Tommy said: persistence. Smile
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I've always had a feeling that time speeds up when nobody is watching.

Sort of like that tree making no sound when falling in the forest. Smile

Tom
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Time speeds up when you're having fun for sure. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-12-29 11:08, Slide wrote:

Interesting video that puts the time of the universe in perspective. I didn't know that a T-Rex is closer to seeing a Miley Cyrus concert than a T-Rex was to seeing a live stegosouris.

Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 10:44, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Quote:

It's certainly doing a number on me.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Hey, where is King Kong? I remember him killing a T-Rex (or was it?) and then wiggling its broken jaw to make sure it wss dead. Lynn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Time (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL