The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Dust Jacket Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
of the JV Naughty Vanish....
884 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
I didn't know where else to ask this so I thought here was as good a place as any.... What is a good way to protect a books dust jacket from getting ripped and worn?
I don't care how fast or slow you are.... As long as I am faster.. -J-
nooner
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of nooner
Wrap with an archival book jacket cover. I used to use Brodart but switched to Gaylord a few years ago and haven't looked back.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Wrap the book in aluminum foil, covered with wax paper, tapes together. put all this in a large ziplock bag and place it in a bank vault. I'll never get damaged.

:)
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
I remove them immediately and store them flat in an artist's portfolio case.
Books should have acid free covers but I use brown paper because I'm cheap.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
lotcaster
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
151 Posts

Profile of lotcaster
As nooner said, and archival book jacket cover is best. That's what we wrap the hardbacks in my library with - it works really well.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Is Gaylord a brand or the company you bought it from ?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
lotcaster
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
151 Posts

Profile of lotcaster
Gaylord and Brodart are vendors that primarily serve libraries, archives, and museums. The general public can buy from them, though:

http://gaylord.com/listing.asp?H=3&PCI=128153

http://www.shopbrodart.com/book-covers/
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you don't mind going to some local book stores, they usually have cover jackets under the cashier counter. I always wondered why there is absolutely no notice of them having them for sale. I started by getting them from a book store, they only had covers with a black tape on the edges. After a while this tape gets sticky and falls off, leaving a sticky residue. My friend found some from a used book store without the tape and is much nicer.

You have to measure carefully your books, as they are made in different sizes to cover the book properly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Dust Jacket Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL