The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Do you get restless when you're not performing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

granterg
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of granterg
I'm starting to get restless.

The more material I learn, the more restless I get.

The only way to cure this is to be performing.

Bob Cassidy is right when he says that mentalism, unlike magic, is something that cannot be practised alone.

Having said all of this, the worst thing you can do is to push your mentalism on others, and make them watch something you're working on.

And hanging out with other magicians is fun, but they don't appreciate your stuff as much as lay people do.

So, do you guys get anxious or restless when there's no one around to perform for?

Respect,

granterg
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
This is normal, itching to perform...

I say offer free shows at Old Folks Homes, Hospitals, Schools and Orphanages. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Yes, I do.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
I am tempted to say "get a life !"

Sometimes our performance and creativity works better if we can step back, do other things and then come back with a fresh mind. We can sometimes be so much 'into' our hobby or career that we fail to see the bigger picture. We become the geek.

[P.S. this is a general observation, not aimed at anyone on this thread]
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I get restless when I don't have enough gigs to pay the bills. Once the bills are covered I am happy with how much or how little I am performing. So no for me. Don't get restless.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Hi,

Absolutely!

I believe that the answer lies in making work.

I send out flyers to women's organizations offering talks. While there I mention Psychic Home Parites. That produces a cycle of work.

Several times a year I'll rent a performance space, do some advertising and word of mouth and do a stage show.

The stage show produces leads for other gigs and readings.

Define what your market is and promote yourself. There are dozens of ways of making work. If you don't want to do stage work, work something out with a local coffee shop or bar to do close up.

If performing is a hobby and not how you pay the bills, approach high schools, colleges and fraternal organizations. Some will be thrilled to put on a free show. Plus, it will get your name out there.

Anyway, that's what think...

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
If I get restless, well. Yes. It goes both ways - there is an urge to study methods and techniques and there is an urge to practice them.

I come up with my own ideas and immediately have to note it down and try to make it happen. Usually those ideas comes in the worst moment as well; when almost falling asleep and/or doing something that need full on attention.

I usually say;

"The best salary is the baffled faces."

I love performing.

- John.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I understand the restlessness. There is nothing more depressing than an empty embalming gurney.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Do you get restless when you're not performing? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL