The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magic Trick #3 app: the cheapest Book Test ever! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
professorwho
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of professorwho
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 15:29, MagicApps wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 12:56, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Not to sound like a hater but the toxic force sounds like a lot less work, you only have to worry about whatever you want to reveal from the force page rather than saving 400+ words into an app. Using toxic you could very easily do this impromptu with a borrowed book and a borrowed phone.

Mark

You're right, the App is useless for a impromptu performance.
To set up a full book routine you have to spend 20-25 minutes once to store all keywords.
Once it is done, the trick can be repeated as often as required with the same audience without touching the book.
Performing with the app, the spectators believe you memorized all the book as you can name many words of many pages.
Both has strengths and weaknesses.

Hmm, it seems to me that repeating the trick enough to make people think you've memorised the whole book is weaker than doing a straight forward "telepathy" type book test with a toxic force. But then I may not be thinking like a Magician and if it works for other people...
I love sponges
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I can see the idea and it's only 69p but I can't really see the market for it, maybe joe public that wants to do something for his mates down the pub or as a party trick. There are just too many good simple book tests out there, hoy, aaa, Colin McLeods, Richard Osterlind has a few. If I'm using my iPhone then the chances are I'm doing a casual performance for a small group. There are very few effects requiring the phones calculator that I would use in a formal performance. Maybe during an add a number routine or sum total I may suggest they use the calculator on their phone.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I do find the app interesting. Toxic is great but it is not supported by all phones, Androids in particular, out of the box (or calculators for that matter). This can be a nice backup and I can see this used for things other than a 'book test'.

(On a sidenote, if anyone knows how to make toxic work on Android, please do PM me).
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 21:24, ash2arani wrote:

(On a sidenote, if anyone knows how to make toxic work on Android, please do PM me).

Sent you a PM.
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Thanks Gordon. Smile
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
So I bought this and it is pretty cool. It needs a really extensive setup however. How ever many pages there are, that's how many 2 word entries you need to enter. So going through your book 1 page at a time. But after the one time setup. That's it your done. Instantly repeatable. I'm thinking of taking one of my book tests I already own, and adding two more words per page so that I can use the book as originally intended, or use the calculator for a rally seemingly random page number. Devious app. I like it. For .99 what do you have to lose. Just my 2 cents.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
If you've ever read any of my posts, you'll see that I am quick to criticize. Usually I get more frustrated than I do excited. However, this is probably the best $1 I've ever spent in magic and I cannot hold back. There is little room for criticism. Some of the above comments are non-issues. This app is astounding. I particularly like loading in art journal type books. I'm able to tell the person exactly what image they are seeing on the page in grave detail.

I do, however, have some tiny suggestions. First, I wish you could load multiple books. "Do it with another book." This is a request that is not beyond reach and would absolutely blow them away. On the startup screen, why not have choices for the magician "book 1, book 2, book 3, etc." Also, a more genuine looking startup screen would be nice. Not a page that says "start trick." Why not just load up the calculator and make it a special sequence that gets you into the menus? Camouflaging the icon would be nice too. Once or twice I accidentlly cleared the essential screen from the phone during the handoff. Some sort of locking mechanism would be good. I would also suggest a "get straight to it" option. Let me plug in a three digit number and use the same method for revealing the content of that page number as I would usually use after a calculation is performed. However, I'm nitpicking as I want to see this app become perfect. I have truly fallen in love.

1. They truly enter random numbers
2. They get what seems to be a real number after the calculation (this app does not work by simply forcing a number)
3. A 700 page book becomes completely manageable
4. I was able to EASILY manage producing 10 word "predictions" today on my first day with this app
5. The setup was not too time consuming. AND, loading in the content actually helped a lot with my presentation. I was able to provide massive details if picture pages were chosen because I had to study the pictures a bit for setup. So...it evoked a bit of valuable memorization.
6. Toxic force has always seemed suspicious to me. This is ABSOLUTELY not suspicious. The app even looks like the genuine calculator app.
7. You need only the book and the phone you always carry.
8. It's cheap. I would purchase this app if it were $20. WITHOUT QUESTION.
9. You can involve multiple people: you name a number, you name a number, you name a number, you pick two books......

I feel very strongly about this effect.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
I fully agree with Robvs.

A simple setup is to pick up an inexpensive Thesaurus. One hour later, you are good to go.
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
It's my new favorite effect. The book I use has a picture on every other page. I find that revealing details about illustrations is even more powerful than using only words. It's added a whole new dimension to my book test effects and IT IS FRYING PEOPLE.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Another suggestion if the creators are here...if you move the phone too much it exits the calculator screen and enters the setup. Not something that spectators should see "Start trick." A touch of management makes this impossible, but this feature should really be removed.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2014, jconstantine wrote:
So I bought this and it is pretty cool. It needs a really extensive setup however. How ever many pages there are, that's how many 2 word entries you need to enter. So going through your book 1 page at a time. But after the one time setup. That's it your done. Instantly repeatable. I'm thinking of taking one of my book tests I already own, and adding two more words per page so that I can use the book as originally intended, or use the calculator for a rally seemingly random page number. Devious app. I like it. For .99 what do you have to lose. Just my 2 cents.

I just want to clarify. You do not really need to enter every single page's information. I use a 150 page book. I have entered only 80 pages worth of data. Therefore, the app will produce results only from the first 80 pages. It fudges the math a bit for you. I don't know if it always does, or only when it needs to for your benefit. I believe you could enter 80 pages of a 800 page book and make it look amazing.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Still loving this thing...another suggestion for the developer:
I love doing this effect more than once. It really sells the effect. However, I would love it if the second presentation of the effect had another method. I would love it if you can present the second presentation while knowing the page number in advance. Maybe the decimal place of the first presentation can be the next page number it will produce. So when you get that "do it again without hovering over my calculator" request, you can comply.

Just an idea.

Here's a compilation of my suggestions:
1. Allow multiple books to be loaded
2. Inconspicuous icon
3. Inconspicuous startup screen (no "start trick")
4. Removal of iphone motion creating an exit from the calculator's result screen
5. Allow the calculator's result to present you with the page number for the current presentation and the NEXT presentation (you can camouflage this suggestion even more if you want- make it the reverse of the decimal if you want).

That's all I got. You're inches away from being the best.
Schism
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Schism
When is the release date for android?
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Late to the party Smile Have therie been any updates as listed above? The app page says "On sale now for just $0.99, the app is 75% off its normal price for a limited time! " Yet the price is $2.99? Mikael can you update us here?

I may have a use for this soon.
MagicApps
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MagicApps
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2015, magicmind wrote:
Late to the party Smile Have therie been any updates as listed above? The app page says "On sale now for just $0.99, the app is 75% off its normal price for a limited time! " Yet the price is $2.99? Mikael can you update us here?

I may have a use for this soon.

Hi MagicMind,

I updated today the description but there is a little delay to see it.

Thanks
Mikael Montier
iOS | Android | magicapps.co | facebook | youtube
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magic Trick #3 app: the cheapest Book Test ever! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL