The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Small Hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FrostyFeet
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of FrostyFeet
I seem to have trouble with a lot of one handed stuff since I don't have very big hands.
Really have no idea what to do now =D.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Basically you just keep practicing. What type of magic are you working on?
JD Draws Things
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of JD Draws Things
One handed stuff like what? Charlier cut? Palm? One handed fan?
ruediger
View Profile
New user
germany/black forest
53 Posts

Profile of ruediger
*a lot of one handed stuff* ...means..what...?
In this specific case ( card sleights )...size doesn't matter Smile ...most of the time Smile
I have also small hands...but after some ( more or less ) time of hard practice, I was able to do all the stuff I worked on...just take your time...

But if you think you are not able to work properly with pokersize cards...you can try bridgesize ( I wouldn't ... )
regards

ruediger meier
--
no sig at all
FrostyFeet
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of FrostyFeet
Yeah mostly I noticed on fans that I couldn't make a nice spread fan. But I'll keep trying though.
JD Draws Things
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of JD Draws Things
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 17:10, FrostyFeet wrote:
Yeah mostly I noticed on fans that I couldn't make a nice spread fan. But I'll keep trying though.
I've seen some really nice one handed and Carnahan fans posted by teenagers and kids on Instagram. Practice practice practice
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Practice will get you far. Trust in the process. The more you practice, the better you will become.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
CTerence
View Profile
New user
Anaheim, CA
28 Posts

Profile of CTerence
Practice and change up the position to fit. I have smallish hands and find that I need to pinch the cards closer to my middle finger for a wide even fan. it's all just minor adjustments amnd finding what works for you.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I also have small hands. At 5'5", they are just right.

At first I adapted by using USA quarters and bridge sized cards.

Now I can use USA half or old Morgan dollars.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I used to think I had small hands as well until I compared hand sizes with two full time pros I worked for as a stage hand. One had hands slightly longer than mine, the other slightly shorter. After that, I figured out that hand size doesn't really matter. The real trick is figuring out how to adapt any move to your individual hands since nobody has hands exactly like the originator of a move. And since any individual who has invented a specific sleight probably didn't invent more than 5 to 10 at the most, any given move was likely invented with a different set of hands that worked a sleightly--pun intended--different way. So every move you learn will have to be adjusted to fit your hands. You also may find, as I have, that I take a move and not only adjust it to fit my hands, but radically change it and invent a totally new sleight. Another thing to keep in mind with any move is the amount of pressure you are putting on the cards. Too much pressure and the get "greasy" and slide around. This can be a problem with one handed moves in particular.
I hope that helps.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
MadHatterIzza
View Profile
New user
Brisbane
1 Post

Profile of MadHatterIzza
Having small hands myself I found it takes longer to learn moves. You got to keep practicing until it feels comfortable
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
Some people have small hands, some people have "windows" between their fingers, some people have dry hands, other have sweaty hands, etc. Whatever move works well for one hand type might not be as easy for another and vice versa. I had a hard time learning how to palm, but I succeeded
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Small Hands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL