The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chopped Ball Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
When using Sherwood Deluxe Balls, I notice that if I put an unchopped ball on top of a chopped ball, the weight of the ball dislodges the chopped ball, making the cup not retain the ball as it should. Is this a common problem with Sherwood Balls?

When I use a chopped cup, I have to revert back to my standard light weight balls. Is this what others have to do as well? Do the RNT2 Balls have the same weight and issue?
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
So, no one has jumped to answer my question. Maybe this is an issue of learning that some balls are better for certain routine, but not all routines. Do many use the sherwood balls? I have never held the RNT2 Balls, are they heavy like the sherwood balls?
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
187 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Tony,

The RNT2 balls are indeed heavy, and I find that they are not a good fit for my Johnson Chop Cup since the cup does not retain the ball when I rotate it to place on close up pad.

Thanks!

Gene
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Gene... that is odd that you find a bad fit using RNT2 balls with your Johnson Chop Cup... I will ask the obvious; have you played around with adjusting the ball? Speaking for myself, I have had great luck using RNT2 balls with my Johnson Chop Cup and my Papa Smurf wooden Chop Cups.

Tony... I only have straight sets of the Sherwood balls, I found your comment very interesting. Compared to like sets from RNT@ I found the Sherwood balls to be a little heavier.

Take care,
Bruce
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
When doing a routine like Dan Tongs chop cup routine, where you have to drop a ball on top of a chopped ball, the weight is difficult to manage and dislodges the chopped ball. Lighter balls don't have this trouble. For straight set routines, I like the weight.

Eventually I will need to try the adjustable chopped ball from rnt2.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
The RNT2 adjustable balls also come with a small tool to do the job. I love them!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I have RnT2 chopped ball and a brass chop cup that I bought when RnT was changing ownership. I still cand get the 'touch' light light enough for either of my 2 cups to make the drop look natural. (I also have a cup from Ambitious Card that I like because the die cup fits right in with my ganbling set.)
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Tony,

I don't think anyone has answered your question.

They all seem to like Rings and Things products though.

I have used the balls Brett Sherwood makes, for many years. The products I've gotten from him had really strong magnets in them. I can't imagine why your experience is so different. Perhaps I don't understand your question.

Are you putting a normal ball on top of a cup that is upside-down and has a ball inside, stuck to the top?

If putting a normal ball on top of that cup makes the interior ball dislodge the magnet attraction is way too light. I don't know which of Brett's two surfaces have the most magnetism, cup or ball. I do know that his products have worked well for me using his cups and his balls.

Donnie, of RNT2 makes a great product. I suspect getting both your cups and your balls from the same place will solve all your problems.

If I've misstated your problem, let us know.

To answer your question, no, I've never had the problem you're experiencing. Try putting the balls on top of the cup with a lighter touch.

Thanks,

KG
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I guess we're all practical problem-solvers at heart. So, here's another guess for you to consider.

I think you're saying that you have the trick ball in the bottom of the cup (cup mouth up). Part of your routine is to drop the straight ball into the cup also. But when you drop in the second ball, it's heavy enough to knock the first ball sideways, off of the gaff in the center of the cup. Then when you tip the cup, both roll out together.

I wonder if you might try balls with larger diameters. That way, the trick ball wouldn't get knocked so far to the side; it would remain in contact with the gaff. It might also work out that the second ball would actually sit more on top of the first.

Like I said... just another guess.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thanks guys. BeThePunk described the situation perfectly, better than I did.

Kent - I am using Sherwood Cups with Sherwood Balls. Maybe this particular move is not that typical. It is a move required in Dan Tong's Chop Cup Routine.

BeThePunk - I am using 1 & 1/8th inch balls, which I think is the largest regular size balls that RNTII makes & the only size that Sherwood makes.

I have some light 1 & 1/8th inch balls that I got at my local magic shop. They don't dislodge when I do the move, so I have resigned to using those balls for that routine and I will use my Sherwood Balls for other routines. I'm going to buy some RNTII balls as well soon and mess with them. I like the idea of the adjustible gaffed ball.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Paul Mims
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Paul Mims
Tony,
The adjustable balls from RnT are fantastic. Donnie has them in different sizes to fit any cup. They have a nice weight and a good feel to them. If that does not solve the problem, and you still want to use the heavier balls, you might try altering the handling of Mr. Tong's fine routine. Sometimes you can eliminate a phase, or substitute a move in order to adjust to the props. It takes a lot of trial and error, but that is part of the fun. Good luck!
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I wanted to update this thread. I have a new set of brass sherwood cups and I have done the same routine and same move with the sherwood balls and it works perfectly. So, the problem was the aluminum set of sherwood cups combined with his deluxe balls. He doesn't sell the aluminum cups anymore, so it isn't a big deal, but for some moves with these cups it is better to us a lighter set of balls.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chopped Ball Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL