The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Your 3 Favorite Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
What are you 3 favorite illusions and why? I don't mean anything like the usual ones that are listed like Portal, Copperfields Snow, or 'A levitation' etc, but ones that have maybe been around for years and you like to see a performer doing.

Mine are:-

1. Metamorphosis - simply because of the waw! factor and the speed that some performers can do it that makes it seem impossible.
2. Zig-zag - yes everyone has probably seen it being performed or on Tv, but it still gets the reaction and think Harbin changed the face of illusions with his invention, simply brilliant in my eyes and has probably gone on to be the basis of many other illusions.
3. Blaney Ladder Levitation - He took an illusion concept performed by many and changed it in a way that in my eyes can never be improved on.

Yes there are many others that I could probably put up there, but I would be happy to sit through a show with the above 3 being repeated all night, by different performers though.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
1. "Phantom Moth"

2. "Things That Go Bump In The Night"
beltan5
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of beltan5
I know this is cliche, but pretty much anything Copperfield performs. No matter how much he talks in his shows, when he does an illusion, he goes all out. His Origami is much better, in my opinion, than Henning's presentation. Interlude by him is great. His Elevator illusion is the most amazing entrance that I've ever seen. He puts together a dang good performance, The lighting, movement and music that he incorporates into the illusion make it what it is.

That said, the Shadow box illusion is my favorite generic illusion. Presented in the right way, it is just beautiful. De Kolta's chair vanish is pretty awesome. And Houdini's idea of walking through a brick wall (I've never seen it, but the descriptions sound amazing).

SO I guess I have to say that any illusion is my favorite depending on the presentation in which it is wrapped (music, lighting, blocking) (pretty girls in tight outfits do little for me so I've purposely left that element out Smile )
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
1. A really well done, simple (no complicated raised bases or around the body moves) AGA levitation - my favorite presentation is early Richiardi.

2. DeKolta chair. Again Richiardi's is amazing. Simple, powerful performance on a stage.

3. Things that go bump in the night. When I saw this on DH's first TV special and the tiger came out at the end - WOW!

Again all were simple, direct and every powerful.

Rick
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
lifeofwonder
View Profile
New user
Australia
54 Posts

Profile of lifeofwonder
1. DeKolta Chair
2. Suspended Animation
3. Any well performed Asrah
Alex R. Weinberg
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Alex R. Weinberg
I second Things That Go Bump In The Night, it always blows people away.
Orphie
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Orphie
Of all time? That's a tall order, but would agree with Metamorphosis and Zig Zag Box as classics. Origami is a self-contained wonder. But in my opinion no 'best of' illusion list is complete without mentioning Copperfield's "Flying."
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
The Asrah Levitation, as Lifeofwonder mentioned, if performed well is nothing short of astonishing. "Girl From the Light" I saw it ( I believe) performed by Doug Henning and was completely taken by the sheer beauty of it. The Zig Zag Girl partly because conceptually,the illusion is a work of genius.
Isaach
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Isaach
I really love Teller's Shadow. It feels like your watching a piece of art not some big spectacle made to grab attention.
Isaac Haber - Boston

youtube.com/irhaber
twitter.com/isaac_haber
instagram.com/isaac_haber

No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist.
—Oscar Wilde
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Your 3 Favorite Illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL