The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Weird Technological Glitch In Cell Phone Texting? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I would like to ask something of anyone here who is at all familiar with phones and texting technology. 

Am I the only one to have the text on my phone add in sentences I did not type? I know spell corrector changes minor things, but to have the other party receive a sentence or phrase I never typed... how is that possible??
I was texting my wife this morning, and she shot back with "What do you mean everything you say is taken backwards?"

I had no idea what she was talking about, so she copied and pasted my text and sent it back to me. Right in the middle of one of my sentences was the phrase "Everything I say is taken backwards."

I never typed that. I never typed anyhing close. Someone or someTHING was putting words in my mouth. And I find that deeply troubling!

Does anyone here know if this is possible from some weird technological glitch? A hacker? The phone company getting parts of my texts mixed in with somebody else's text?

This is like the second time this has happened to me. The first time was some other phrase or sentence which I now don't recall.

But when it occurs, it leaves you on the defensive, trying to prove to the other person that "Hey! I did not say or type that!"

("But it came through in your text to me!")
"Yeah, but I swear I didn't type that!"

"But that's what I received!"

And an otherwise great conversation is now riddled with strife!

I've got to find an explanation and figure out how to stop this crap before it wrecks a relationship!

Anybody else ever have this problem?

How can I eliminate it?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
magic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of magic
In my phone it used to complete (and insert) strange words in predictive text but nothing close to what you're saying.

Heres a great forum on techy stuff

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/

PS > Are you sure you haven't invented "self generating" message/text system ???
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Yes mine will sometimes try to fill in complete phrases, especially things that used before, based on a keyword. I'll start to type a word and all of the sudden an entire 3 or 4 word phrase pops up. If I just keep typing the auto filled phrase will go away.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
If it starts inserting "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", hide the axes.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hasn't got to that level, yet.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
From my own experience, you could spend years trying to figure this out. I went thru a similar thing just a few weeks ago, although it had nothing to do with texting or phones.

First, I suggest you get the full version of the instruction manual for your phone, which is probably only available on line. You'll probably have to do a search for it -- they don't make it easy to find, but it'll generally be huge.

Then, see if it has anything in the Settings section on autofill, or something similar. There's probably some function that you can turn on or off. That's what happened in my case recently, and it was all probably due to some idiot programmer who decided to think for his customers. I wasted almost an hour trying to solve it.

If that doesn't work, call or email their tech support people, and settle down to wait. Also, see if the company has some kind of a forum. It's all a huge waste of time, but that's the way it is nowadays.

As far as the strife (and I've gone thru this too), just say, "Look, we are both right. That's what came thru at your end, and that's not what I typed. I'm trying to find out what happened. Let's have a drink and write it off to idiot technology."
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I really appreciate all the advice, fellas. The whole thing has blown my mind. My initial thoughts were that another customer's texts got intercepted and mixed in with whatever texts I was sending.

Then I thought some hacker was messing with me, playing some sick little joke. But I thought "Can someone really hack into your text messages?? It just didn't make sense. But my brain was grasping at straws, desperate to explain the phenomenon.

As I said, it puts you in a bind, on the defensive telling the other party "I didn't type that!!" And of course they're thinking "If you didn't type it, why did I get it??"

And the worst part is the thought that you are at the mercy of something that can put any words in your mouth that it pleases. In other words, what's to prevent it from saying something really nasty or incendiary?
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
There's a site called "D--- You Autocorrect!" which has numerous examples of just this sort of thing. Some are vastly amusing (and NSFW.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I think it's part of an NSA program. Kind of like cops planting drugs in your car.

Just remember to read what you've texted before hitting the send button.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 12:15, EsnRedshirt wrote:
There's a site called "D--- You Autocorrect!" which has numerous examples of just this sort of thing. Some are vastly amusing (and NSFW.)

When I first got my Droid, it changed my last name from "Oakes" to "Palestinian" in my text messages.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What is NSA?

When she told me, I went back and checked my texts, what I was sending was precisely what I had typed, But what she received at her end was the altered text. So checking what I sent was of no help.

So now I'm even more confused than ever..
sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
This is quite a common problem on many phones and networks. It sounds like that your message is getting morphed with an older text you may have sent, could even have been sent months ago that you have forgotten about, even if it has been deleted off your phone. Try deleting the cache of your text app on your phone.

You should also check that your phones clock is correct, and the receiving phones clock is correct too, as if they're not it can confuse the network towers, especially if the network tower clock is out of sync. Even worse if your on one network and the receiving phone is on another.

Texting or SMS is old technology and limited these days, as once your message is over 160 characters it gets split up into separate messages and the receiving phone might not get the messages in order.

Most people these days are using things like What's App and Viber for their texting, do a google search on them. Different technology to normal texting, works the same as if your sending an email from your computer and no restrictions on the size of the messages.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I bet you are right! It was apparently mixed with an older text from God knows when. The question is why? There is no cache on this phone, however, as far as I know, or as far as I can see or find or access. It only stores texts back just so far, and after that, they disappear.

My clock is correct, though.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
This can lead to serious problems. My wife's dentist sent a text reminder of an appointment. The 8:15AM post became "9:15AM, 8:15AM Central" apparently because their home office is in Omaha instead of Knoxville,TN. They wanted to charge her $200 for a missed appointment and refuse to treat her aching tooth. Additionally, since my wife is visually impaired she had asked for a "phone call." When the gal at the desk said, "Texting is the same thing" I got involved -- ADA compliance amongst other things.

All is well (except for the de-evolution of our culture) They now have a form to check for notification that must be read out loud. Texting can only be done at the specific request of the patient with a disclaimer as to accuracy.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It's amazing how much chaos this glitch can create!!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Yup -- one of my construction workers/helpers says his wife and mistress are now talking with each other as a result of "weird messages." Seems they both like each other better than him. I gather the glitch added a phone number to a message to his wife.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Weird Technological Glitch In Cell Phone Texting? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL