The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Transfering tapes to dvd (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joeybaron
View Profile
Regular user
dallas,texas
101 Posts

Profile of joeybaron
Does anyone know how to transfer vhs tape to dvd that would be able to play on any dvd player? I would like to make compilation dvds for study while on the road.
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Yep, DVD-RW.
Now I disclaim when you say ANY. There is currently no consumer DVD recorder that produces a DVD playable on 100%

Decks that record DVD-RW play on approx 80-85% of decks in use.
Decks that record DVD+RW play on approx 70% of decks in circulation

Older decks have a problem with Either format. The newest decks usually play Both with no problem.

How do I know? I burn hundreds of such DVDs in both formats (use both type decks and media). When someone comes back to me with a promo DVD I made that they say would not play it has always been DVD+

There is another format called DVD RAM. It is a re-recordable media that will not play on home players. It's purpose is to store the video sort of like a hard drive to use later and will play on the recorder only.

for additional info try:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
joeybaron
View Profile
Regular user
dallas,texas
101 Posts

Profile of joeybaron
Thank you. After checking dvdrhelp, I am confused. can you suggest particular brands, models of dvd-rw.your expertise is greatly appreciated. Joey
magicguy22
View Profile
New user
Canada
32 Posts

Profile of magicguy22
A highly rated Analog to DV converter is the
Canopus ADVC-100 or ADVC-50
I have transfered my whole collection of VHS tapes to DVD with great success and no dropped frames and perfect Video-audio synchronization! (with the ADVC-50, when someone moves their mouth the audio is always in sync, a problem with some capture cards)

more info @ http://www.dvdrhelp.com
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
I purchased one from Sear Last year at Xmas. A Sansui.
It make great copies fron VHS TO DVD. It sold for $399. Sears still have it in stock here. (DVD-R)
Plays on every player so far.
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
If you have a dvd recorder on your dvd player you can record the video channel whilst the video is playing !!!

or you could link your vhs to a computer
Nathan J. Roberts
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Nathan J. Roberts
You might want to try casablanca.tv for a really easy system, or 123dc.com for a more professional system
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Try the new Pioneer DVD recorder 510H. It's awesome but super expensive.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There was a very good article in a recent issue of Mac World that gives you the nuts and bolts of transferring.

Apparantly, a lot of video cameras have a pass through setting that allows you to play a video through it and convert it into your computer in digital format.

I am sure that a lot of the information could be adapted to non mac stuff.

Even my commercially duplicated lecture dvd's are not guarenteed to play on all recorders. Such is life.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
bjiamin
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of bjiamin
If you want to transfer the tapes to a computer (then to a dvd?), try tv tuners.. I've the pinnacle pctv deluxe (usb2 tv tuner).. it does direct encoding to mpeg2 (dvd format)
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
OK! bjiamin. What are the PC requirements for your set up?
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
To convert VHS to computer file such as mpeg, you need :

1.Analog to Degital media converter, such as Sony's DVMC-DA2.
2.A good capture soft. I highly recommend InterVideo's WinDVD.

With above two, you can make mpeg file. If you further want to convert mpeg to DVD file, you need a good DVD editor such as Ulead DVD Movie Writer.

Then you need a DVD writing soft to burn DVD.

If your purpose is to make DVD, you need DVD recorder only.

BTW, DVD-R or DVD+R is better than DVD-RW or DVD+RW as they can be played most of the players and more inexpensive.

Hideo Kato
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Make sure its a (-)minus R

For all you will ever need to know on this subject visit afterdawn Smile a truly radical and cool site.

http://www.afterdawn.com

Use the tabs at the top of the page. Do look at the software section, and also the forums cover soooo much information.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Bball5630
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Bball5630
Easiest way to do it with a computer is using s device like DVD Xpress from ADS. These are only about fifty dollars, you need one unless your computer has a video in on it. Most VAIOs do, others do not. Simply plug the VCR in to it like you would the TV and hit play. Use the software that came with it to pull the video down. Alternative software is Ulead DVD studio and Adobe Premiere. But if all you're wanting to do is transfer then use the simplest. To put it on DVD, the simplest software is TMPengC DVD. You can get it online. It's extremely simple for a beginner. If you want more advanced go with Adobe Encore, it has more options, but you really don't need them unless you're going to want to make it a nice production with motion menus, easter eggs, etc.. It's extremely easy. One other things use DVD+R or DVD-R. Don't use RWs. These stand for Rewritable and are only if you want to change the data later and are not compatible in the same amount of DVD players.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Transfering tapes to dvd (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL