The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Boston and Okito (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Looking for any suggestions on how to switch out my Boston to offer the regular Okito minus lid for inspection. (one hand methods only please) My plan is to pass the Okito box one way and the Lid the other and ensure no one person has both pieces. Once returned I'd like to switch the box out for my Boston that has the "extra something" for some coin work. Both my Boston Box and Okito Box are from the same manufacturer and the lids are interchangable.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
I'm not sure if any are one handed methods but the david Roth Expert Coin Magic By Richard Kaufman does have some switches for the boxes. Hope that helps Smile
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
There is a version in the book KORT, in The Okorto Box Routine. There he documents his box switching technique, and its one handed.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
David Roth does something like this in his Ultimate Coin magic DVD set. He has the regular palmed and "pushes" the boston box through his hand, hence dropping the regular with the coins in it and switching the boxes. I don't do it justice by explaining it...you will have to check it out.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Sounds Interesting. Thanks for the ideas. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is there a reason a simple shuttle pass of the boston out to the regular box bottom does not work?

Was thinking: CP reg in RH. LH picks up boston+lid. RH picks off lid and gives to one spec, then shuttles boston for reg which is given to another.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
If you're sitting down...

Have Reg on table in front of you, approx. 6 inches from table edge, Boston is in finger palm...then the hand holding finger palmed Boston, sweeps the Reg box off into your lap and you show the Boston box briefly and begin the Boston routines...retrieve Reg box from your lap, during some off moments, switch out the same way...you have to do it on an off-beat...get eye contact while you're saying something, and they can examine the regular box all they want...it works using the slot box as well!

Hope this helps...

Doug
mikejorden
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of mikejorden
Have you looked at Dominique Duvivier's Coin Box.
With this box you have an okito, boston & sucker all in one - and "all" can be examined (including the boston)

I like mine so much I've had another custom made for eagle dollars.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Hasn't anyone looked at Tamariz's Double Crossing the Gaze switch? It's probably the BEST switch out there for ANYTHING. CLose uses it in his Frog Prince routine. I'm not sure where Juan has it originally published by my GOD he is a genius.
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Where can you get a Dominique Duvivier Coin Box?

All I can find on Google is a video of him performimg it.
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Cornelis
View Profile
New user
Paris
1 Post

Profile of Cornelis
Hello,
Try this :
on google, : mayette magie moderne.
When you are in the site, look at recherche and Tape : coin box.
I have this box, it's very good.
Have a lot of fun !!!
Happy new year to everybody !!!!
PS : I am french and my english is so bad, sorry...
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I'm actually very happy with the props I have. I'm merely looking for a sleight and not a change. Thanks anyway.

Doug, you've given me an inspiration but lapping is not an option. The Boston is loaded and so is the drop point. chink-a-chink.

Jontown, shuttle pass won't work for me as I'm palming 3 International coins while I need to do the switch. My effect is show the Okito and fill with American Halves, switch for Boston and show empty. Have Halves reappear (Boston Load) and then transform into Russian, Irish, and English coins using the "secret move." My patter is based on the "melting pot" that is America. It will show we are all races, colors creeds and nationalities but in the end we are all Americans. (On that point the return of the Loaded Okito is produced)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I have something that effects a switch of the box AS the spec puts the coins in. Can PM that. The Shuttle Pass of a box from LH fingerpalm to RH fingertips is okay when you have coins in RH classic palm thanks to the Malini subtlty (oft called Kaps).

I like the idea for the routine. good going! sounds like fun for the audience, and also magical.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I agree with you on the shuttle pass but my personal tolerances when palming more than one coin are very low, i.e. catch box=drop all coins but one. I can palm a single coin in my sleep. More than one is stil very awkward and rigid for me. I would appreciate the PM
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Just a dumb question here before sending a PM...

how are you at doing the classic palm to classic palm change (dice move) with coins? or with coin boxes in particular? It is a handy move. Other moves include the Slydini-Roth thing where you come over the item and contact it with the heel of your hand on the way back and let the other drop from CP as you continue backwards. It can look like nothing happens when done with similar or identical objects.... or like a magical change when done with disimilar objecs.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Thanks for the PM. It fits the bill perfectly with a "why didn't I think of that?" kick. Now to Practice Practice Practice. It will be a bit of a challenge but I think I can manage it. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Boston and Okito (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL