The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » The New York Magic Table Meeting Place? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Honolulu, Hawaii
262 Posts

Profile of BWind
Can anyone tell me if the meetings are still held in the Edison Hotel's Café? I saw an ad insert in a old MUM and was wondering, thanks!
BWind
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
Yes. The meetings are held every Friday at lunchtime.
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
This tradition has been going on for a long time and has been kept alive since the passing of Mike Bornstein by SAM Member Tom Klem who is the Host of the table. The table has regulars such as Jerry Oppenheimer as well as folks who just show up from other states and countries who are all made to feel welcome.

It is a wonderful tradition that continues right in the heart of the theater district in Times Square.

The Café Edison which is the restaurant in which the Magic Table has been meeting since the 1980's is in danger of being closed at the end of December 2015.

The building owners have announced that they will not renew the restaurant's lease.

This restaurant is a rarity in New York in that you can get a decent meal for a fair price. The cheeseburger deluxe which comes with fries, cole slaw, a pickle spear, lettuce and tomato costs about $8.50. Good luck finding that for such a price in a sit down restaurant with a nice clean bathroom in the city.

The entertainment community, New York City residents and the Magic Community are spearheading a campaign to save the Café Edison. New York City politicians are also getting involved.

If you want to read more about the table, go to the Placematters website to read about its rich history.

Also, if you care to sign a petition to save the Café Edison and the Magic Table, please feel free to go to Change.Org and sign the petition.

The owners of the Café have always been very kind to the Magic Community by reserving a table for us even when the Café has been full to capacity and they have never tried to rush us along in order to give the table to other waiting patrons.

Please sign the petition to help keep the Café open and to keep the Magic Table right where it has been for years and where it should stay.

Thank you.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I was in the city this past weekend and stayed next door at The W....walked through the lobby and saw the signs "Please save the Edison Café'". I really had no idea.
HerbS
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of HerbS
Now that the Café Edison has closed The Magic Table has relocated--at least for the time being--to the Evergreen Restaurant down the street at 145 East 47th Street (between Sixth and Seventh Avenues). So far folks have met up at around 1 p.m., but this could change to avoid the busiest part of the lunch hour. I'll try to remember to update this thread if there are any changes, but the latest information will definitely be posted at the Magic in New York blog (where you can also find other new about the New York City magic scene).

http://www.herbsmagic.com/magic-in-new-york-blog
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
178 Posts

Profile of TheRealMagicMike
The meeting is now being held at the Times Square Diner on Friday's... same time, about 1pm. I'm looking forward to attending this week.
Orzxd6ee
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of Orzxd6ee
Hi, I am an amateur magician who comes to New York for study. Is the meeting still being held?
I want to make some magician friends here Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » The New York Magic Table Meeting Place? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL