The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Color Changing Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
What do you do with this besides;

"Look a white rope! **BAM!** Look a red rope!"

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What else is necessary. It is a great trick. Fast and effective. I suggest you try it on some audiences. The re-action is worth the $5.

It is the same effect as the color changing silk,except it is instant with no cover. What more can a MAGICIAN want from a trick.

By the way these are now collectors items, sort of. Zanadu owner passed away early last year. So no more will be availble.

You could be the only one in your local area doing this "flash" trick.

Now for a tip, use this rope for the "Chinese Bottle" trick. The one that the rope hang from the neck of the bottle then, the bottle hangs suspended from the rope.
Do the color change before or after the bottle thing.

Bill Smile
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Thanks for the reply Bill! I thought that I was the only one still using this. I have performed it in the down and dirty method for as long as I have owned it, but occasionally you start to think that there may be some other way to go.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I hope you mean you do the visible cane. Just hold it between the hands. Drop your hands a few inches as the effect happens. I am trying to say you do not cover or stroke the rope in any way.

I sold a ton of these when they first came out. I worked at a magic shop and it was an instant sale. Real magic for sale.

Bill Smile
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
By "down and dirty" I meant the visible change, no cover! To quote Emril, "BAAM!"

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Using your favourite fold of a diamond cut silk, palm it in the hand at the top of the rope...after having changed the white rope into the red one or vice versa depending on your colour.

Release the silk which will now cover the rope as it falls down in front of your rope, so in effect going from a white rope, to a red rope, to a silk of the same colour. Now you can go into the first phase of a silk routine.

The possibilities are endless. I have several of these but, use them sparingly. Best of luck mate!

rr
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
686 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
I have a color changing rope, where after it has changed color, you run your hand over it and it turns into a silk. I don't use it much though, cause to change it to silk requires quite a bit of physical effort due to the way it is constructed, but it's still a good trick.

When I have used it, I presented it as the beginning of one rope trick (e.g. a cut and restore) and then when the rope changed color, I declared that this color of rope is endangered and I have to use the more common white variety if I am going to cut it.
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Waaaay back a long time ago in the last millennium, I scored a white-to-black color changing rope (which I now find, to my horror, they NO LONGER MAKE).

I lucked out in that my RenFaire career started as a sailor-type character known as a member of the "SeaDogs" and thus I could skeeve a good two minutes of material off how what I use on stage is called 'white rope' (even though it's a sort of off-dirt color by the end of the day). Sailors would *tar* their rope to make it more durable, making the color change when I said *tar*.

I let the sentence kinda dangle for a moment while everyone notices the color change, and follow that with, "Oh... he's a *magician*!"

Tobias!
...we thought he was just some loud fat guy in a silly hat!

P.S. Anyone out there have any old-style white-to-black ropes? Mine's gettin' old...
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Is the color changing rope released by empire magic same as zanadu's?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 17:08, limhanchung wrote:
Is the color changing rope released by empire magic same as zanadu's?

Yes, Zanadu is out of business because he went to the magic show in the sky. Empire or Loftus is now producing the trick.
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Is it possible to dye the ropes with different colours?
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Okay, I remember this trick working great years ago, but I just ordered a bunch for my shop from loftus, after I read these posts, because I was thinking, "Oh yeah, I forgot all about that one, its great." The junk they sent is either no where near what it used to be, or, I am remembering incorrectly becuase it was a long time ago when I had one last, or, I am doing the trick wrong.

The red part hardly pops down over the white like it is intended to. And when it does work it does not go far enough. The instructions call for using both hands, but that is not what I want to do. Am I missing something? Or are they just cutting cost corners in manufacturing and ruining the trick in the process? Please let me know.

Stuart
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Hmm no reply, anyone have a thought on this one?
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Color Changing Rope (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL