The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/......ulation/

If you want a little thrill of recognition, scroll down a bit to the slide entitled "Gambits for Deception." Anyone who doesn't recognize this in one form or another probably shouldn't be on the Magic Café.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
And GCHQ didn't want to discuss it? The mind boggles, it truly does. Imagine professional spies not wanting to discuss their methods with idiotic journalists. Amazing. Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
My focus here was on the slide labeled "Gambits for Deception." I thought it amusing that the info contained within was labeled "Top Secret."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On , tomsk192 wrote:
And GCHQ didn't want to discuss it? The mind boggles, it truly does. Imagine professional spies not wanting to discuss their methods with idiotic journalists. Amazing. Smile

Please let's call things what they are. This isn't about spying. Spying conjures up romantic images of suave double-0s in Aston-Martins, drinking martinis, targeting some would-be Criminal Mastermind. What we're talking about here is not spying, but Massive Orwellian Surveillance of the whole populace, regardless of guilt, targeting no criminal mastermind, but everyone, including me (and yes, tomsk192, even you, though I know you don't mind as you have nothing to hide.
But then, if you have nothing to hide, pray, why are they surveilling you?).
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
They aren't, landmark.

But if they were then I couldn't care less. My life writ large in a bizarre and unnecessary surveillance operation? They would die of boredom. Surely and slowly they would perish under the weight of my inane internet behaviour.

Most security services are undermanned [in their view], and over seen [which is annoying]. Maybe for you the word 'spy' conjures up James Bond or similar, but to me it indicates a data analyst. What do you think they do all day? (To cite Richard Scary)

Relax.

But if you are planning anything remotely violent, then don't relax.

Of course they make cock ups. Who doesn't? But they are not easily subverted from their main task, which is to gather information.

Here's a tip. If you want to keep something a secret, don't write it down. And don't tell people about it. And don't put it on the internet. Only a total moron would do that.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
And don't email. And don't cell phone. And don't use a land line. And don't use snail mail. And don't use a credit card. And don't use a bank. And don't walk down the street. And don't join any political group that is vaguely leftist. And don't go out to a protest. And don't become a practicing Muslim. And don't go to a doctor. And don't use a GPS. And don't use a rail card. And don't use a library card. Don't even think of using encryption. If you think you are not being surveilled you are sadly mistaken. Almost every day of your life can be reconstructed. It's a matter of record now.

And if it's fine with you, please send me your bank pin number, your med records, your therapist's notes, your business decrypted correspondance and your credit card numbers post-haste. I promise, just like the over 845,000 private contractors who have US Top Secret clearance, to keep it a secret.

The NSA has just spent 1.5 billion dollars for a new data storage facility that will have a storage capacity in the magnitude of yottabytes--that is 100,000,000,000 gigabytes. It will all be safe there. (Mark Liberman calculated the storage requirements for all human speech ever spoken at 42 zettabytes if digitized as 16 kHz 16-bit audio. A Yottabyte is 1000 zettabytes).

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03......ter/all/
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On , tomsk192 wrote:

Most security services are undermanned [in their view], and over seen [which is annoying]. Maybe for you the word 'spy' conjures up James Bond or similar, but to me it indicates a data analyst.

I agree. Rent or stream Three Days of the Condor with Redford. It's about data analysts and a great movie.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Of course it's about data. That's the whole point. What do you think surveillance is?

The most important thing we have learned from Snowden that is new is this: that not only are they collecting everything all the time, but unlike previously, they can find a needle in a haystack. The technology to do that is here now, being used now. It's worth reading the Wired article above if you haven't.

I know tomsk192 has already stated that he's not really that interested in the principles of the US Constitution, but for those who are not Monarchists, and who have some vague, if fading, memory of 1776, it might help to recall the story of James Otis and why there is a Fourth Amendment in the first place. Precisely because of the British practice of indiscriminate sweeping up of information, entering a man's home at will, in order to fight the Terroristsâ„¢of the day--smugglers--the Fourth Amendment was deemed necessary.

A little bit of background here: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/resourc......endment/
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Oh please, if you think I am a 'Monarchist' then I have obviously been unclear, for which I apologise unreservedly.

The resources of security services are finite, both financially and in terms of man power. Whatever is technologically possible is still bound by resources in terms of operation. Therefore, you, landmark, unless you are doing something illegal, are unlikely to be followed in cyberspace. If you are doing something illegal then watch your back in cyberspace. It is very simple.

Even having said that, they are so under-resourced that you can probably get away with doing illegal things and discussing them online, as long as you are careful about your coding, metaphorically or literally, and that you are not planning on violence.

It is entirely true that security services use surveillance on reputable activists, which practice I dislike. There is a good reason for it, however, so I do not disavow it.

Best wishes.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Oh please, if you think I am a 'Monarchist' then I have obviously been unclear, for which I apologise unreservedly.

I assume you don't call yourself that. I just thought I'd needle you a bit on your position, which only serves authoritarian ends. Smile

Quote:
The resources of security services are finite, both financially and in terms of man power. Whatever is technologically possible is still bound by resources in terms of operation. Therefore, you, landmark, unless you are doing something illegal, are unlikely to be followed in cyberspace. If you are doing something illegal then watch your back in cyberspace. It is very simple.

What's very simple is that you're wrong. Simply flat wrong. And I really can't understand how an intelligent person like yourself has missed it. The NSA does not deny it--all of the above info is being collected in real time and it can all be accessed in real time, now, with the current person power. And you certainly don't have to be doing anything illegal to be "followed." This is all a matter of public record now, thank you Edward Snowden.

Quote:
Even having said that, they are so under-resourced that you can probably get away with doing illegal things and discussing them online, as long as you are careful about your coding, metaphorically or literally, and that you are not planning on violence.

One can get away with many things illegal online. For example, violating the Fourth Amendment.

Quote:
It is entirely true that security services use surveillance on reputable activists, which practice I dislike. There is a good reason for it, however, so I do not disavow it.

Hmm, so now you disavow the claims in your first paragraph? As for there being "good reason" for surveilling people who are not criminals, that is where the Monarchist charge comes in. You see we here in the States have decided that the concept of "guilty until proven innocent" is Unamerican. Frankly, it is French.

Quote:
Best wishes.

God Bless the Queen,
(Me mum's British, so I'm allowed to say that.)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:
There is a good reason for it, however, so I do not disavow it.

Hmm, so now you disavow the claims in your first paragraph?

Now now! A statement doesn't imply that its inverse is false.

Unless you take a sign that says "Employees should wash their hands after using the restroom" to mean that non-employees shouldn't wash their hands...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
unless you are doing something illegal, are unlikely to be followed in cyberspace.

Quote:
It is entirely true that security services use surveillance on reputable activists,

These are contradictory statements unless you assume that all respectable activists are doing something illegal.

But in other surveillance news
"— A British intelligence agency collected video webcam images — many of them sexually explicit — from millions of Yahoo users, regardless of whether they were suspected of illegal activity, according to accounts of documents leaked by Edward J. Snowden."

More here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/techno......chnology

Nope, no surveillance of millions of people who have done absolutely nothing wrong. Nothing to see here. Move along. To where we can see you better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL