The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Other rabbit breeds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicgraham
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa Arizona
138 Posts

Profile of magicgraham
Hi All

Everyone I speak to says always get a Netherland Dwarf rabbit but they are scarce here in Arizona are there any other breed recomendations

Thanks
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have only have experience with Netherland Dwarfs & Lionheads, but many magicians use the Hotot. I think they are somewhat larger than a Netherland. They are very pretty and have the black outline around their eyes. I almost bought one once but it had a very wild nature so I passed. I have since been told that they are not all prone to be wild like that. I may try to get one someday.

If you like the lop-eared bunnies there is the Holland Lop. There is a dwarf breed of those.

I believe there is also one called the Mini-Rex that you might also consider. They look more like a traditional rabbit, with upright ears that are longer than the Netherland's ears. They have thick, velvet-like fur.

I only had one Lionhead so I don't want to say too much about them. Mine was a doe, and wildish. She was very, very beautiful, but too jittery and jumpy. I have heard that they are not all like that. I have not had good luck with does, and I wanted a Lionhead buck but had to settle for the doe to get one in the color I wanted.

I will give a big recommendation to the Netherland Dwarfs! I love them, and have had really good luck with them. They are not easy to find in my area either. In fact, after going through about 4 breeders I finally found a good one. The problem is he is about 150 miles from me. I have to travel through 2 other states besides the one I live in and back again just to get to him. Sometimes you can find a breeder that travels to shows closer to you. I used to set up meetings like that with my breeder but now his show locations have changed so it doesn't work any more.

Take what I say about the Hotot, Holland Lop, & Minirex...and maybe the Lionhead with a grain of salt. I have not researched these other breeds in quite a few years and I am going off my memory alone.....which sometimes is poor at best! Smile
Mister Mystery
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=13&7
Here's an old thread that has a few suggestions that I assume are still valid. I have Dwarf Netherlands also, so I can't speak from experience about any other breeds.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I also have a Netherland dwarf, picked up from a breeder in NY who was traveling to VT where I met her. You may have to travel to find one, but it may be worth it. I've had my rabbit for about 6 years and has been a great pet as well as a real performer!

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
I personaly have had good luck with Min-Rex, the trick with all bunnys is that they need to be handled offen.
Find a breeder that handles the kits daily so that they use to being handled and tame.

I also have had good luck with the Flemish Giant,

I use a white with pink eyes Flemish Giant and matching Mini Rex and use a cut down blammo box.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2014, btedeski wrote:
...the trick with all bunnys is that they need to be handled offen.

That is great advice and I totally agree. Another thing to remember is, bunnies like to chew! It is essential for their teeth. They also like to scratch and dig. I have found that they are more prone to chewing and scratching things in the magic boxes when they are young. Watch them closely as you are training them. I have had some things damaged and even ruined by young rabbits. Mine stop pretty much this behavior when they get a little older. I always try to bring a new bunny along slowly and let them just be an emergency backup to to main bunny for a year or longer if I can. So I start looking for an understudy bunny long before my main bunny is ready for retirement.
Mister Mystery
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I heard of a magician out west from years ago who trapped a wild jackrabbit and tried to use it in his act. The story goes that he got it loaded into a prop, but when he did the production it got away from him and destroyed a lot of his show. That's probably not a good idea.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
That is kind of funny, but I'll bet it wasn't to that poor magician! I would liked to have seen the audience's reactions.
Mister Mystery
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Over the years I've owned Netherland, Dutch,Polish and the present one name (Lady Gaga) she is a Hotot. As Regan pointed out in another post that each rabbit has a different personality and can be trained to do all sorts of things to entertain your audiance.
Before you buy a bunny, go up to the cage or barn and buy the one that runs up to you, it tell you that the bunny is friendly and not shy at all. Do not put the bunny in the show till you get it used to noise, especially children screaminmg. Every morning put the bunny in the hat and set the hat in front of the TV and turn on the children programs, leave the bunny there for a couple hours.
What entertains the audiance more than the production is what the bunny does while sitting on the table.
Tricky Ricky
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2014, TrickyRicky wrote:
Over the years I've owned Netherland, Dutch,Polish and the present one name (Lady Gaga) she is a Hotot. As Regan pointed out in another post that each rabbit has a different personality and can be trained to do all sorts of things to entertain your audiance.
Before you buy a bunny, go up to the cage or barn and buy the one that runs up to you, it tell you that the bunny is friendly and not shy at all. Do not put the bunny in the show till you get it used to noise, especially children screaminmg. Every morning put the bunny in the hat and set the hat in front of the TV and turn on the children programs, leave the bunny there for a couple hours.
What entertains the audiance more than the production is what the bunny does while sitting on the table.
Tricky Ricky

Ricky, that is a great idea with the tv! I do the same thing with a new, acoustic guitar. I play music ans set the guitar close by the speaker to 'break in' the guitar quicker. The vibrations loosen up the top and the guitar sounds better as it becomes less stiff. Who knew you could train bunnies and guitars the same way???!!! Smile
Mister Mystery
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I have 3 does, a Holland Lop, a Netherland Dwarf, and a Lionhead. All 3 were gotten from breeders as soon as I could take them from their mothers. I held all three as much as possible after getting them. I needed to get both my Netherland and my Lionhead spayed, because they both got jumpy and wanting to bite. Within about 2-3 weeks they were back to being good girls. My Holland has always been sweet.
If your wife becomes moody, you might want to consider getting her spayed. Heck, it worked for my rabbits.
Oh, don't forget, you are suppose to have a USDA license to have a rabbit in your magic show.
magicgraham
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa Arizona
138 Posts

Profile of magicgraham
We ended up getting a male netherland dwarf we have had him a couple months now he is 3 months old and he has such fun personality thanks for all the advice
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Other rabbit breeds (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL