The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Torn and restored poster (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Hello everyone. Wondering if there is any literature or anything on the market for a poster tear? Interested in showing a giant poster of myself tearing it up and restoring it again.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'd check NewsFlash 2.0

Axel has an effect that uses a poster but it is not torn.

Tearing a poster every time could be expensive.

You might consider doing it along the lines of a no tear paper tear, where you use the same pre-torn pieces every time.

Still, I believe you probably could tear one if you wanted.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Fifty plus years ago George McAthy had a "diploma" from Doc Cowbell's Magic School. It was pretty much a standard T&R, but the patter sold it. George used it to open his club act. It was for sale. I think by Tommy Windsor.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Awesome. Thanks guys. Not worried about the cost of tearing a poster. I have news flash. Might be able to modify it. Will look into Mcathy effect.

Jason
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I could recommend a few "posters" I would like to see torn and not restored Smile
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Using Gene Anderson's version, it would be real easy to do a torn and restored poster.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Neil Foster's "Center Tear" from Abbott's might work with the poster format.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Gene's T&R newspaper is designed for tearing up an entire paper, not just one sheet.

Neil's Center Tear is designed to tear a small piece from the center of a folded sheet, NOT the enrire sheet.
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
With a little creative thinking Gene's torn and restored gimmick can be used, very easy. Too bad you can't visualize it...Dick.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was never asked to visualize it! I simply commented on the fact that Gene's effect is/was DESIGNED for tearing up a number of pages of a newspaper, NOT a single sheet. It may well be possible to adapt the gimmick to a variation of the basic effect.

I suppose that with a little 'creative thinking', one might use a devil's napkin to vanish an elephant! Or,with the same 'creative thinking', one could use a Zombi gimmick to levitate an elephant.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I thought this was a new effect using someone who posts on the Café. I suspect there would be a few people who would have been keen to suggest some possible beta testing candidates for this effect. Smile
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Sealegs! I'm the third poster above. I mentioned George McAthy's T&R "diploma" from "Doc Cowbell's School". It was a basic T&R like FRESH FISH SOLD HERE TODAY, or the LAUNDRY TICKET. It worked, and the SIMPLE principle would work for a T&R poster (A BIT MORE DIFFICULT IF IT WAS A "ONE SHEET" (28" X 42"), BUT, I DON'T KNOW OF ANY MAGICIAN USING LITHOS THAT BIG TODAY!

The OP said "giant poster", but didn't specify size. I think that if he has any experience at all, he should know how to tear up and restore a laundry ticket.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick Oslund, I believe Tree was referring to using the most basic Torn and Restored Newspaper trick. I think Abbott's sold Vin Carey's Paper Tearing Act, may still be available. Included was a one sheet of newspaper with a piece of tin glued to it. Anderson eliminated the tin.

Included Ships Wheel and Girls (aka Paper Dolls), Skeletons, and T&R Newspaper.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Bill! I honestly don't think that Gene's T&R method (which depends on "hiding the elephand in a herd of elephants" would make much sense for tearing and restoring a SINGLE sheet of paper. Yes! Gene is an expert at simplifying methods!!!

I honestly don't remember the DETAILS oF Vin Carey's method, so, if you say it would work, I "aint gonna" argue the point!

George McAthy (and his "partner in crime"!)Tommy Windsor, were both friends. I remember their putting out the "Doc Cowbell's Diploma" in the '40s. I never bought it as a teen, but, years later when I bought an estate, there were samples of the prop and instructions. It was a "patter" bit--and clever, but the method of tearing and restoring was very basic.

That's why I mentioned it at the top end of this thread. McAthy's bit used a piece of paper about 11' x 14".

I got a kick out of Mr. Trees saying that I couldn't visualize Gene's T&R being used. I remember Gene's working on his method. Jay Marshall and I demonstrated it at the Little Rock Convention ('70s)We sold a gezillioln of the booklets. My good friend Doug Henning featured the trick in THE MAGIC SHOW on Broadway! The only reason that I never used it in the school show, is/was, the set up time. --and the fact that it's essentially a "180" degree trick! (Jeff Wawrzaszek learned THAT very quickly!)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick, I was actually agreeing with the both of you. The basic paper tear is as you say the laundry ticket, without the 'tuck'. Instead of the tuck, just attache Gene Anderson wire idea, instead of a heavy piece of tin.

The flash opening is the best part of the Anderson tear, but believe it would not work with a poster if it is on poster paper stock. Just to stiff.

So take a little from here, and a little from there, and there you go for the poster idea.

When is that book going to be available? Who is doing the art work?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Although I use Gene Anderson's Torn and Restored Newspaper all of the time in my shows, what actually popped into mind for a method was Danny Archer's Birthday Banner Trick. He shows a number of seperate birthday cards, and they change in a flash into a large paper banner (poster) made up of the cards.

Here's a youtube video of it being performed.

The same method could be applied to a poster... you'd just tear up the full sheet poster (instead of starting with many pieces) before restoring it... you might want to fold the first poster beforehand, and then open it back up, so that it tears where you want it to (along the creases). If you had the Danny Archer prop, it would help you to understand about how to fold the restoration poster, so it opens in a flash.

I would guess that the Birthday Banner trick works a lot like the No Tear Paper Tear, which Mary mentioned above. I have the Birthday Banner trick, but I haven't actually handled a No Tear Paper Tear, so can't compare the two.

- Donald

P.S. If you wanted a different poster trick, other than a torn and restored poster, you can also use Dazzling Magic's Professional Magic Painting with a poster, to magically change a poster from black and white to full colour. This video by Brad Ross shows how he uses it.

Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Donald! If you had posted at the top of this thread, it would have been the end of the thread!

I LIKE Archer's "Blendo" (!) with the greeting cards!

And, Ross's poster bit is a nice use of the principle,too!

TWO VERY COMMERCIAL ITEMS!!!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I've made my Birthday Banner trick to work with m*g***s.

You might make a mix of the two.

By the way, if you try this with the Birthday Banner you will want to scuff up the back side of the slick cards a bit or use Magic tape to make the cards less slick (so they won't squirt out from between the M*g***s as you open out).

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Torn and restored poster (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL