The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Reviving the Passenger Pigeon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's a long read, but this article talks about the inevitable de-extinction of the Passenger Pigeon (gone since 1914) and possibly wooly mammoth through genetic engineering.

Good idea or no? While obviously a very cool thing, I think it would be a very bad thing. Thoughts?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I'm more curious on why you think it would be a very bad thing. (The passenger pigeon, not the wooly mammoth so much.)
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Very bad.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
According to the article, within a short time, the pigeons could number in the billions.
It would force out other birds from its ecological niche.
From there, there would be a cascading effect, likely resulting in the unforeseen extinction of many other species.
That is what I feel is the most important danger.
The article quotes someone as thinking it a bad idea because it encourages the idea that we can genetically engineer our way out of environmental disaster. That too, though that is more of a conceptual thing. But introducing a very successful species into an ecosystem is, to my mind, the larger, more immediate problem.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Heck we could hunt them extinction again and again. This would be great. Why should our great grandparents have had all the fun. And pie. Let's eat some pigeon pie!

Ok in all seriousness, ecological disruption is possible but not guaranteed. The biomes are different today than in the previous centuries; there's no guarantee that the population could become stable, let along large. Compare the bison. There is no risk of million-strong herds reforming in my lifetime.

The risk is clearly non-zero, but who knows how big it is? Or on what time frame.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Even with no risk- very bad.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Jurassic Pigeons in the Park!

But if you could engineer them big enough so they could actually carry passengers it might me a good fuel saving idea.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
That's what I'm talkin' about!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I want dinosaurs!

Or at least that wooly mammoth... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I love the sunflower seeds tied to the top of the car. Hahahaha!!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Personally, I don't think it would be a very bad thing.

Although, I can see how reintroducing some species could turn out as bad as when non-indigenous species get introduced to new places and they have no predators and they end up crowding out other species. That's usually bad, unless it's us of course.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Pigeon racing is still quite a big sport here in England and they have started using RFID tags today instead of old numbered rings. I have friend who has been in the game all his life. I did not get into it but I know a little about it from growing up with him. A lot kept Pigeons when we were kids but I don't know any now personally, apart from pal who moved to Wales. I have read the article yet but they kept in Pigeon Pens as opposed to the wild. I mean, I can not see that harming other birds.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Reviving the Passenger Pigeon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL