The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is Afghanistan really impossible to conquer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It just seems to prove Hegel's old adage that the only thing you learn from history is that sadly no one ever learns anything from history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26483320
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
That was a great article.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
From what I've read about Afghanistan, it's all about tribal life there and it's been that way for thousands of years. I'm betting most of the populace doesn't even comprehend the idea of a central government in charge of everything. I could be wrong, but I don't think the place will ever change, and I'm not sure it wants to. Just my two cents.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
You are not wrong, Bob.

Good article by Mr Dalrymple, thank you Tommy. The retreat from Kabul was fairly horrific, and sent real shock waves throughout the British Empire. The ignominy was such, that a second Afghan was fought only years later, which again resulted in us slinking away with our tails between our legs, albeit without similar slaughter.

The terrain is particularly problematic. You have to get in, and you have to get out. Supplies are a nightmare, logistically. During the Raj, it was strategically important, and the British were always worried that the Russians would appear in force via the Khyber Pass, and take over our repugnant colonial usury in the sub-continent.

(Incidentally, and this pertains to the hilarity of the Snowden thread, the espionage surrounding this issue - Russia + Britain + India + Afghanistan - was referred to as "the great game" and is historically significant as it led to, erm, all sorts of interesting stuff in terms of spying. Kipling's 'Kim' was inspired by it, incidentally.)

For those who like their history served up with a dollop of sex and a dash of derring do, see the original Flashman novel, by the late lamented George MacDonald Fraser. The footnotes alone are worth the purchase price, and can be perused at leisure after the novel itself, which is excellent, if you like that sort of thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is Afghanistan really impossible to conquer? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL