The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Shin Lim on Murphy's Tuesday night hangout TONIGHT (March 11th, 2014) 5pm pacific (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
How do you tactfully ask another person if they have stolen someone elses ideas and passed them off as their own?

The comments section of that hangout was laughable. People desperate to see a car crsh and annoyed when the people in the cars decided not to hit each other.

I feel for Alan in the situation, however all that exists at this point in time is evidence free talk, and not particularly plesant talk either. I'm sure when the situation is resolved by the parties involved the real truth will come to light.

I'm still astonished that it seems so hard to prove one way or another, I'd have thought the production company of Dynamos show would have had everything wrapped up tight, making it impossible for someone to rip them off and not be held accountable.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Yeah, it's easy to go after and get results from someone blatantly ripping you off. Ask Teller, or Jeff McBride, or anyone that's been ripped off.

Here's a YouTube video of a magician publicly calling out for help and notifying magicians that they are being ripped off on his country's national talent act show broadcast on TV.

http://youtu.be/hPPtvhPYe5k

It says comments are not currently available. I'm not sure if they have been removed or it's a temporary problem. There was a link which showed the act being performed side by side with the original acts.

And then there's the issue Teller is having with a Belgium rip-off artist not only performing his routine, but actually selling it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq......y-424577
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Never said it was easy.

But yes, I see your points.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Here's the link to the video which shows the rip-off act and the original acts side by side

http://www.isocdn.com/SMV.mp4
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
The worst case of rip off was the guy who completely stole the entire performance of Piff The Magic Dragon (John van der Put):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNbjlJFDM00

that's just beyond horrible.

With that said, this is getting off topic imo. its one thing to accuse someone of stealing an idea or concept for a trick, its another to blatantly steal an entire performance and stage act.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
You know what? I'm surprised that everyone attacks Shin and I haven't seen a single magician or magic shop owner complain about Rob Stiff or Magic Makers totally ripping off every creator in magic. You can't walk into a magic shop nowadays without seeing an entire line of MM products! Which, to me, is a double-edged sword because the knockoff is a cheaper buy then the original yet the original artist isn't paid. I know that the shop owner has to be able to make a profit but who is really getting screwed here? I'm curious to know which magic shop owners totally support the original creators and will ONLY carry the original version as compared to the MM version.
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2014, eatonmagic wrote:
I'm curious to know which magic shop owners totally support the original creators and will ONLY carry the original version as compared to the MM version.

Raises hand!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No one, as MM claims the dealers can make an 80% profit margin. Money talks, and greed is a powerful trait. When it actually just creates pricing wars among dealers.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
I haven't seen a single magician or magic shop owner complain about Rob Stiff or Magic Makers totally ripping off every creator in magic.

Then you don't know how to use Google. Allow me: Click Here.
Official Thread Killer
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2014, Stucky wrote:
Quote:
I haven't seen a single magician or magic shop owner complain about Rob Stiff or Magic Makers totally ripping off every creator in magic.

Then you don't know how to use Google. Allow me: Click Here.

Point taken. I should've clarified. I haven't seen it on the Café. In fact, I haven't taken the time to search the Café either lol.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
No one, as MM claims the dealers can make an 80% profit margin. Money talks, and greed is a powerful trait. When it actually just creates pricing wars among dealers.

I don't totally disagree with this statement but to be fair, I don't think "greed" is really the right word here, or at least perhaps painting with too broad a brush.
I have known magic shop owners and in many cases (not all) its not about being greedy but just a matter of trying to keep their business afloat and feeding their families (especially in this day and age.)

Don't want to defend all the owners or start a debate over right and wrong but I can sometimes see their point of view in certain instances.
Ultimately I suppose its the consumers that need to speak with their wallets. If no one bought them they wouldn't sell them.
But unfortunately it is all too often a difficult situation when creativity meets capitalism.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Murphy's is not a magic shop. It's a company. No one starts a company for love. They start it for money. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.
Official Thread Killer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Shin Lim on Murphy's Tuesday night hangout TONIGHT (March 11th, 2014) 5pm pacific (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL