The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » For those of you that use other arts with your magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Do you ever here this from a consumer?

We are having a magician next month, could you focus on Ventriloquism. ( or comedy or music or mime...etc)

A parallel question

When you think a show was booked on a consumer seeing your puppets , you arrive to The Magician is here?

I look forward to reading about your experience.

L & P

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
I had a public school principal tell me, after she booked 4 assemblies for 2 schools, that I could not do any magic in them because too many parents complained before. They were afraid of devil influences. This was not a Catholic or other religious school. It was a PA public school district.

I had a church preschool book me for a program of storytelling and songs. The preschool director praised me after the show, said how good it was and how much the children enjoyed it. I went home, cashed the check, and mailed a "thank you" card. I got a letter back from that same director saying how I should take them off of my mailing list. She said they were "greatly disappointed" that I didn't do the puppet show they booked. I called her and offered a refund but she refused. (I sometimes think I should have done it anyway.) And she influenced 2 other places to ask me to stop mailing to them. I figured the more I tried to explain the more desperate I'd look. So I just let it go.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
We have one person to blame when this happens, and that is ourselves. This stresses the importance of a contract. I don't do a lot of other things ("arts"), but I do balloon twisting. I also have two others shows: My medicine show, and my science show. What I will do is spelled out very specifically within the contract, i.e. "The performance will include one (1) magic show of 45 minutes in length, followed by one (1) hour of balloon sculptures. A 15 minutes break will be provided between the magic and balloon portions of the program." Any other stipulations (parking, room considerations, amplification, etc.) is also indicated within the contract.

Of course this will not guarantee that everyone will be happy, but it will avoid them (and you) being confused about the show content.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I do magic, music and puppetry. What I mean is, each each of my shows is magical, music-driven, and involves at least one puppet. But I don't offer those services seperately.

That said, all my shows have a different theme. We focus on educational programs, so we offer reading shows, self-esteem, safety, history, geography, and so on. Plus of course the usual seasonal shows. In addition, every year we create a library show based on that year's theme.

So to answer your question, Harris: We don't often get asked to present just one aspect of our shows. What we DO get is bookers (especially libraries who do summer reading) saying they can only use our particular talents once every two or three years. Their reasoning is that they want a variety of entertainers (i.e. reptile men, drumming troupes, folk singers, ventriloquists, etc.) ... not just repeated magic shows.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I get the same with library branches. Luckily there are a lot around.

Even though information is sent, perceptions of staff on site is sometimes different.

That has been my experiences even with contacts, invoices and flyers at the venue.
Thanks to all sharing their own.

You all are appreciated by
Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
One of the shows I did when I had lost my voice last week and only got the base tones back, I got to the end of the magic show and the client approached me during the middle of the big dance number and asked if I was going to bring out my monkey puppet. I was not planning on doing so, since I could not access its voice and knew it would put extra strain on my throat.
But the client had obviously seen me before and wanted to see that puppet so after what was suppose to be my big finish, I got everyone sat down again and bought out the monkey puppet. He did his routine in a slighlty differnt voice to what he usally has, and so the client was left happy. But the fact that I was working with almost no voice, didn't even seem to factor into the clients mind when it came to him wanting a ventriloquist routine from me. They wanted to see the puppet, I was there and they were paying me.

I believe it was the birthday child that requested it, and if I was at full health, it wouldnt have even factored into the equation. I would have just done the routine but due to my situation at the time it was a lot of work to fulfil that childs and clients request. And I don't know if it set back my recovery time further.

Other times, I get the client asking me to make all the children a balloon model, which is fine when there are just ten children. But when there are 40+ I have remind them that it takes a minute to make each model, so I can make everyone a balloon if that is what they wish - but that will be the entire second half and there will be no time whatsoever to play any games and the children who have a balloon will have nothing to do, while the other children will have to wait in line for upto 40 minutes. So its up to them what they want. They always choose games after I explain it to them, but I see from the expression on their face that they still havent quite got the fact that with so many children, there are certain things not advisable to do.

Steve
lotcaster
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
151 Posts

Profile of lotcaster
I hire performers for my library, and perform in other libraries (and other places). Whether I'm the client or the performer, I always make sure to go over what will happen during the show, what can and can't be done, etc. at the time of booking, and then reiterate it a few days before the actual performance. I either get it in writing or via email, so I have a record of what was said.

Having said that, there are times that I have gone to perform for an audience and realized that the estimated size and age of the attendees was way, way off. Just to be safe, I always have enough material for three shows prepared, and mix and match things to best fit the situation if I need to. I'm good at ad-libbing, so that helps a lot.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
That's just it Starrpower. It was very clearly spelled out in the contract, including a list of the books the stories are from. I sent a CD with the songs on and printed lyrics so the kids can sing along. I also sent posters and a paragraph for the preschool to either include in their newsletter to parents or just copy and send home to the parents. It was very clearly detailed many times. And the contract was signed by that director and sent back to me two weeks before the show. I also always call the day before each show and go over everything again. There was no way she didn't know what was going to happen. I have no idea what happened in her head, or why. As I said, I just let it go. I've never had that problem before or since.

Now that elementary principal - she was just wacko. (In my humble opinion, of course.) Smile
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I don't tell people specifically what I do. I am a magician/puppeteer/story-teller. If someone asks for specifics, I tell them that I will decide the program when I see the audience. Which is true. I refuse to be pinned on the specifics. I tell them that my job is to provide maximum entertainment, and as I have done far more of these events than they ever will, they should trust me. It is an approach that rarely lets me down.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
I am very specific about what Ian offerering ,
45 min magic show with live rabbit and balloon sculptures
1hour as above
1 hour consisting of 40 min magic show above followed by 20 mins punch and Judy
2 hour full party package 15 min games 45 min magic show , break for food followed by group happy birthday and candle blowing followed by games and magic fun 2 hours from start to Finnish all you need do is feed them!

I did do an enviromental puppet show for 7 years ( 2 days a week on beaches) for pembrokeshire coast national park authority no magic just puppets
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I am always looking for new ideas for some more games. try to get everyone involved , average party about 30 kids.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2014, Bazinga wrote:
I had a public school principal tell me, after she booked 4 assemblies for 2 schools, that I could not do any magic in them because too many parents complained before. They were afraid of devil influences. This was not a Catholic or other religious school. It was a PA public school district.

I had a church preschool book me for a program of storytelling and songs. The preschool director praised me after the show, said how good it was and how much the children enjoyed it. I went home, cashed the check, and mailed a "thank you" card. I got a letter back from that same director saying how I should take them off of my mailing list. She said they were "greatly disappointed" that I didn't do the puppet show they booked. I called her and offered a refund but she refused. (I sometimes think I should have done it anyway.) And she influenced 2 other places to ask me to stop mailing to them. I figured the more I tried to explain the more desperate I'd look. So I just let it go.

I don't want to get into a religious "discussion", but I would just like to point out that you would not get this type of comment from a CATHOLIC school.

I respect anyone's religious convictions.

I've had this situation "happen" in PINEDALE WYOMING about 15 years ago. National School Assemblies booked me into the elementary school in this village. When I arrived, the principal said that he had been informed by a local church group that magic was the "work of the devil" etc.

The principal explained to the "committee" that I didn't do anything like that. I played the date.

I do a 5 minute segment in the program, in which I explain to the youngsters that they are watching an ILLUSION show, and I explain how their senses help create illusions in their minds, because their senses are not infallible. (ETC.) I use the old BOOMERANG STICKS, and a few similar props to help them understand. I make the point that they should not feel embarrasseed if they are fooled by a magic trick--they should enjoy it because it shows that they are intelligent. I've done this "routine" for almost 40 years, and school administrators and teachers feel that it is an educational presentation.

After the program in Pinedale, as I was walking back to my motor home, a middle aged lady approached and asked if "I did that" in all my programs. I knew what she meant, but I acted as if I didn't. Then she mentioned the illusion sequence. I said, "Yes." She left happy.

I would never 'argue' the point aboot Satanic 'stuff'. I just explain what an illusion is.

BTW, DUANE LAFLIN does, essentially the same thing as I do.

I'm writing up the entire illusion presentation in my book, in the hope that others may find it useful.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Dick is right. The anti magic attitude is NOT catholic. Caholics seem to be fairly moderate in the christian spectrum.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
The OP(original poster....hey that's me)stated that magic was great AND they had a magician booked for next month. They wanted to have a different type of act.

As a musician, puppeteer/vent, improvisation guy & writer, I have more flexibility.

Not as flexible as in your Mime over Matter Days, said Nigel the puppet that rocks and talks.

As an entertainer and counselor I find some people put me into their own boxes. For some it is a comedian. Others it might be magician, puppeteer,ventriloquist or musician. The last one was the hardest to accept. I always thought of myself as a comedy musician. Then I realized folks were liking the music as much as the comedy. An listening to Victor Borge's stuff, I noted he is a world class musician AND comedian.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2014, Harris wrote:
The OP(original poster....hey that's me)stated that magic was great AND they had a magician booked for next month. They wanted to have a different type of act.

Reminds me of a booker that had a friend of mine for their party. A very good clown/magician. They loved him. The following year the father rang him again, and said: Could you do something different this year? My friend asked what he meant.

"I don't know," said the father. "Perhaps you could shave your beard off?"
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
LWT

That post reminded me of a repeat gig the following year.
The consumer said Great new show.

It was basically the same show, with different ad libs based on what was happening at the event.

Harris
Have brain that travels........ Smile Smile
LWT= laugh while typing
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
http://www.gameskidsplay.net/games/xtra_games.htm

http://www.gameskidsplay.net/games/xtra_games.htm

The above link describes nearly 300 games.

Have fun!

John
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Danke!

h. deutsch
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » For those of you that use other arts with your magic (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL