The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » On the spot bar magic/close up tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Hello everyone! I hope everyone is doing fine. I recently got a new job as a bar back in a bar/restaurant and they would like me to try and do some tricks to the customers but heres the problems...

I can't carry anything on me. Well the reason being that I'm actually wearing a kilt and there isn't a pocket to carry cards/markers etc.

I was thinking of just doing Jim Pace Inviso Flash and that's it but what are some recommendations you have of great ones?

thank you!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
If wearing a kilt, get a sporran. Should be able to carry cards, TT, coins, Hot Rod...
As far as effects go, what do you enjoy doing?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Also, there are plenty of tricks you can do with standard bar equipment- with glasses or mugs, coasters, spoons, salt and pepper shakers, pretzels and crackers. I can't recommend any because you have to do the research and provide a list of all the stuff that is available in YOUR situation that might be used for magic.
yazz
View Profile
New user
UK
49 Posts

Profile of yazz
You can wear rubber bands and loops on your wrist;
You can wear a pk ring;
For impromptu effects get 'On the Spot' by Gregory Wilson and Dan Harlan's Impromptu Magic dvds

- Yazz
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
A sporran is the way to go for carrying stuff. Learn stuff with bar objects .
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Wravyn: I enjoy all types of tricks but I do not have the necessary skills to perform majority of it...

yazz: I just looked into Loops and I think I should get that seems very good would you recommend Tarantula as well?
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
The bar itself is a great magic shop..napkins, olives, straws, change on the bar, etc.
yazz
View Profile
New user
UK
49 Posts

Profile of yazz
By the way, if your looking into loops the 'Legacy Emergency Kit' by Subdivided Studios is the way to go - it teaches you how to tie your own loops on the fly and has some fantastic effects on there as well!

- Yazz
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Charliemartin: I'm trying to practice Torn by Daniel Garcia with coasters

yazz: Thank you!

Also this is maybe a little off topic but I recently purchased some 3D Multiplying Bunnies by Goshman, I used to own a set but the new set is significantly off coloured to the point where I'd say "the bunnies look ugly" the store where I purchased from says its like that for the whole batch and I have to live with it so who is the manufacturer that I can contact with this problem?
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
I don't know why but I did loops yesterday at work more than 80% of the people see the loops probably because of my light skin. Other than that iI did a PK ring trick with the cup and coin routine but that's it
yazz
View Profile
New user
UK
49 Posts

Profile of yazz
It is more likely that they saw the loops because of the lighting - make sure that there is no strong lighting behind you and if there is use your body to block it. When possible cast a shadow over the loop as they usually see light reflecting off the loop and not the loop itself. Also, a dark background is best.
Hope this helps Smile

- Yazz
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Doc Eason has some excellent videos specifically for Bar Magic. He's also a regular on "Reel Magic" magazine performing bar magic.
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I got Cesar's "Anti-G" a few weeks ago. Perfect for the bar and takes up no space.
Ihor
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
2 in the hand 1 in the sporran.

Bending.

Sugar effects can be sweet.

Dollar bills as alternate to t &r coaster.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Yazz Thanks for the tips! I just learned that they do reflect light as well as they break really easily even when I exercised it so I currently broke 4/5 loops in the pack haha.... Could you how me a way to tie my own loops? I bought the 30 feet spool elastic but don't know who to tie them.

Ihop and Harris thank you for your suggestions I shall thane a look at them once my exams are finished
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
For tying your own loops either
The Trintity System
Or if you're on a budget
The Million Dollar Knot DVD.
Ihor
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Thank you got the quick reply!
How about this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri7tGlMwan8

Some other magician refereed this to me.
MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Oh also how long is the original loops?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » On the spot bar magic/close up tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL