The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Blue and gold or other group (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Sometime about 6 years ago the scout troops in my area broke tradition with scheduling their B&G in February and sometimes have the dinner in May.
That's not the point, just an observation.

Anyway. I like to tell them that I'll be performing three tricks "right out of" the Cub Scout Magic Book - and I do. three quick rope tricks while standing and then I mention what page they are on. And I hold the book up.

While the book is out of print (I believe) they are plentiful on the Bay and... what better way to connect to the buyer and the audience then to perform something that's part of their culture. Trade show performers incorporate sponsors products or services as part of their normal course of practice. so even if you take a 20th century, and substitute it for blue & yellow handkerchiefs, that's better then bringing-out all your regular stuff (Not that your regular stuff doesn't kill).

Blackstone JR had a production number where he started with a small silk and produced larger and larger silks, ending-up with a 20 foot wide Americana flag THEN all the silks were dropped and a menagerie of animals, including a camel and elephant, appeared on stage. I asked what he called that number and he said "A mess" Then he said "I call it Americana BUT when we are in a different country, the last giant flag is the flag of that country and we call it (Assuming he was in Japan) Japaniana or Mexiciana if in Mexico or Austrialiana down there."

- - - - - -
So - how do you customise you show..... without going to extremes?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Customizing is something I add with a dash rather than a bushel barrel.
They include:

Song-time of year, holiday,interest of group
Some known songs, some parody

Change patter of effect in my prop room

Use of an extra prop- adding a basketball to all school assembly

Add details in the middle of a ventriloquist routine.

Ask consumer for additional information - key points- celebrants- pet phrases

A b/day of a 40 year old "kid" theme K-state and Abba.
I used purple balloons, sponge balls and handkerchiefs. My 3 foot rock and roller marionette danced to Abba music.

Harris
Still too old to know it all Smile Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I can customize when asked - I am doing a pirate show on Saturday, and did a Wizard of Oz show recently. The way I customize is exclusively through patter. I tell plenty of stories during the show, and that is what I use to work to a theme.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I bought 4 Cub Scout neckerchiefs and had my wife sew together a set of "20th Century Neckerchiefs" with funny boxer shorts as the center load - performed it with the Cubmaster and got big laughs every time.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2014, TonyB2009 wrote:
I can customize when asked - I am doing a pirate show on Saturday, and did a Wizard of Oz show recently. The way I customize is exclusively through patter. I tell plenty of stories during the show, and that is what I use to work to a theme.

Tony, I'm going to guess that you can customize when asked......

I've seen double posts here (obviously a bug) but this is the first double-down of a bug.
It's a double-down bug. A buggy double. A quadruple Elpost'o. A miracle!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am sorry if I quadruple posted. Meant to triple post!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
The old, sitting down and getting out pen and paper...or if you prefer your laptop/tablet...or etch a sketch.

Writing, and of course Re-Righting and Re-Righting again.

Harris
reader & "righter" Smile Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2014, jay leslie wrote:

While the book is out of print (I believe) they are plentiful on the Bay and...

...Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0......tion=all
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Some of the url will not highlight above. Copy and Paste the full line.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
The big things I do to customize the Scout shows is a neckerchief 20th Century and a burned & restored neckerchief. I also do the Kellar Rope Tie that I tie in (bad pun intended) to scouting and tying knots. I leave it at that. I believe that too much is too much. In general I think about TV shows and the ratio of content to commercials, and I follow about that same ratio of themed tricks to standard tricks.

BTW, I sell a lot of my souvenir magic books at B&G's . At $5 a pop, an autographed magic book is a really nice souvenir that most parents are happy to purchase.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Blue and gold or other group (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL