The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Neal Scryer (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2014, Darrell Mac wrote:
Martin, you have made you point. And if this type of material does not intrest you, as that you have stated your opinion. (which you are entitled to)
There's no need to be abusive. For a place that is suppose to be helping each-other there seems to be a lot of bashing of the craft. (If it's not for you then don't study it) I think I might be taking a break from this place for awhile. For those of you who have been very helpful to me I am thankful.

Where have I been abusive? I have been asked direct questions about my original comment and have responded. That is how the Café should work.

It strikes me as odd that the questions about "have you performed it" and statements like "you've made your point, time to move on" only pop up when someone writes a negative review. Why are those who write a positive review never questioned on their performing chops or advised to "cease and desist", do you think?

You are obviously a big fan of Mr Scryer's work, tell others why I'm wrong. Point out to others his virtues; direct them to specific routines that blew your mind; explain how his approach has advanced the art of mentalism. All of that would be more helpful than telling me to be quiet.

I don't believe in sacred cows - I can only review stuff as I find it, and I'm puzzled as to how a negative comment about a particular creator's work can be construed as "bashing our craft"? I'm the last person who would ever bash the art of mentalism; it has been a massive part of my life for 30 years.

The Café has hundreds of posts praising the work of Mr Scryer. I'm sure he can survive my disapprobation.
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1315 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2014, Darrell Mac wrote:
Martin, you have made you point. And if this type of material does not intrest you, as that you have stated your opinion. (which you are entitled to)
There's no need to be abusive. For a place that is suppose to be helping each-other there seems to be a lot of bashing of the craft. (If it's not for you then don't study it) I think I might be taking a break from this place for awhile. For those of you who have been very helpful to me I am thankful.

There is a big difference between bashing and being abusive and just saying one doesn't care for one's work. Isn't the Café for discussion and candid analysis? Yes there are some people who use Café as a hammer wielded in the joy of anonymity, but just for me, I have to reserve the right not to like something. I think we have just as many in the Café afraid to be honest as there are being abusive. But that would just be a cold reading guess.

Tone is so hard to interpret in written print.
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
I have been disappointed with most of the Scryer material I have read. I thought it was thin stuff, presented with an air of pseudo-profundity, with an oddly unsophisticated idea of sophistication; so many roses were being presented to "ladies" and "royalty" I started to imagine the psychic readings were taking place in a Ferrero Rocher ad.

I am, however, not a fan of the school of mentalism as "real" psychic reading, so those more inclined in that direction may love this material.

For me personally, the Scryer books have proven to be the emperor's new clothes.
I really feel the same as you Martin. Too much hype around Scryer's book, it may be good material for some, but do not deserve SO much attention in my opinion. If we follow all the reviews on the Magic Café, every single new releases book is a must to buy!!!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I have always loved the scryer work, mainly because its straigtforward, and the presentational angles are quite left of centre, yet still easy to understand...because of all that, it gives me plenty of scope to play around with elements of it - to make it suit me...

i would say get the black and white book combo before anything else...
I've asked to be banned
maggus
View Profile
New user
Barcelona
60 Posts

Profile of maggus
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

After all this discussion, I'm pretty sure I'll get some of his books, just to be able to read a material able to be so polarizing.
Based on the comments above, I'll need to choose among carnival, scryers13, black&white or screen &friends.... Not yet narrow enough LOL

Any other suggestion?
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
They're all excellent, in my opinion. Massive fan of Scryer's work here....and I LOVE a lot of his "new-age" flavor. Audiences seem to really enjoy it as well. The thing is, most of his material is easily adaptable to any sort of presentational theme you'd like to work with, as the methods are simple and straight-forward.
Pierre Emmanuel
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pierre Emmanuel
The first pages of Scyer and friends.. I was disappointed, then there were these pages where Neal talks about gifts and blessing, and it became clear: love ! Every trick he presents is about sharing a good feeling, spreading love, he respects and loves his spectators, and,ok, some effects might seem trivials when reading, but not when actually doing them (but you have to be in the mood, you have to feel the love). No, I'm not a new-age addict, but Neal has been a strong inspiration that made me discover where the real magic is in tricks: take a simple pulse effect (where you put her hand into yours, take her pulse and find the card) it can be presented as a TADAA trick, or you can walk in the emotions field.. you are touching her, she helps finding the card, in fact her vibrations help you find the card.. oh.. why cards ? why not tarot or anything else ? But moving away from the mystery of "will you find the card ?" to "you will find the card, let me just be your guide, enjoy that moment with me", makes a far better thing to expirement for her..

religious fan ? No ! Love ? Certainly
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Pierre,
That was the clearest understanding of the attraction I've seen regarding Neal Scyer's (and similar creators') work. Thanks for posting it.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes- very well put, Pierre.

I have always like the direct simplicity and the emotional hooks in Neal's work. Like I said in one of my early reviews of his work, he reminds me a of the late Bascom Jones in his ability to distill an effect to simple methods and very direct presentations.

And he's a fun guy to boot! One of my favorite people to hang out with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Neal Scryer (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL