The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Bad idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Was working a multiple location restaurant one night per week for the last 3 months. They rotated me weekly. Many customers complained saying that they had brought people there to see me, but it was the wrong week. Suggested to the owner that he make that night magic night at all his locations, to "brand" the concept in his patrons' minds and increase word of mouth advertising. Loved the idea, but magic was too expensive. He now has face painters, balloon blowers, and has cut magic to one night per month. So much for that gig.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Kingry,
That sounds about right.
Remember, the owner is in the restaurant business, not the magic business.
He may look at the short-term bottom line and see X dollars coming in and Y dollars going out.
So he wants to reduce the Y dollars going out, if he can, and if he can't increase the X dollars coming in.
So he cuts back on a high-profile expense, like entertainment, by eliminating it or by getting a cheaper form in, or both.
In the long run, it will cost him business -- although that thought probably isn't going to do you any good right now!
The trick would be to persuade the restaurant owner of that fact and hard-sell yourself as a draw.
If that doesn't work, well, that's the way it goes sometimes; we've all been there. Just suck it up and live with it, unfortunately.
(In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to look for another, steadier gig!)
bigfunlimo
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of bigfunlimo
There are two good ways to keep a restaurant gig. Number one is to get the staff on your side. If they love you they will only speak good things of you to the manager. So show them a new trick each week.
If you really want to be on their good side give them your tips. I don't do this but I know they would love it. Number two is get the people to tell the staff that they love you. At the end of your routine ask them to fll out a comment card or tell their waiter/waitress how much they love you. A GM cannot deny happy customers.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
The funny thing is, I was looking for another restaurant anyway. The people calling me from there had sticker shock when they called me for a private gig.
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
I know someone who one day literally said, "My show is a thousand dollars for 45 minutes" to himself and from then on, that's what he got. It's a comfortable number for him. He's traveled all over the world.

He's never paid less, books as many parties/occasions as he, (not that 'are') wants a month and actually only does it part time!

The main thing is that he doesn't 'believe' he's worth that nor that he has to prove/show he is worth that. It's that he knows. With pure intention and clear thought, he knows.

A little ambiguous, yes, but the point is that just as a manager of a restaurant is looking at his bottom line, so must you. Don't think that because you get 'hired' that you're in a different position. It's all intention, consideration and perspective.

When you go out to eat, you're 'hiring' that establishment to make you dinner for the night and you pay the place just as you would a personal chef.

Just some notes to hopefully give you a boost!
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Bad idea (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL