The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Last night (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
thementalcoach
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
64 Posts

Profile of thementalcoach
I'd NEVER say "I'm not in league with Satan, either," to a fundamentalist religious group - because I don't want to put that thought in their head.

And no spoon bending, hypnosis or altered state of consciousness? Well, dang, there goes most of the fun stuff.

Although I've discovered that spoon bending and ESP effects do have a significant "freak out" factor - which is why I do them.
David Kenward - The Mental Coach
One-on-One: Healing Trauma - Hypnosis, Hypnotherapy
Groups: Magic, Mentalism
Sacramento, California
http://thementalcoach.com
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
A rational person cannot win an argument with an irrational one, because the rational person feels the need to make sense.

So what can you do with these delusional, mind-deformed people who don't appreciate your talents, disrespect you as a performer and feel perfectly good about wasting your time? Nothing. There is nothing TO be done. Walk away. And don't go back.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It's always a good idea to find out who your audience is going to be BEFORE you agree to do a show.
geraldbelton
View Profile
New user
Durham, NC
63 Posts

Profile of geraldbelton
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2014, Thaumaturge wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2014, Art Vanderlay wrote:
Use it as publicity!

Cheers
Art

That truly is one of the best pieces of advice here! Stop talking about it and telling it as a negative (even to friends and family) and put a positive spin on it, and you have the beginnings of a great little story which will only serve to intrigue folks. If someone told me they'd been 'banished from the church' for reading minds I'd want to see more!

I do this... my name is in a database of persons who are not allowed to play the North Carolina Lottery. It's there because I happen to work in the building where the numbers are drawn, but I don't mention THAT. I just casually, after predicting a random number chosen by members of the audience, mention "Now you know why I'm banned from playing the lottery in North Carolina."
thementalcoach
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
64 Posts

Profile of thementalcoach
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2014, Ian Rowland wrote:
A rational person cannot win an argument with an irrational one, because the rational person feels the need to make sense.

So what can you do with these delusional, mind-deformed people who don't appreciate your talents, disrespect you as a performer and feel perfectly good about wasting your time? Nothing. There is nothing TO be done. Walk away. And don't go back.

So true. Years ago, I worked as a psych tech in a locked mental facility and I learned, 1) rational explanations are not effective to someone with a different reality; 2) different reality describes much of human interaction; and 3) we usually have the right to decide whether to engage - or not.

If someone learns I use hypnosis and tells me I do the work of the devil (happens more than you might think), I just say, politely, "everyone is entitled to their opinion" and walk away.
David Kenward - The Mental Coach
One-on-One: Healing Trauma - Hypnosis, Hypnotherapy
Groups: Magic, Mentalism
Sacramento, California
http://thementalcoach.com
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
So what did your 'friend who asked if you would help out' have to say about the matter?

But even the official David Copperfield forum has had some err ummm interesting people calling him a devil worshiper as he must be to be able to do the things he does. You are never going to correct that mindset and I'd rather back way slowly than try.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
matrose9
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of matrose9
My friend apologized, it wasn't his fault at all so I obviously forgave him haha. All in all I feel as though getting kicked out of a church for performing an illusion that was so convincing that it made them uncomfortable pretty much a win. I may take the advice of some of the posts here and use it for publicity. thanks everyone for your input.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2014, matrose9 wrote:
It was for a charity event to raise money for a group going to aid Haiti.

I would not fool with that group of people. A lot of them are fearful of magic. They are related to people in Africa. In parts of Africa they would kill people who perform magic or mentalism. That is why they wanted you to leave.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Yes when people have run away screaming, and they have, I consider that a great achievement.
I've had comments of "Keep away from me!" as well and that is most delightful.
People who have brought into the idea that you and what you are doing is real, are far easier to work with than a bunch of sceptics looking down their noses and trying to grab everything, question everything and generally try and take over the act.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
dzen871
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dzen871
Funny story! I don't know why but I remembered when Derren Brown used a satanic ritual in his TV series "Faith and Fear". I guess people in the audience where scared a lot!
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I just did a similar charity gig. The event committee originally backed out over concerns that the show might be too dark. I did a few things to set positive expectations.

* Explained in detail to the event organizer that the show was going to be upbeat and fun
* I told her the material that was more for my edgy audiences would not be performed
* Basically, I asked questions and set her mind at ease

Then I had to tailor the set. I took out my Jack the Ripper routine. I took out Lun@ but then reworked it to be less dark (thanks to the people in the Café for helping me tailor an ending!)

A tiger can't change its stripes. If you have a dark personality and persona, then you probably should avoid charity events that are going to be generally upbeat and light. If not, set expectations and tailor the presentation. You can come up with a presentational hook to fit any audience. For example, psychometry could be dark with a spirit living within the object but that might be too dark for a charity. However, you could say that the object as "vibrations" from the past like ripples on a pond.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2014, C.J. wrote:
Aside from the most conservative groups, most Christians are okay with *most* mentalism if it is framed correctly. However, when performing for a religious group, if you want to avoid ill will, I advise steering very clear of:
- Metal Bending
- Hypnosis (real or pseudo)
- Anything that appears as an altered state of consciousness/trance (this is where I'd guess they became uncomfortable with you)
- Pendulums
- Any oracle-based reading system, particularly Tarot

These things, in the Christian worldview, have a history of being considered either witchcraft or demonic in origin. Classics like drawing dupes, bank nites, confabulations and chair tests are the safe zone. Then again, as many authors in the field have pointed out, mentalism is all based on plausibility, so there is always a risk that someone with a very religious bent will call you the devil after your ACAAN. That Peter Turner, I'm telling you...! Smile

I agree. However, I think almost any routine short of really, really edgy stuff and séances can be tailored to fit any audience.

As a conservative Christian, I think there is a misconception that Christians are closed-minded or they're a monolithic entity that thinks alike. Most are just convicted by their beliefs not to dabble in real magic or séances. Christians watch the same entertainment as most Americans (actually a majority Americans are Christian). The fringes of Christianity do not define the entire group. There is a lot of diversity within the church. Just try to find out who you are dealing with, tailor your script and set expectations with the event organizers in advance.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
My Dad was a Vicar. He taught me magic and performed it himself. When performing professionally I still found time to support charities with free shows. But I accept that some don't.

Learn from what happened. Also, I respectfully advise you to ignore any advice on here to dismiss anyone as small minded, narrow minded etc. Everyone deserves respect, even those we disagree with.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:

That was entirely uncalled for. Calling a person delusional and mind-deformed simply because they hold beliefs that are contrary to yours is extremely unprofessional, and the epitome of arrogance.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I agree with several of the others. Performing for certain religious people is difficult. Back when I performed magic for adults, I was curious about why a church audience seemed bored with my version of the TV Card Frame. The person who paid me said, “We don’t believe in cards.” After a mentalism show at a Christian College, one person came up and explained that it was a sin to control the minds of others. My response was that, “I’m an entertainer. Does it entertain you more to believe that what I did was real, or is it more entertaining to believe it was not real?” He seemed more comfortable with that response. Anytime you agree to perform in a religious or pseudo-religious setting, try to learn about their taboos.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2014, MichaelCGM wrote:
Quote:

That was entirely uncalled for. Calling a person delusional and mind-deformed simply because they hold beliefs that are contrary to yours is extremely unprofessional, and the epitome of arrogance.

+1

Although I suppose we have to respect his beliefs as well.

This social conscience is difficult at times.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2014, Rolyan wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2014, MichaelCGM wrote:
Quote:

+1

Although I suppose we have to respect his beliefs as well.

This social conscience is difficult at times.
No, we don't have to respect his beliefs, just as he doesn't have to respect the beliefs of others. But we do need to respect him as a person. One can argue the merits of different beliefs without insulting the person who holds such beliefs.

Note: This is my last post about the rudeness of Ian's post. I made my point, and I don't want to derail an important thread.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Ken Weber actually discussed the exact issue brought up by the OP in his Maximum Entertainment book.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Last night (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL