The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why a turban? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Does the traditional turban help the mentalist keep other people's thoughts out of his head? Or perhaps help keep his thoughts from disturbing the audience?

I'm asking about the metaphysics of mentalism. What are the ideas that make the field different from other forms of magic?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I don't know
But while performing in the twenties Alexander hid some special equipement in his, as far as I know.

Sven
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
I use aluminum foil...just teasing. I have heard of people wrapping their heads with foil to keep aliens from reading their thought though Smile

John E.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Quote:
On 2004-01-09 12:10, johne wrote:
I use aluminum foil...just teasing. I have heard of people wrapping their heads with foil to keep aliens from reading their thought though Smile

John E.

This really does work, you know...

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
I know for a fact it works...at least for those who do it, they have never been thought read by aliens. Prior to the foil...now that's all heresay. Smile

John
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
I don't know about a turban, but when small magnets are placed on people's heads, they lose their sense of direction!

Read about it here

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s148725.htm
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
oldmanxxvi
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
61 Posts

Profile of oldmanxxvi
And here I was thinking the magnets held the aluminum foil in place. That explains a lot! Smile
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
How small could "special equipment" be in a turban from the 20's?

Need to replenish the alluminum foil, since getting Kuffs latest DVD its become harder to keep it in stock and those aliens have been reading my fantasies again!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Why a turban?

My guess is:

Ultimate Magic=Indian Rope Trick=Indian Swami=Turban.

But maybe I'm taking your question too literally?

Jack Shalom
JordanMalfreed
View Profile
Regular user
California
116 Posts

Profile of JordanMalfreed
The turban was to evoke in people's minds the mysterious things people believed happened in places where turbans are worn. The mental associations with turbans seem to have changed drammatically between now and then.

In your mind,
Jordan
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Charles Carter (Carter the Great) wore a turban because he was a lot more plain-looking than other magicians before him. Herrmann had done the devil's goatee and had a peculiar face, Houdini had those intense eyes, so why not be the "white mahatma."

These days, I wouldn't do it except for comedy. I think Johnny Carson killed it for the next 20 years. Current events haven't helped much either.

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why a turban? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL