The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Metamorphosis Sacks (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
I'm looking to get a couple of custom metamorphosis sacks made out of a satin or nylon material with Velcro in the bottom. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Lou
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Make 'em!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I would recommend using snaps rather than Velcro. You can buy snap tape from Joanne Fabrics and have a seamstress make you a bag and sew in the snap tape. These pop much easier than the Velcro.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
If the bag is not being examined I would just leave it open at both ends. Make a tube. Ours is preset in the box and I just pull a little of the material over to hide the bottom. When The box is opened it looks just like it should a bag lying in the bottom to the trunk. One little tip. Sew a couple of pieces of velcro to the bottom hem a few inches apart. Glue corresponding pieces of velcro to the upper third of the side of the trunk, the same distance apart as the ones on the hem. This way you can hang the bag on the side trunk out of the way and make it a lot easier/faster for the person to get back inside the bag after the change.

John
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Snaps work but what about the "lighter fluid on the Velcro" trick. You can reclose the bag in the dark, if you desire.

What famous dove worker discovered that technique?
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I would leave it open at the bottom, as John Martin suggested. Much easier to make and easier (in my opinion) to perform.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I worked with a Chalet trunk with Paul Osborne shows for years... over 1200 shows with the sub-trunk. Ours was open on both ends... but one half of the bottom end had a piece of rope sewn into it. that way we knew that we just had to set it right, and pull the rope over my head to get into the sack. I see no reason at all to close the end with snaps or velcro... you NEVER really show it's a real bag in the modern age.

Thanks Paul for sending a bag that was foolproof!! It was also made of a nearly indestructable double knit poly... wrinkle free and never showed any wear..even after 450 park shows...
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have been doing the Canvas Covered Box for 30+ years, with a denim sack, Velcro sewed in the bottom. I'm just looking to replace the bag.

I'll try it without snaps or Velcro in the bottom. Makeupguy, I really like the suggestion of the rope sewn in the bottom. Simple, yet very practical.

Lou
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
I remember the canvas covered box - started that way over 35 years ago with Abbott version - used to use a light stitch on the bottom of the sack for examination - quickly went to a cloth tube as the others have suggested with a small chain sewn in the bottom of the sack for positioning.

Rick

PS: Also went to a click hasp instead of a lock (on the end of the chain) after doing the switch and being inside with the keys:) - hey I was around 20 - still laugh at it to this day.
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
msillusions
View Profile
New user
Ft. Worth
60 Posts

Profile of msillusions
Did the sub trunk thousands of times at three different Six Flags parks and never used a anything but the "tube" bag. Ours did have a thick hem in half the bottom, but it wasn't a rope, just stiffer material. Worked perfectly to grab the thick hem and pull it over your head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Metamorphosis Sacks (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL