The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Look, Don't See (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
In another thread (What is Your Main Objective) someone commented that there are a lot of kids' magicians that have shows using the comedy element of "Look, don't see" in every routine. Their feeling was that you should only do it once in a show, otherwise you end up "looking like an imbecile in a room of shouting kids."

Quite frankly, I had not even thought about how often I use "Look, don't see" in my show (and I do use it!) but after reviewing it, I usually have at least 3 routines I include that depend heavily on it. And those routines seem to get more laughs as well.

I'm not sure that I believe that using this technique more than once is too much, but I certainly agree that you may be subject to doing too much of a good thing with anything you do. I think that using comedy elements such as this doesn't necessarily make you look like an imbecile (unless you want it to), but it certainly can help define your character.

How often do you use "Look, don't see" in your show and how many times do you think is too much?
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
The is no definitive answer to this Robin, but as you correctly say, kids love "look don't see", so I would continue to do exactly what you are doing, and don't listen to magicians who lay down rules. I never do!!!! Smile JR
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
When you do any comedy magic, there are sort of 2 things going on - there is A. you and your comic performing ability, and there is B. the routine. I see lots of people with no peticular comic skills doing a good or great routine and still getting laughs because the routine is good and they are likable. But if you want to be REALLY good and REALLY funny, then you need both A and B. The mediocre comedy magic entertainers get laughs, but the best ones get lots of sustained laughter throughout, and not just from the kids. I've seen big name kid show gurus (we all know them) that get lots of laughs because of well structured, well written, creative routines(super important), but if you ask me, but some just don't demonstrate much real comic skill.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Robin! --"If it works--don't fix it" is still a rather good "rule"!

Jolly Roger says "don't listen to magicians who lay down rules", and he has some credentials! Some of the old timers would say: "Don't be "greedy with a principle", but, they were referring more to an illusion principle, or a sleight of hand principle, more than with a presentation principle.

I definitely use "look don't see" in several routines--and it definitely "sells" the bit.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
The younger your audience, the more effective "Look Don't See" will be. More mature audiences will get tired of that kind of gag very quickly. But that said, I use "Look Don't See" very effectively in my children's shows!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Twice ... if I use it as an opener, which I sometimes do with a blooming bouquet. If not, I typically use it once.

There are times I play naive, and let the kids point things out to me, but that is not the traditional "look don't see".

I am in agreement that the only rule is there are no rules. It's one of the reasons I seldom listen to the "gurus" in magic. I find much more usable knowledge in these threads than I do in the pages of the magic rags from the "names".
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2014, Jolly Roger wrote:
The is no definitive answer to this Robin, but as you correctly say, kids love "look don't see", so I would continue to do exactly what you are doing, and don't listen to magicians who lay down rules. I never do!!!! Smile JR

I'm 100% with Roger, Dick and Arthur on this. I use it MANY times in each show. I have never conformed to any rules during my show except to have fun. Just like when someone said that people should stop wearing short sleeve shirts and vests in their shows. There ARE no rules.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
cwbny
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of cwbny
I'd define Look, Don't See as "Something happens, and for some reason, the magician doesn't see it even though the audience does." FOR SOME REASON could be anything, so even though you might repeat the Look, Don't See bit throughout the show, if you're changing up the reasons WHY you're not seeing, then it will feel fresh each time.

As an example, Episode 3 of my YouTube videos shows two different techniques that involve Look, Don't See. Even though they both involve the technique, they both seem very different and could both easily be incorporated into a show together without appearing to be merely the same shtick over and over again.

And I'll also agree with Tommy who agree with others!
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2014, Jolly Roger wrote:

Well said. What is more important, providing a great show or following "rules". Rules for developing shows are designed to help people who are just starting or don't have the experience, to give them the guidance they don't already have. If your experience tells you to break the rules, then break them. "Rules" is probably the wrong term to use, we should consider them "guidelines", circumstances and personalities can certainly lead you to violate these "guidelines" and with potentially good results. Just make sure that whatever you do has well thought out reasons behind it.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2014, TommyJ wrote:
Just like when someone said that people should stop wearing short sleeve shirts and vests in their shows.

You wear VESTS? Oh, that is SO wrong!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Are you saying "Don't wear short sleeve shirts" AND ALSO "Don't wear vests," or are you saying "Don't wear BOTH short sleeve shirts and vests AT THE SAME TIME?"

I don't want to break any rules.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Do we need to know a rule before we break them

I used to think so. Then I met some great entertainers that developed their schticks, without the traditional club/lecture/books.

Knowing your audience at a specific moment and adapting your rules=Priceless.

In my youth, I sometimes forgot, even rules of my own, SOMETIMES need bending.
Caps for emphasis.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2014, 0pus wrote:
Are you saying "Don't wear short sleeve shirts" AND ALSO "Don't wear vests," or are you saying "Don't wear BOTH short sleeve shirts and vests AT THE SAME TIME?"

I don't want to break any rules.

I'm thinking, why take a chance? Let's just perform naked, just to be on the safe side.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2014, cardmaster wrote:
There is no rule.

This could (and should) apply to almost anything in magic. The only thing that matters is whether something works.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
So the rule is
There are no rules! Smile
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Seriously though , I think this is why we have so much heated debate on the Café ...
Because things that work for one may not for another and visa versa
Phil
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
One question for ...robin4kids
is that just your Café id or is that your on your website header .
Because I can't help imagining some one going out and stealing stuff for children

Robbin for kids

Phil
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Ha! ...Good one Phil! I guess you could say that I'm somewhat like one of my favorites in literature... Robin Hood. Only difference is that I take payments from adults to give magical fun to the kids!! But to answer your question, that's just my Café ID and not a name that I perform as.
Robin Rainer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Look, Don't See (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL