The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Stage magic for the close up magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Hi All.

I've heard many people say that a magician should learn about all sorts of magic, even if you don't intend to do that style of magic.
With that in mind, I'd like to learn about stage magic-- something I've never done before.

Are there any books (or videos) that would be useful for someone like me? I'd like to learn concepts and theory that I could apply to close-up (if there is such a book). Would the Steinmeyer or Osborne books be useful? (Although I'm not really after specific illusions, I also wouldn't mind knowing how to vanish a person with just a cloth. I've seen shows where this is done on grass/ regular ground.) The closest thing I have to stage magic at the moment are videos on how to do the multiplying balls.

thanks in advance,

Frank
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
_Magic and Showmanship_ by Henning Nelms might be one place to start. See this discussion on the Café:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15
that generated discussions from 2009 to 2013!

I also always liked _Forging Ahead in Magic_ by John Booth. Although it's an older book, some of the information--like how to enter, how to bow, care of the hands, face and clothes, etc--is timeless. There is a copy listed at alibris.com today for $24.68

That book and _Marvels of Mystery_ by Booth were collected in one hardback edition from Supreme called _The John Booth Classics_. The prices for the Supreme book at alibris.com look a little too high. You might try eBay instead.

Karrell Fox wrote a Foreword to _The John Booth Classics_ in which he said:
-----quote-----
Over the years in my column in "TOPS" magazine, I have recommended John's books to many young magicians who have written me for advice in furthering their careers in magic...

I'm sure you will enjoy and benefit from these two new books on magic. I say "new" because the basics of stagecraft and magic remain the same whether the medium is night clubs, theatre, or any other. The elements with which these books deal are ageless, and as modern and pertinent today as when first set down on paper.
-----end quote-----

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
BTW, Frank, you wrote that "The closest thing I have to stage magic at the moment are videos on how to do the multiplying balls." There's so much more to stage magic than billiard balls. Also, consider routines that are not strictly manipulation. A lot depends on where you would like to begin your forays into stand-up magic. The Chinese Linking Rings may be hundreds of years old, but it still gets a great reaction from audiences. Then there's the cut-and-restored rope (or Ted Collins's "Panama Rope Mystery" from Tarbell) which works well close-up and on stage, and "The Professor's Nightmare." Denny Haney's Egg bag Routine is a great stand-up routine that gets a great reaction from audiences. Silk magic packs small and plays big. Gene Anderson's "Torn and Restored Newspaper" is another classic.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Homing card - cards across - misers dream - Slydini silks - 51 cards to pocket - card to wallet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBR6ZatHbWE
silk vanish in bill

book STRONG MAGIC darwin ortiz
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Thanks! I was actually thinking about trying to learn about things that are really outside my current realm of knowledge-- mainly stage illusions but I'm not sure where to start. I probably will never do such illusions, but again I'm not sure where to start.

Frank
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I would suggest "Foundation" by Eberhard Riese, "Dramatic Magic", "Wonders of Magic", and "John Booth: Extending Magic Beyond Credibility" all three by John Booth to see how stage magicians think about their magic.
Coram Deo
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Since Frank qualified his search for "things that are really outside my current realm of knowledge-- mainly stage illusions but I'm not sure where to start" (which to me means he wants to expand his knowledge-base of magic) and that he "probably will never do such illusions"--I would recommend the Paul Osborne books, like: _Classic Illusions #1_
http://dennymagic.com/store/classics-ill......723.html
which describes "several versions of the Sawing, Sub Trunk and Modern Cabinet, and Sword Cabinet, Super Suspension, Crystal Casket, Cargo Cage and Zig Zag."

Another resource might be _Illusion Show Know-How_ by Ken and Roberta Griffin that goes into "The traveling and living out of a suitcase, the advertising, the routining of the show, the packing and the unpacking, theatrical KNOW-HOW, etc., etc. In “ILLUSION SHOW KNOW-HOW”, Ken and Roberta Griffin disclose not only their time-tested ways of operating a big show but give you all the information needed to go along with the other aspects of this business."
http://abbottmagic.com/Instant-Download-......whow.htm

Also check this thread on the Café from a few years ago:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=7&126

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Tarbell and the Osborne books.

David
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
If 'backstage' knowledge interets you, I would certainly 'second' ANATOLE'S recommendation of Ken & Roberta GRIFFIN's "ILLUSION SHOW KNOW HOW".

Ken, Roberta and I were good friends. Although most of my work was in the school assembly field, I relied on their personal suggestions PLUS their book, when I put together a tour for a phone promoter, with a few of the big boxes. As well as my "production" was planned and organized,when the tour came to an end, I was glad to return to my "suitcase circus" and the knowledge box circuit.

Tarbell will definitely expand your knowledge base of PRINCIPLES. From "pocket to parlor to stage props, you'll get an EDUCATION.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Ftlum:

I would also recommend David Seebach's book...."So You Want to be an Illusionist".....here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/You-Want-Illusioni......0FLZSXUS
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Thanks again, Everyone!

- Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Stage magic for the close up magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL