The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Creative Magic Table (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Finally got my hands on one of these and I love the organization side to it. Question is, how much will it exactly hold? It looks like it'll hold everything in my close-up case plus my parlour case, but not sure it'll actually close all the way...
Anyone who uses one wanna chime in?
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello Matt! I used your "middle" namem cuz I don't know how to spell "magic" or "Man"......

OK...what is a "one of these"??? I have two Harbins, one "Karrell Fox", a half dozen Stan Paynes, l cymbal stand, 3 waiters cross legs (one on wheels) and two old root beer drive in "car trays", but, I have no knowldge of a "creative magic table". You may assume (correctly) that I havd a table fetish.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Who makes it? got a link?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
I think 3M in talking about this http://www.creativemagic.net/CMtable.htm
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Surprised that not many know of this table. Its pretty genius for the right act.

I plan on using it for my stand-up & parlour act and maybe the occasional festival.

Just wondering how full it can be and still fold up...
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2014, MagicMattMan wrote:
Finally got my hands on one of these and I love the organization side to it. Question is, how much will it exactly hold? It looks like it'll hold everything in my close-up case plus my parlour case, but not sure it'll actually close all the way...

Surely, if you have the CM table you can put all your stuff in it yourself and see if it will fit?

And sorry for calling you Surely. Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Quentin~! The late John SHIRLEY (born: Schirle) who was known for his "BALLOON BARRAGE", married a woman whose "given" name was SHIRLEY. Yup! Shirley Shirley!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey "3M" Thanx Chris G! 3M is easier to spell!)

I bought one of the first "TOWN HOUSE NITE CLUB TABLES" IN 1951. It was great--BUT, it was a bit awkward to carry. (The show props fit in a "skate box"!)

This CREATIVE 'case/table' looks neat for the performer who uses a lot of props. However, I'll stick with my 13" x 20" x 8" case and tray jack. The 'suitcase' (loaded) and tray jack weighs about 23 lbs, and sets up in less than a minute. (Show props set in 2-3 minutes--45 minute show) My "stand up" act works "anywhere for anybody". I don't work sitting at a table, for "close up".

If this CREATIVE 'case/table' fits your needs, I think it certainly looks practical. I don't fly to gigs, but I wonder how it would travel as airline baggage (plastic "frame").

I suspect that the factory found that it was too expensive to make--especially for the limited market.

I believe it was HOUDINI that had a crate made by a carpenter to troupe an illusion prop. When it was delivered, Houdini jumped on it, and his weight broke thru the 'lid'! The "baggage smashers" who loaded show trunks and crates on the train, didn't know what 'FRAGILE' meant!

The BLACKSTONE (SR.) show was known as "magic BP" (BP--before plywood) Old assistants would say: "Sure I was on the Blackstone Show--wanna see my truss?!"
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I've never seen that before. Great idea but $600 for something that flimsy?!?!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Just a FYI.

This table was only available for "Portion Holders" of Creative Magic. It was included as a free bonus as a part of your portion, and you had the option to purchase more (at a special price) after everyone received their last CM box.

Portion holders could re-sell their tables, but there was no way for others to buy them directly from CM.

I sold mine, because it wasn't right for me. And yes, I sold my new table for below the suggested retail price, as did some others.

- Donald

P.S. For those who weren't paying attention to magic news in 2011, here's a short lesson on Creative Magic and "portion holders." This was covered in several magic magazines, including MAGIC and Vanish, and was discussed in many places including the Magic Café.

Creative Magic was a company run by Brian and Rebekah Daniel (aka Brian and Rebekah South), from 2004-2011.

The company closed down in a unique way, by selling off / splitting up their inventory to "portion holders" in June 2011. Certain magicians, illusionists, & magic shops bought into the portions until all were gone (there was a limited number of "portions of the company", based on what stock remained... all of the portions were claimed within a couple of weeks).

Think of it like a cake being split into pieces.

Portion holders were receiving the remaining stock, split up into 8 shipments / boxes (quarterly for 2 years). In late summer 2013, we received our 8th and final shipment / box, which includes a mystery prop (the mystery prop turned out to be the CM Table, not a stage illusion or magic trick, with a bonus of the Helmet Head Twister make-it-yourself kit).

By the time we each got our final shipment / box, we had our "full" portion. As a portion holder, you were guaranteed at least one of each prop they made, and some props you might get in multiples. You did not know beforehand how much of each prop you'd get. Some of their discontinued props, such as Arabian Framework, were not included in the portions.

More here: http://www.creativemagic.net/Finale/deal.htm

Note - there is both text and videos on that page. After reading the information, feel free to watch the videos and click on other page links (like FAQs) for more information.

Also, here are some other sources talking about it:

http://mnw.squarespace.com/magicnewsfeed......gic.html

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=95

P.P.S. When it comes to re-selling a CM prop / illusion, some sell for more than their original retail, and some sell for less than their original retail. This is somewhat based on supply and demand. For example, it's almost impossible to get a set of Bigger Wands for the original $145 price... they commonly sell for about $250.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
So far the table is working great for what I need it for. Everything has a place so far, but I'm still tweaking it a bit before taking it out on the road.

It's pretty sturdy, but I'll probably replace the plastic piece in the top with something thicker in order to have more strength for my chop cup routine.

I'll post some pics soon when I get it how I want it so that you can see the full outfit.

mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
I was a Creative Magic portion holder and kept two of these for myself. I turned one of them into a "Magic Show To Go" and it is packed with all I need to give about a 30 to 45 minute show with no notice. I have used it several times for such. I am so dissapointed that this product is not availble to everyone who would like one.

As for sturdiness, it is ADEQUATE, but not great. I use them often to support HH Rabbits, Invisible Paint and more and I have never had a problem. I wold not use it for a livestock production.

Big plus points are:
infinite arrangement of props and accessories with the velcro system.

Shelves for storing items during the show for quick access.

BIG "servante" tray that can be used at the back top of the table.

Sets up / takes down in less than 1 minute and looks really clean and professional.

Becomes an easy to carry shoulder bag / carry on that holds a LARGE number of accessories.

In my "Magic Show To Go" I have in this all in one single folding table...
HH Rabbits (full 12" stage size set), SilkCola (Pringles version) several assorted TT's, Silks, "Fishing Pole Wand", Change bag, several small wands as give aways, D'Lites, Magic Bubbles, Hot Book, business cards, Appearing and color changing canes, two "snake" cans, 1 deck of cards, 1 deck of "invisible deck", a roll down vinyl wand with rabbit figure where children look through the hole to get their picture made as a rabbit after the show, Crystal Tube, pens, paper, a clip board and some other odds and ends.

There is a program where portion holders can still get these tables. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I will see if any are still available and if so, for how much. I wouldn't have ever paid the $600 retail price for them because I, like most, just didn't see the value. But having had them for over a year and used them constantly, I wouldn't sell mine if I was offered $1,000 each for my two if I knew I could not replace them.
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Mr. Piper,

That is the best feedback ever! Sounds like you get a lot in there as well as a lot of use out of it as well.

I'm hoping to have it hold my whole stand-up show that I can just leave in the car for when I need it! Whether it be for a show or those moments of when a close-up gig is bigger than expected.

And yes, so many different options with the pockets! Love it!

mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Thanks Matt,

For EXACTLY your purpose of a "Show on the Go" in your car, this is the best ever. The absolute secret is the part with all of the pockets and storage. It will last forever with little or no maintenance. As far as the table/ box part is concerned, if you ever NEED that part to be powerfully stable or hold a lot of weight, you can find/buy/make your own box/table then fold the main part with the drape over it.

If someone here knows what this is and wants to make their own version that is just a bit bigger and heavier, here is a cool link to a workable solution:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/ite......ry/69058
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I threw away the shelves as they were very flimsy and would fall over too easily. I drape the whole pocket, close up mat, and curtains over a standard telescopic table ( http://www.ronjo.com/magic/cr3-instand.html ) with the table top cut to the dimensions of the close up mat. Very sturdy. Packs about the same as with the shelves.

Just an Idea.

Patrick Wallace
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Creative Magic Table (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL