The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » My post...? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, Balaram wrote:
Yes, the Café reserves the right to read your PMs.

Wow, I was not aware my "private" messages could be read by anyone except myself and the person I intend on having a "private" conversation with.
Very interesting. . .
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Dammit, I have to stop putting comments about all the Lovely Lady Magi, in my Café PM's ! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
MissMage
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of MissMage
When I found this out last year, I pretty much stopped using the PM feature. It is NOT as advertised. It is not "Private".
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
From what I've been told, private messages on any forum (not just here) can be accessed by the head of the forum. Nature of the beast.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
As the owner of bizarremagic.net http://bizarremagic.net/forums/index.php I have never and will never access any user's private messages. That's a promise. There is no reasonable justification for a magic discussion site to emulate the NSA.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, David Parr wrote:
As the owner of bizarremagic.net http://bizarremagic.net/forums/index.php I have never and will never access any user's private messages. That's a promise. There is no reasonable justification for a magic discussion site to emulate the NSA.

That's a nice sentiment, but you will quickly revise your thinking the first time you are embroiled in a legal battle over comments left on your forum, public or "private." I have moderated message boards since the late 70's and I can assure you that if you don't have some mechanism in place to make sure no one is doing something illegal through your portal, you will be held responsible for MUCH more than you think you can be held responsible for.

I'm not sure why you think that you can make ANYTHING more private on your system then companies like Facebook or Google etc. Even they recognize their legal obligation in running a social media site. You are not immune to legal actions and shared responsibilities no matter what you claim in your terms of service.

Not watching out for your legal responsibilities in running a forum is as good as asking for trouble. Good luck with that.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
So true. Sadly.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
As a newspaper editor with a PhD in first amendment law, I have to disagree on the level of responsibility. If you don't edit posts, you aren't responsible for them under federal law online, though you are in print. That's statutory immunity to promote free speech online. Where you take responsibility is when you begin editing, though you can certainly ban troublesome users. This is still largely uncharted legal water, but that's how federal statute reads for those of us who host public sites.
Marc Charisse
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Mr. Desmond, while I admit that I don't have a full understanding of the legal minutiae, I don't think you do either. I have friends who are much more experienced in addressing the kinds of issues you've raised. But I'm fairly solid on my understanding of the Bill of Rights. In any case, if the NSA or the FBI were to demand access to my site, I would have to grant it (possibly under protest). But I would keep my promise. I myself would not access another user's private messages.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On May 1, 2014, David Parr wrote:
Mr. Desmond, while I admit that I don't have a full understanding of the legal minutiae, I don't think you do either. I have friends who are much more experienced in addressing the kinds of issues you've raised. But I'm fairly solid on my understanding of the Bill of Rights. In any case, if the NSA or the FBI were to demand access to my site, I would have to grant it (possibly under protest). But I would keep my promise. I myself would not access another user's private messages.

Go for it!
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Quote:
But I would keep my promise. I myself would not access another user's private messages.

My Thanks to David Parr, this IS appreciated.
Peace, Bill Z.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
I'm fairly solid on my understanding of the Bill of Rights.

Sadly, the Bill of Rights isn't what it use to be.
Bob
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Nevertheless, Intrepid, rationalizing Orwellian behavior is just that — rationalizing. I stand by the statement that there is no reasonable justification for playing Thought Police with the users on a magic discussion site.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » My post...? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL