The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » WOW! Now Here Is Something Incredible! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
This kid is very very lucky to be alive. He hid inside an airplane wheel well which then took off from California to Hawaii on a 5 hour flight and he survived! WOW! Now that, my friends, is amazing!

Quote:
CNN wrote:

The first sign something was off was when the ground crew at Kahului Airport in Maui noticed a boy wandering the tarmac, dazed and confused. The story he told officials was even more incredible.

He told authorities he was from Santa Clara, California, and ran away from home Sunday morning, said FBI Special Agent Tom Simon. He didn't have an ID, and was only carrying a comb.

The 16-year-old apparently hitched a ride from San Jose, California, to Maui, Hawaii, in the landing-gear wheel well of a Boeing 767, Hawaiian Airlines said.

He hopped an airport fence, ran to the plane and climbed onto Hawaii Airlines Flight 45, the FBI said. Once confident that the teen did not present a threat, the FBI dropped out of the investigation.

"It appears that this teenager scaled a section of our perimeter," Mineta San Jose International Airport spokeswoman Rosemary Barnes told CNN. The boy "was able to proceed onto our ramp under cover of darkness and enter the wheel well of an aircraft."

Hawaiian Airlines said, "Our primary concern now is for the well-being of the boy, who is exceptionally lucky to have survived."

He certainly is. As unlikely as it sounds, officials believe the boy rode in the tiny, cramped compartment for almost five hours, at altitudes that reached 38,000 feet, without oxygen and under subzero temperatures.

I can't imagine what this kid's parents are going through right now. They must be glad he is alive and angry both.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/21/us/hawaii-......pt=hp_t1
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Luck, lucky, lucky just does,not describe it, what makes people do these things !!!
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
So why are we still bothering with the security theatre that is TSA? This simple and undetected breech of security clearly shows that if someone wanted to get something on a plane it is literally child's play to do so.

As a side note I hear that there are some airlines seriously considering adding this new found seat location to their seating charts. Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I'm wondering if others got the impression that the kid may have perhaps had some mental disabilities as the authorities would not be pressing charges?

Sadly, others who have attempted this same thing have died as a result..indeed this kid was lucky!

It reminded me of a story that was once presented in a Criminology class I took. A man's frozen body was discovered in a park in the midst of newly planted flowers. There were no footprints in the fresh soil and the man was far too heavy for someone to have flung him there as I think the flower bed was 15 to 20 ft. This led to a discussion as to how he came to be there.

The police were stumped until it was discovered he had escaped his home country by sneaking onto the wheel well of the plane. Like the story above, but not as fortunate an ending, the man froze when the plane reached a certain height and apon nearing the city when the wheels were dropped down, he fell out and landed in the middle of the city in the flower bed. A strange but true story.

I can only imagine the shivers the parents felt when they discovered what their son had done in the above story. Yes, truly lucky!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2014, Payne wrote:

As a side note I hear that there are some airlines seriously considering adding this new found seat location to their seating charts. Smile

And likely they'll charge extra as they'll label it a "premium seat"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
So all this security is a waste then.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2014, Payne wrote:
So why are we still bothering with the security theatre that is TSA? This simple and undetected breech of security clearly shows that if someone wanted to get something on a plane it is literally child's play to do so.

Since this was a million to one chance. I doubt it means anything.

Quote:

Probably true.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Since you claim it's a million to one chance then how did you figure them odds out?

And are you offering a million to one?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Probably security was arranged by the same company that allowed the 16 year old to get to the top of the World Trade Center undetected last month.

And this is comforting:

Quote:
Once confident that the teen did not present a threat, the FBI dropped out of the investigation.

So because the teen was not a threat, the FBI has no interest in figuring out what went wrong??? What a farce. Time for them to provoke another nut case to build a bomb, so they can take credit for discovering the plot.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2014, landmark wrote:
So because the teen was not a threat, the FBI has no interest in figuring out what went wrong??? What a farce. Time for them to provoke another nut case to build a bomb, so they can take credit for discovering the plot.

They probably just dropped out of the case of whether the kid was some sort of security risk...not in trying to figure out what went wrong with security, which is probably abundantly clear to them, now.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Why are 16 year olds not allowed to get to the top of the World Trade Center undetected anyway?

Tommy
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Special Forces candidate that kid is.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
An Airport Security spokesman said that the kid was able to get to the plane because it was dark outside and the camera's were only able to show a dim image, making it difficult for security to see him.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ah, right. Good to know we are safe against daylight attacks. Never liked taking those red-eye flights anyway.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Are the odds on offer a million to one on at night time and at day time a million to one against perhaps?

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Tommy, I think there may be money to be made in the twilight hours if you play your cards right.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2014, tommy wrote:
Since you claim it's a million to one chance then how did you figure them odds out?

And are you offering a million to one?

Nope, just a guess on my part.

OTOH, why are you saying that ONE person finding a loophole means "all that security is wasted"?

Does the thought pattern run like this:

"Hey! Somebody got through by running across the field and hiding in a plane. So let's disband all these security measures. If someone wants to bring a bomb or a weapon onto a plane, why should we make him run across an open field and risk his life hiding in a wheel well? Just let him waltz it through the terminal in ease and comfort?"

I think I saw on the news that an airline official stated that "one in four" people who hide in wheel wells survive the flight. However, we don't know how easy it is to GET to the well or get up into it in the first place.

My point is that this exception does NOT mean that security as a whole is wasted.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Why are you saying I said something I didn't?

Are you from NYC?

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » WOW! Now Here Is Something Incredible! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL