The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » 'Squeeze' method of holding poker hand (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Hi all,
This is probably a more historic question. I was watching the Giorgio hand mucking DVDs the other day and in some of the performances he views his hand in a rather unconventional way. I was wondering if this technique of viewing the hand related to the Bee 'Squeezers (?)' playing cards and why this method was employed to view the cards.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
When we played draw poker it was a common thing to squeeze but it had nothing to do with the backs. It was just fun more or less but can cause misreads. One can use a torn off corner to mislead an opponent if they are cheating by piping your hand in one way or another.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Cheers Tommy for your input.
I should clarify the point on the 'Squeezer' back design, I was wondering whether this squeeze technique was how these cards got there name, not whether these cards are the only cards that can be squeezed.
I found an interesting article over at theory 11 that clarified a few things, however I would still love to know more about squeezing too peek at the whole cards.
http://www.theory11.com/news/mysterium-t......ore-5165
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Prior to the pips being put in the corners, as they were on the original Squeezers, a player had to get a look almost the entire face of the card to see value and suit - and do so one playing card at a time. It was extremely easy to tip a card (or cards) to anybody even glancing towards your seat.

The "squeeze technique" was quite revolutionary at the time, as it allowed a player to protect their hand while they looked at ALL the cards in their hand at ONE time, with only a tight spread (or "squeeze")... something we very much take for granted being able to do today.

Too, note that Squeezers were around before Giorgio was.

As an aside, I thought Giorgio handled playing cards with supreme grace in those DVD's. The guy had huge mitts, and yet through all the scenes they filmed for that DVD set, I can't think of one instance where he didn't absolutely excel at handling the cards.
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Thank you very much for that additional info Silverking.
I totally agree with your aside as well, it was quite an amazing project. It is a real shame that he passed away before he could release his dice DVD I've heard wonderful things about his work with dice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » 'Squeeze' method of holding poker hand (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL